Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

35 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Almost no snow downtown. Just moved into a new office right above the Bull. DM me if you want to know how long the line is to get a picture with his balls :lol:

5F575EB8-0337-4886-8FA6-B81F9CB0536B.thumb.jpeg.ed0293f7c4813eacbcd4d48735738e67.jpeg

There was some around Foley Sq and City Hall. Lots of slush and I could see shoveled snow. In such marginal events the small things make a difference. Like a steam pipe runs under one street and not another. Also high profile locations get super vigilant about snow removal. You need to leave that initial base layer alone to acclumate on top when its above freezing. Plus this was a grassy surfaces type storm. So it'll be winter wonderland in the large parks and look like a rainy day in some actual neighborhoods. At least the other boros have small backyards where it sticks and it can build out from there.

Midtown can be even worse than lower Manhattan. 

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I remember 2/10/10 taking forever to switch over from sleet to snow in Long Beach which held accums down. 2/8/13 was another storm which had sleet linger on forever etc. It’s just awful growing up a snow weenie in Long Beach. And Winter 2014-15 and the massive Jan 2016 blizzard where it was actually good on the south shore I missed living in TX. So I earned my almost 5” of paste this morning haha. 

let's hope we can get another 2 foot plus snowstorm sometime this decade and you're here for it to make up for January 2016 lol

As far as I can recall, 20"+ at Long Beach has only happened in February 1983, January 1996, PD2 2003, January 2016.  So in spite of this new era of big snows, it still only happens once a decade.

20 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I can’t even imagine liking snow and living in downtown Manhattan. Absolute worst place to be for snow. I think even worse than the south shore in terms of accumulating. I worked there for several years basically needs to be 32 or below and heavy to accumulate. 

Yeah because on the south shore we get nice wintry scenes even in April when it snows hard (1996, 2003, 2018).  Imagine living near Times Square with all that heat and all those lights lol and traffic too.

8 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

RGEM once again did very well with temps but was too dry until the last minute.

I wonder what the melted amount is from the snow. @NorthShoreWx usually does it for Smithtown. This snow is very wet so I’m thinking at least 0.6” liquid fell to make the about 5” of snow. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I wonder what the melted amount is from the snow. @NorthShoreWx usually does it for Smithtown. This snow is very wet so I’m thinking at least 0.6” liquid fell to make the about 5” of snow. 

8:1 do you think?

Imagine what this would have been like in very cold weather and 20:1 ratios that would be a foot of snow lol.  15 inches at 25:1 which is usually the best we see around here.

I'd say this was one of the best snowfall forecasts ever by the NWS, which is pretty easy to see from the graphic of reported snowfall vs the NWS predictions above (reproduced the regional one, below, as it includes NWS Philly and NYC forecasts).  Areas along 78 generally got 2.5-3.5" with little to no rain but some sleet as predicted, areas along/N of 80 generally got 4-6" with all snow as predicted (even including the Bronx), while areas south of about Ewing to Perth Amboy generally got 1" or less, as predicted.  And their prediction for my house in Metuchen was 2" and I got...wait for it...2".  

The only area their forecast was a bit low was some of NYC and adjacent NENJ, where there were predictions for 2-4/3-5" and most got 1-3" (at least for central/southern NYC and eastern Union/Esses and Hudson); the LI and Hudson Valley forecasts were also quite good, with ~2" on the south shore of LI up to 5" on the north shore, as predicted and 5-7" for most of the Hudson Valley as predicted.  I still think the Central Park measurement of 1.8" was quite low, given nearby LGA getting 2.7" and another report in Manhattan of 3.0", as well as the likelihood of compaction reducing their measurement.  

fC1FwQt.png

WL69Gb4.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

No I mean just for the northern part of the city, like if we had one official measuring location in each borough lol.

Yea maybe I still like Bronx Zoo best because of it's central location in the Bronx.

Van Cortlandt Park/Woodlawn/Riverdale area is definitely the coldest in the city. It even seems like it did better than Westchester along the sound. I technically live in Westchester but am a few blocks from Van Cortlandt park and have sometimes stayed snow when places like New Rochelle, Larchmont have mixed.     

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dWave said:

There was some around Foley Sq and City Hall. Lots of slush and I could see shoveled snow. In such marginal events the small things make a difference. Like a steam pipe runs under one street and not another. Also high profile locations get super vigilant about snow removal. You need to leave that initial base layer alone to acclumate on top when its above freezing. Plus this was a grassy surfaces type storm. So it'll be winter wonderland in the large parks and look like a rainy day in some actual neighborhoods. At least the other boros have small backyards where it sticks and it can build out from there.

Midtown can be even worse than lower Manhattan. 

I'm sure the tall buildings can keep totals down, especially if your down wind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

I'd say this was one of the best snowfall forecasts ever by the NWS, which is pretty easy to see from the graphic of reported snowfall vs the NWS predictions above (reproduced the regional one, below, as it includes NWS Philly and NYC forecasts).  Areas along 78 generally got 2.5-3.5" with little to no rain but some sleet as predicted, areas along/N of 80 generally got 4-6" with all snow as predicted (even including the Bronx), while areas south of about Ewing to Perth Amboy generally got 1" or less, as predicted.  And their prediction for my house in Metuchen was 2" and I got...wait for it...2".  

The only area their forecast was a bit low was some of NYC and adjacent NENJ, where there were predictions for 2-4/3-5" and most got 1-3" (at least for central/southern NYC and eastern Union/Esses and Hudson); the LI and Hudson Valley forecasts were also quite good, with ~2" on the south shore of LI up to 5" on the north shore, as predicted and 5-7" for most of the Hudson Valley as predicted.  I still think the Central Park measurement of 1.8" was quite low, given nearby LGA getting 2.7" and another report in Manhattan of 3.0", as well as the likelihood of compaction reducing their measurement.  

fC1FwQt.png

WL69Gb4.png

I live stone's throw from LGA, and I wonder if their total was actually high. I don't think we got 2.7" here

• Like 1