• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

Central Park observations after midnight recorded 0.26 inches liquid with snow the entire time and temperatures 32-33 degrees. Anything less than 2.0 inches after midnight will be very suspect. Combined with the 0.9 inches of snow recorded before midnight the storm total should be at least 2.9 inches, probably closer to 3.5.

They will find a way to F it up and under measure, they usually do.

• Like 1

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park observations after midnight recorded 0.26 inches liquid with snow the entire time and temperatures 32-33 degrees. Anything less than 2.0 inches after midnight will be very suspect. Combined with the 0.9 inches of snow recorded before midnight the storm total should be at least 2.9 inches, probably closer to 3.5.

They will find a way to F it up and under measure, they usually do.

Yea it seems hard to believe they would only end up with 1.3 inches.

10 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

By woodlawn

Looks like a east west gradient. I measured about 2.5", 3" in a few spots. This is near Pelham Pkwy. Drove to New Rochelle and its a little less snow, at least right on the Sound. 1.5" estimate.

Heavy and wet to move though might as well be 6"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Stayed all snow also and never got above 32. Euro FTW

NAM was too warm for once but we probably had no room for error. At times there were those large/clumpy snowflakes that happen when there's partial melting aloft, so we were close to going to sleet. But for once this winter we won the coin flip lol. 

Ending as mist here. Assuming 5" here which seems to be the consensus for N Shore obs, I'd be up to 6.5" for the winter or maybe a little under. Looks like Central Park futility lives on. :( 

• Like 1

I got an average of 3.4” with a max depth of 4.0” in two spots and a min depth of 2.5”. Low was 32.4, didn’t even dip below freezing. Decent little event. I hate measuring in storms with mega drifts several feet high and bare grass 10 feet away.

On the south shore I measured roughly 1.5” with my finger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hooralph said:

I'm on the UWS in the low 100s. I just went outside for the first time this AM and my first thought was - about a 2" snowfall.

yea was hovering around 34 yesterday evening and 33 overnight in Manhattan. Not gonna do it in order to sufficiently accumulate or to stay all snow (not actually sure if it changed over to sleet or rain tho).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Upon further inspection, it’s a healthy 2”. I’d say with compaction it was probably 2.5 or so.

EWR had 1.7 but the UHI is bigger in these events there, that said they also had a bit more QPF from that burst at 9-10pm and probably got 0.2-0.3 more from that.  I think if you factor in colder at NYC with maybe a tad less QPF they might have underdone it by 0.3 or so.   I could see it being 2.1-2 but the problem is the compaction is always a factor when it stops snowing 3 hours before the 6 hourly obs

• Like 1