Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

2 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

It’s maybe a little better for the immediate coast since winds veer more easterly then ENE into the event but if the snow breaks up, could be dealing with 35-36 and trying to restart the snow/accumulate which will be very hard. Eventually warm mid level air probably will make it in which means it goes to sleet or more likely rain. That’s why these maps showing the N to S shore accumulation contrast make sense. On the N shore and just inland temps are near freezing or a little above which makes accumulating a lot easier. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It’s maybe a little better for the immediate coast since winds veer more easterly then ENE into the event but if the snow breaks up, could be dealing with 35-36 and trying to restart the snow/accumulate which will be very hard. Eventually warm mid level air probably will make it in which means it goes to sleet or more likely rain. That’s why these maps showing the N to S shore accumulation contrast make sense. On the N shore and just inland temps are near freezing or a little above which makes accumulating a lot easier. 

I specifically posted RGEM because it has slight warm bias but usually pretty good with temps. Factoring in wet bulb my guess would be 32-33 North Shore/Northern NYC and 33-35 South Shore/Southern NYC during height of precip. 

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I specifically posted RGEM because it has slight warm bias but usually pretty good with temps. Factoring in wet bulb my guess would be 32-33 North Shore/Northern NYC and 33-35 South Shore/Southern NYC during height of precip. 

Look at dew points....

32 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

wouldn't ENE be better than easterly?

NE wind would be ideal.

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

HREF essentially a carbon copy from 0z-4-6” for most of the city and LI, 2-4” extreme S shore, 6”+ for most north of the city. A little surprised. Hope it’s right. 

Honestly - I would not be surprised if WSW are pushed further south this evening or overnight (as the storm begins). There is a significant amount of energy with this system and High Res models continue to show rather strong h7 dynamics. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Honestly - I would not be surprised if WSW are pushed further south this evening or overnight (as the storm begins). There is a significant amount of energy with this system and High Res models continue to show rather strong h7 dynamics. 

Starting to get November 2018 vibes a little with amounts increasing more and more as event approaches but also vary this could still bust low too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

So far I’m glad the 12z models got a little more encouraging but it’s a nowcast situation with this IMO. Hopefully we don’t see the sleet line racing north tonight. 

• Like 5

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Euro got warmer but is still printing out alot of snow

Yes more mixing but actually increased snow totals for most areas compared to 0Z

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ecmwf_full&p=prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp&rh=2023022712&fh=18&r=us_ne&dpdt=&mc=

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ecmwf_full&p=sn10_acc-imp&rh=2023022712&fh=36&r=us_ne&dpdt=&mc=

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Nice thump of snow on the Euro. Everything appears to be on track for tonight, but we'll be nowcasting as jm1220 said. 

Nothing much has really changed except maybe higher confidence in >2 inches of snow from CPK northward due to increased moisture. The borderline areas are still borderline but I think the more thumpy it comes in the more it will benefit everybody . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Euro once again too cold in a SWFE 2 days out but hopefully the front end thump idea happens. 

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Euro once again too cold in a SWFE 2 days out but hopefully the front end thump idea happens. 

Probably a burst of heavy snow 9 pm-1 am or so, then on and off sleet when light vs snow when heavier until morning north shore/Northern NYC and on and off sleet and light rain south shore/southern NYC. Probably everyone in the metro flips to light rain/drizzle tomorrow morning before ending.  

27 minutes ago, mannynyc said:

8 inches of snow forecasted is generally when they start calling school in the City. Not happening here. 

Yup, and you'd need that amount on pavement not grassy surfaces. Just about 0% chance unless it suddenly gets 5 degrees colder. Since it's remote learning they may lower the bar?