Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

7 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nor sure why I'm looking at the ukie but it cut way back. Basically nothing for nyc, south shore and ne nj

I'm not too concerned about it at this stage and it also cut back on precip in general which probably made it a warmer outcome. 

If the Euro cuts back a significant amount I'll be concerned but the other models seem to be holding steady. If this bumps back north at the end, no one should be surprised because almost every SWFE does that and it'll mean a lot for many of us since most of this subforum has no margin for error. I'm hopeful for a good event here but am totally prepared if at the last second it fails like the others. Just add that to the kicks to the teeth from this "winter". 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

And it was the first to show snow lol

It's a terrible model lately, similar to NAM it shows very different things run to run. However I believe the HRRR, GFS, and Euro are currently the only models that look decent for NYC/Coast.   

I looked again and RGEM is ok too. 

I'm defining decent as 2+ inches.   

• Like 1

UKMET is a crazy model that I don't put much stock in, but NAM and RGEM are dangerously close to giving us almost nothing here. Definitely nervous being so close to the edge. Could get 4 inches or just a slushy coating. I'm anxiously waiting for the Euro, hoping it holds its colder solution to give me more confidence that there's a decent chance that we'll get a few inches here. 

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

The HRRR usually did pretty well with winter storms last year inside of 18 hours so that's probably the model I'd go with once we hit tomorrow and of course paying attention to the most important stuff like temperature, dewpoint, and radar.

We're close to nowcast time but I'd say we have until 12z tomorrow before we can breathe the "last second SWFE north bump isn't happening" sigh of relief. We're not at the range where HRRR and RAP are particularly useful. Hopefully the NAM is just a touch too warm at the mid levels, but it will almost certainly be more correct than other models. As far as I saw the other models basically held serve so far.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We're close to nowcast time but I'd say we have until 12z tomorrow before we can breathe the "last second SWFE north bump isn't happening" sigh of relief. We're not at the range where HRRR and RAP are particularly useful. Hopefully the NAM is just a touch too warm at the mid levels, but it will almost certainly be more correct than other models. As far as I saw the other models basically held serve so far.

Euro looks good

• Like 3

The night before the snowfall that could provide ten times as much snow vs. what we've had this entire winter through almost the end of February and there's nobody posting on the Euro.  Might have to give you folks a timeout, lol.  Anyway, not going to do analysis, other than to say the output is very similar to 18Z, which is good, as other models have pulled back a bit on snowfall vs. 18Z (not hugely, but moreso on the southern fringes, i.e., where I live).  

image.gif.70e75d16766956fb1c85a6a2f6b74937.gif

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

The night before the snowfall that could provide ten times as much snow vs. what we've had this entire winter through almost the end of February and there's nobody posting on the Euro.  Might have to give you folks a timeout, lol.  Anyway, not going to do analysis, other than to say the output is very similar to 18Z, which is good, as other models have pulled back a bit on snowfall vs. 18Z (not hugely, but moreso on the southern fringes, i.e., where I live).  

image.gif.70e75d16766956fb1c85a6a2f6b74937.gif

You speak the truth but in all fairness I think that people are so beaten down by this winter that they wont believe anything (even if the morning models hold serve) until they see it outside their windows 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

You speak the truth but in all fairness I think that people are so beaten down by this winter that they wont believe anything (even if the morning models hold serve) until they see it outside their windows 

And even when the snow is on the ground they still might not believe it. It'll feel like a dream the way this winter is going. 

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

He should just enjoy this event since we haven't seen any snow this year.

Seeing snow fall is like seeing the Mets win a playoff game.

There is definitely bust potential on both the upside and downside especially for those who are closer to the southern edge of the snow line IMO. Nowcasting will be important as we approach evening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Maybe a Nov 2018 redux?

I am going to go out on a limb here but I think places closer to the southern edge are going to do better then currently forecast. I am sticking with 2-4" for my area in Middlesex County primarily north of the Driscoll Bridge. We don't even have a WWA here yet meanwhile Somerset Co. to my west does, Union Co. to my north does and Staten Island to my east does. Makes no sense IMO.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2