Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think everyone but probably NYC east is under one, that may be due to fact nothing much has happened this year somewhat.  But I think you may see Bronx and all NJ counties from Hudson west issued a WWA

an inch of snow is fine, no need to get greedy, as long as it doesn't change to rain until the very end, I'm happy

8 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Winter storm watches in Orange County. Hopefully that becomes a warning with the 4 pm update. 

What town are you in in Orange county? I had to drive down the mountain into Pine Island early this morning to get kerosene. Can't get it around here anymore. 

Just now, psv88 said:

Will be a big south shore/north shore difference with this one. Could see Long Beach with 1” and Port Jeff with 4”

It reminds me of a few of the other storms like this-- December 2005 (though I think that was more east-west) and March 1992 (which may be an analog for this storm.)

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It reminds me of a few of the other storms like this-- December 2005 (though I think that was more east-west) and March 1992 (which may be an analog for this storm.)

The CIPS analogs showed 1/6/89 and 2/21/05 as analogs but both of those setups were better for us than this is.  You did not have as strong a primary and air mass in place was better.  For somewhere like BDL its possible they are closer to those sort of events 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The CIPS analogs showed 1/6/89 and 2/21/05 as analogs but both of those setups were better for us than this is.  You did not have as strong a primary and air mass in place was better.  For somewhere like BDL its possible they are closer to those sort of events 

Can you research the two storms in March 1992 and find out the totals for both Central Park and JFK, I'm trying to remember if they were the ones I'm remembering, 6.2" at Central Park for the first one, first 6"+ snowstorm in years, but less at JFK, day time storm.  Second storm was predicted to be 5-8 too, because it was colder, night time storm, but it was drier and we ended up with 3-5.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Can you research the two storms in March 1992 and find out the totals for both Central Park and JFK, I'm trying to remember if they were the ones I'm remembering, 6.2" at Central Park for the first one, first 6"+ snowstorm in years, but less at JFK, day time storm.  Second storm was predicted to be 5-8 too, because it was colder, night time storm, but it was drier and we ended up with 3-5.

The one around st Patricks day came in at night and lasted thru the next morning. The one a few days later started late afternoon and was done by midnight (USAir crash at lga)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The one around st Patricks day came in at night and lasted thru the next morning. The one a few days later started late afternoon and was done by midnight (USAir crash at lga)

Thanks the first one was the one with marginal conditions where Central Park got 6 inches and JFK got like 3 and the second one was the colder one that was supposed to give us 5-8 but ended earlier than expected and we only got like 3-5 and closer to 3 not 5.  Was that second one after the equinox?

Just now, allgame830 said:

I am still currently sitting at 32 degrees with complete overcast… supposed to have a high of 46 that ain’t happening unless the sun comes out like now. Not sure if that will effect tomorrow but I guess we’ll see.

This is one of our bigger busts and it's weird to see a bust on the colder side.

When was the last time we busted by 10 or more degrees on the colder side IN WINTER?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks the first one was the one with marginal conditions where Central Park got 6 inches and JFK got like 3 and the second one was the colder one that was supposed to give us 5-8 but ended earlier than expected and we only got like 3-5 and closer to 3 not 5.  Was that second one after the equinox?

The 22nd

• Thanks 1

Good sign that the Euro isn’t ticking back north yet. If it’s this wrong this close in it has a major problem. 

We’re seeing especially in the meso models a significant south/north shore difference and I agree with it. The onshore winds are never good right along the coast and we have a marginal setup as is. This isn’t an especially cold airmass it’s coming into. If I had to guess I’d say an inch or so in Staten Island, southern NYC, LI and along I-78. Along I-80 and northern half of NYC and LI probably 2-4” and once you’re in the Hudson Valley and CT more like 4-7”.

Usual caveat too about whether the snow comes in like a wall or it starts shredding up. If like a wall it’ll accumulate everywhere quickly and also hold the warm air aloft back somewhat. If it comes in shredded it obviously won’t accumulate as fast or at all if the coast is battling 35-36 degree surface temps and also the warm air aloft will have an easier time advancing in the precip breaks so when it does come down heavier again it might be sleet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Looks good 10 to 1 but I do not have the Kutchera 

Taking ratios into account, I would shave an inch to inch and a half off the Euro totals. That would still be a solid 3 to 3 and a half inches for NYC and my area. I would gladly sign up for that. I just hope that the NAM isn't right. As others have pointed out, it can sometimes do a good job with sneaky warm layers even though it's a terrible model overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sussexcountyobs said:

What town are you in in Orange county? I had to drive down the mountain into Pine Island early this morning to get kerosene. Can't get it around here anymore. 

Highland mills. It’s right in between Central Valley and Cornwall. Most of the town 500 to 800 feet ASL. 

• Like 1