Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

3 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Never been to Central Park?! That's nuts as it's truly one of the greatest urban parks in the world. Also, how can you hate it without ever having been there?

I've been to a lot of parks, I hate it because of what it stands for and its origins.  I love Prospect Park though.  Just not into Manhattan snobbery.

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm much more partial to Prospect Park it's where I grew up.  I've always considered Manhattan and Central Park where the elitist of the elite hang out and I'm not into that kind of snobbery.  I also don't like the obsession over Central Park weather, New York City is a lot larger than just that one park and I feel the conditions over the entire city need to be taken into account when considering records....this discussion has been had on this forum ad infinitum, whether it's averaging of the park plus the two (or three airports if you also consider Newark) or taking the highest and lowest of all of them combined for the records.  I happen to support all of that since it gives a much fuller picture of the city than just one location which isn't even accurate in its measurements of snowfall, wind or temperature.  I've been to the Bronx Zoo and Prospect Park several times, just never Central Park.

Incredibly ignorant statement. Elitist? You realize the northern section of the park goes up into Harlem right? The park has a great mix of people. You really sound like an idiot with that comment, sorry man. The park is a melting pot, just like the city, filled with culture. 

• Like 4

I've been to a lot of parks, I hate it because of what it stands for and its origins.  I love Prospect Park though.  Just not into Manhattan snobbery.

Hard disagree on this. I don’t have an interest in living in the city at this point in my life (I love having my home and yard, and the conveniences of Morris County along with the woods and green space close by, along with an hour drive down the shore), but Manhattan is such a great place to visit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't move anything, I've always viewed New York City as a region and not a point

Another example is the heat record being 107 at LGA not 106 from Central Park.

The point being New York City consists of 5 boroughs not one malfunctioning piece of equipment in a Park where no one lives.

I'm proud to say in my 40+ years of living in the region I've never been to Central Park and never plan on ever going there. I hate the place.

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You hate a (great) place that you've never been? You do realize that CP is one of the great city parks in the world, right? I think that you need to go take a walk, maybe on a summer evening when the place is hopping with activity, maybe when there's a show at Summerstage and there's music in the air after you've spent some time at The Met or the Zoo. I think you're cheating yourself out of a prime experience that you can only get in a few cities around the world.

Anyway... This freezing fog this morning kinda sux, good thing it's finally settling out. 

Good morning Liberty. Gravity speaks wisdom. Many of us have had a good experience in the park that we never forget.  As a late college teen I remember taking a young lady to the Delacorte Theater to see Loves Labors Lost and Richard 3rd. The tickets at that time (late 60’s) were free. 15 years later I went on a 10th year second honeymoon, by renting a room overlooking the park in the same hotel that Perry Como made famous in his show Christmas in NY. I remember my love riding the merry go round and getting lost in the children’s castle. She called to me from the top window saying that she couldn’t find her way out. One of the little ones led her out. Being already 10 years married I knew to keep all the cute things I thought of left unsaid. I remember our ride on the horse and buggy. Most of all walking hand in hand along the varied pathways will never leave my memory. Parks in all the boroughs are worth visiting, none are worth hating. Stay well, as always ….

• Like 6

Just now, North and West said:

Hard disagree on this. I have zero interest in ever living in the city (love having my home and yard, and the conveniences of Morris County along with the woods and green space close by), but Manhattan is such a great place to visit.

I guess it's what we're all used to.  I grew up in Brooklyn and spent most of my childhood between Church and Caton near Ocean Parkway and we used to go to Prospect Park every weekend.  The only time I ever went to Manhattan was if I was working there.

8 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Liberty. Gravity speaks wisdom. Many of us that have had a good experience in the park that we never forget.  As a late college teen I remember taking a young lady to the Delacorte Theater to see Loves Labors Lost and Richard 3rd. The tickets at that time (late 60’s) were free. 15 years later I went on a 10th year second honeymoon, by renting a room overlooking the park in the same hotel that Perry Como made famous in his show Christmas in NY. I remember my love riding the merry go round and getting lost in the children’s castle. She called to me from the top window saying that she couldn’t find her way out. One of the little ones led her out. Being already 10 years married I knew to keep all the cute things I thought of left unsaid. I remember our ride on the horse and buggy. Most of all walking hand in hand along the varied pathways will never leave my memory. Parks in all the boroughs are worth visiting, none are worth hating. Stay well, as always ….

Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing.  Sometimes I wish I grew up in that time period, it seems like such a wonderful time.  Growing up in the late 70s and early 80s in New York City was pretty rough-- for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't move anything, I've always viewed New York City as a region and not a point

Another example is the heat record being 107 at LGA not 106 from Central Park.

The point being New York City consists of 5 boroughs not one malfunctioning piece of equipment in a Park where no one lives.

I'm proud to say in my 40+ years of living in the region I've never been to Central Park and never plan on ever going there. I hate the place.

I fly out of Jfk multiple times a week for close to 20 years.

It has its own weather separate from NYC for two reasons: 

Near the southern shore

Removed from the UHI with lots of grassy open space in and around it

it is more representative of Central and southern Long Island, and can be much cooler in the summer or warmer in the winter than nearby LGA. on nights with radiational cooling, it also cools much quicker than LGA.

This particularly affects snowfall: very often rain, or on the heavier end of snow for coastal storms.

in an a city, where everything land wise is small, JFK is the size of Manhattan from the Battery all the way up into the 100s.  as a result, it has a different weather environment.

On another note, but similar, 19° in Westchester this morning I drove down to LaGuardia 32°.

I’m a similar distance from Midtown Manhattan that JFK is. My snowfall and my temperatures are not representative of Central Park in anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Incredibly ignorant statement. Elitist? You realize the northern section of the park goes up into Harlem right? The park has a great mix of people. You really sound like an idiot with that comment, sorry man. The park is a melting pot, just like the city, filled with culture. 

I know it is, but I'm talking moreso about what Manhattan has turned into with all those huge skyscrapers all around.  But seeing some of these passionate posts actually makes me want to see it.  I've always wanted to go birding there.  So I might do that this summer.

Harlem has its own issues with gentrification but I know there are some historical places that I would love to see.

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

If we could get a separate set of equipment to measure weather info at Prospect Park that would be awesome, I've been going there since I was 5....I used to play frisbee there with my Dad!

Anthony / MJO loves the snow and he still lives in Bklyn so maybe he will do us a solid and Skitch on over to prospect park on snowy days with his yardstick in hand ?  Just a thought 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Near the southern shore

it is more representative of Central and southern Long Island, and can be much cooler in the summer or warmer in the winter than nearby LGA. on nights with radiational cooling, it also cools much quicker than LGA.

This particularly affects snowfall: very often rain, or on the heavier end of snow for coastal storms.

in an a city, where everything land wise is small, JFK is the size of Manhattan from the Battery all the way up into the 100s.  as a result, it has a different weather environment.

On another note, but similar, 19° in Westchester this morning I drove down to LaGuardia 32°.

I’m a similar distance from Midtown Manhattan that JFK is. My snowfall and my temperatures are not representative of Central Park in anyway.

It's also similar to the area from Coney Island to the Rockaways.  Having spent a lot of time near Sheepshead Bay when I was younger, I think it matched up with JFK really well.  I'm a big advocate of using all the data from all the City airports plus the Park because you get the full picture of what the area is like.  LGA is better for The Bronx and Northern Queens, Central Park for Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn and JFK for Southern Queens and Southern Brooklyn.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I know it is, but I'm talking moreso about what Manhattan has turned into with all those huge skyscrapers all around.  But seeing some of these passionate posts actually makes me want to see it.  I've always wanted to go birding there.  So I might do that this summer.

Harlem has its own issues with gentrification but I'm there are some historical places that I would love to see.

Glad you may reconsider visiting as it's an absolute gem (especially the less crowded northern end) and you won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ILoveWinter said:

Glad you may reconsider visiting as it's an absolute gem (especially the less crowded northern end) and you won't be disappointed. 

Seeing all those gorgeous birds in videos and how the foliage changes in the fall when I watch the NYC Marathon actually makes me want to go there.  It is weird I haven't been there even once in the 40 plus years I've been living in the area lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Near the southern shore

Yes another morning where the UHI in full affect. 19 here this morning

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Yes another morning where the UHI in full affect. 19 here this morning

It would be interesting to see the JFK low for this morning, they cool well on raditional cooling nights.  Of course the temperature will recover quickly today, I have the sun shining in my face already lol.

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

@LibertyBell Sorry, due to having admitted to being uninformed in addition to extreme bias your opinion carries very little weight :lmao: 

Hey I never said I didn't like parks though, I just happened to like Prospect Park more because I grew up there and went there all the time.

I grew up in Brooklyn and I have been to both Central Park and ( I saw Simon and Garfunkel and quite a few others there but I stray ) Prospect park many times and here is my advice if you plan on visiting either one of these beautiful, cultural, historical, lovely places = Do NOT Go to either one at Night and do NOT walk barefoot as you might step in something that did NOT come out of a dog in other news it is currently 27 degrees in New City 

• Haha 3