Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

42 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Looks like they're leaning towards advisory for the immediate N suburbs and N from there. Based on today it should probably be one tier south to include the N shore and N parts of the city. There could be a pretty big difference between the south and north shores in this one because we have an ESE surface wind. The ocean is the coldest it gets all year but it still makes a difference in these marginal setups. 

Same in the City: one of those storms that could put down 2" at JFK, 4" at LGA/CPK and 6" in Riverdale.  Same in my neck of the woods, where we could see 2" in Edison, 4" in Summit and 6" in Parsippany.  At this point, I'll take 2" and then rain, just to see some snow for a few hours, but I won't turn down 4-6" either, lol.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Same in the City: one of those storms that could put down 2" at JFK, 4" at LGA/CPK and 6" in Riverdale.  Same in my neck of the woods, where we could see 2" in Edison, 4" in Summit and 6" in Parsippany.  At this point, I'll take 2" and then rain, just to see some snow for a few hours, but I won't turn down 4-6" either, lol.  

I don't think it's going to be cold enough or juicy enough to get 6 inches in Riverdale (And I'm only focused on that because I live right near Riverdale) but I do agree with the overall point that there could be some noticeable differences across the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

NWS still not buying more than a few inches south of 80 and has 1" or less south of 78, but they did move a little snowier vs. this morning (when they had no snow south of 78) and they do tend to not like making big jumps with model jumps, which kind of makes sense...

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

Seems a bit more realistic than the first map. Hard to believe that places like Southern Westchester might be getting their first WWA advisory all season.

1 hour ago, USCG RS said:

NYC plays it cards right and we might actually see an average season. In theory, we could see an above average snowfall after this dismal winter. 

That would take 29.4 inches more of snow from this point forward. That would be a top 5 period going forward through April. I doubt it but I’d love it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

That would take 29.4 inches more of snow from this point forward. That would be a top 5 period going forward through April. I doubt it but I’d love it.

It would be the equalizer in this crazy winter. The cold air might even stay in to mid spring,wherever the cold and warm meet ..alot of precip will fall..i wouldnt discount anything after watching snow fall in southern california,and still snowing in some parts . :lol:

• Like 2

So the EPS has 100% chance of 1".       GFS is 50%.       1" of what?         Skew T shows when there is precipitation the freezing level rises to 300 feet above the surface anyway.      High water content and it will disappear w/o the slightest urging.

1677607200-VUyjqUgq2aY.png

6 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

It would be the equalizer in this crazy winter. The cold air might even stay in to mid spring,wherever the cold and warm meet ..alot of precip will fall..i wouldnt discount anything after watching snow fall in southern california,and still snowing in some parts . :lol:

It's hard to predict 25+ inches of snow during a time period where NYC historically has never had a 12+ storm. Would need to see many different snow events in March for this to happen. Nothing is impossible but the odds are unlikely.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

It's hard to predict 25+ inches of snow during a time period where NYC historically has never had a 12+ storm. Would need to see many different snow events in March for this to happen. Nothing is impossible but the odds are unlikely.   

No kidding but you never know. The volatility will be there,just need the right mix. Also a delayed winter might mean a change in our planets atmosphere with a connection to our core and magnetic fields associated with it. Basically our planet is going thru a lot of changes that also affect our weather,not including man made climate change..i will say if it ever snows in june then we've all had it!! :lol:

7 minutes ago, ThatHurricane said:

NAM at 63 hrs (rain-snow line has moved to Putnam county by this time). Totals will be lower due to mixing/low ratios near the coast

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 21-34-27 Models NAM — Pivotal Weather.png

Looks maybe very slightly colder than 18z. Very big north shore/south shore difference. I get 4" (using 10-1, in reality it's probably 3"), the barrier islands maybe an inch. Which I can believe-ESE winds are no good any time of the year for snow there but especially when we have such a marginal airmass.

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Looks maybe very slightly colder than 18z. Very big north shore/south shore difference. I get 4", the barrier islands maybe an inch. Which I can believe-ESE winds are no good any time of the year for snow there but especially when we have such a marginal airmass.

Same in the city, it has 4” north bronx and less than 1” for jfk. (I'm going by Kuchera maps).