Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023

Rjay

Morning thoughts…

It will be mostly cloudy with some showers and perhaps a thundershower. Some areas could see a few sleet pellets early on. High temperatures will reach the upper 40s and lower 50s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 48°

Newark: 50°

Philadelphia: 55°

Tomorrow will be milder as the sun returns. 

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 52.9°; 15-Year: 53.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 53.8°; 15-Year: 54.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 56.0°; 15-Year: 56.7°

The last 7 days of March are averaging     47degs.(41/53) or Normal+.

Month to date is     43.9[+2.1].         March should end at      44.6[+1.8].

Reached 58 here yesterday at midnight---55 day---at 6pm.

Today:     47-51, wind e.-breezy, cloudy, rain in PM and tonight, 42 tomorrow AM.

47*(70%RH) here at 7am{was 48* overnight}.      Really 47* all morning   47* at Noon.      46* at 1pm.     45* at 10pm.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Morning thoughts…

It will be mostly cloudy with some showers and perhaps a thundershower. Some areas could see a few sleet pellets early on. High temperatures will reach the upper 40s and lower 50s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 48°

Newark: 50°

Philadelphia: 55°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 52.9°; 15-Year: 53.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 53.8°; 15-Year: 54.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 56.0°; 15-Year: 56.7°

anyone in our area see any northern lights last night? I noticed there was a period of clearing between midnight and 3 am last night.

27 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I've got waves of pretty heavy sleet showers moving through for the last 20 minutes or so. At 35° it's mostly rain but in the heavier showers it tries to accumulate. 

honestly I would MUCH rather have clear skies last night to see that gorgeous northern lights display the rest of the CONUS has been seeing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

honestly I would MUCH rather have clear skies last night to see that gorgeous northern lights display the rest of the CONUS has been seeing.

Good luck in lynbrook, way to much light pollution. Why don’t you go to your Poconos house. I’m in Vermont. I should have looked for it last night but fell asleep early early after snowboarding all day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Good luck in lynbrook, way to much light pollution. Why don’t you go to your Poconos house. I’m in Vermont. I should have looked for it last night but fell asleep early early after snowboarding all day

Going tomorrow when it's going to be better weather.  I think the clouds would have blocked me from seeing them last night regardless.

If it's something that truly spectacular it will be seen from anywhere (barring clouds of course), the November 2001 Leonid storm was truly spectacular as was Comet Hale Bopp in 1997.  Both were easily visible from Lynbrook.  With the northern lights though you do need to be away from light pollution even for a really good display.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, saw this tweet from VA.

I've always wondered if there is even a subtle connection between big solar storms and weather on Earth.  Regardless, this seems to be the year of pronounced solar activity.  If this continues into next year, I wonder if we might see something amazing during the total solar eclipse coming up then.

Heavy snow fell across southern Wisconsin today. Milwaukee picked up 8.9" (old record: 5.2", 1933) and Madison saw 12.1" (old record: 5.0", 1899). That was Milwaukee's 7th highest daily snowfall on or after March 25th. It was Madison's 2nd highest daily snowfall on or after March 25th.

Meanwhile, the snow-starved Philadelphia to New York City area saw showers. Some sleet pellets mixed in early as if to taunt New Yorkers hoping for a spring miracle, reminding them about the winter that never was.

Following the system that brought the chilly rain to the region, tomorrow will turn fair and milder. A stiff breeze will create a blustery feel, even as the temperature rises well into the 50s and perhaps even lower 60s.

Showers are possible Monday night into Tuesday. Another round of showers is possible Wednesday into Thursday.

The first week of April could be somewhat cooler than normal. As has been the case throughout the winter and early part of spring, the coldest air will likely remain in western and central North America.

Historic experience with very low snowfall totals through February argues that a very snowy March or big snowstorm during March or April are unlikely. There were 16 winters that had less than 8" of snowfall through February in New York City. Just two (13%) had a 6" or greater snowstorm during March or April: 1889-1890: 6.0" on March 19th and 1991-1992: 6.2" on March 19th.

With just 2.3" snowfall through March 19, New York City is now extremely likely to finish the season with less than 10" of snow. Since 1869-70, all 10 winters with less than 8.5" of snow through March 19th wound up with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall. New York City is currently on a path that could culminate in its setting a new record for lowest seasonal snowfall.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +1.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.1°C for the week centered around March 15. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.98°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.26°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely prevail through at least mid-spring.

The SOI was -3.35 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.498 today.

On March 23 the MJO was in Phase 2 at an amplitude of 1.935 (RMM). The March 22-adjusted amplitude was 1.801 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 96% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal March (1991-2020 normal). March will likely finish with a mean temperature near 44.4° (1.6° above normal normal).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly sunny, breezy and much milder today. High temperatures will reach the upper 50s and lower 60s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 60°

Newark: 63°

Philadelphia: 63°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 53.3°; 15-Year: 53.9°

Newark: 30-Year: 54.2°; 15-Year: 55.1°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 56.4°; 15-Year: 57.1°

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last 6 days of March are averaging    48degs.(40/56) or +1.

Month to date is    43.9[+2.0].       March should end at    44.7[+1.9].

Reached 47 here yesterday, 45 daytime.

Today:   57-60, wind w.-breezy, m. sunny, 44 tomorrow AM.

45*(90%RH) here at 7am.      50* at 11am.      53* at Noon.        57* at 2pm.      60* at 3pm.     62* at 4pm.     64* at 5pm.      65* at 5:30pm.       57* at 10pm.

3 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

sun is to bright today..

It’s astounding out— wind hasn’t wrecked things here as I expected (yet). Long range shows rain next Saturday again. I hope not. Seems like every weekend has had one bad day - either really cold, or rainy - for many weeks now. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bkviking said:

It’s astounding out— wind hasn’t wrecked things here as I expected (yet). Long range shows rain next Saturday again. I hope not. Seems like every weekend has had one bad day - either really cold, or rainy - for many weeks now. 

there is some weird kind of power problem here, my power has gone out twice already.

sunny and dry which is awesome weather though I love deep blue skies

Records:

Highs:

NYC: 82 (2021)
EWR: 81 (2021)
LGA: 82 (2021)

Lows:

NYC: 20 (1960)
EWR: 19 (1960)
LGA: 20 (1960)

Historical:

1913 - The Ohio River Basin flood reached a peak. Ten inch rains over a wide area of the Ohio River Basin inundated cities in Ohio, drowning 467 persons, and causing 147 million dollars damage. The Miami River at Dayton reached a level eight feet higher than ever before. The flood, caused by warm weather and heavy rains, was the second mostly deadly of record for the nation. (David Ludlum)

1948: Good Friday tornadoes moved from Terre Haute to Redkey, Indiana killing 20 people. About 80% of the town of Coatesville was destroyed, and 16 people were killed. The Coatesville Carnegie Library was a total loss. The path was a half mile wide.

1954 - The temperature at Allaket, AK, plunged to 69 degrees below zero. (The Weather Channel)

1971 - Parts of northern and central Georgia experienced their worst snow and ice storm since 1935. Two day power outages ruined two million eggs at poultry hatches. Two persons were killed when a tree landed on their car. (25th-26th) (The Weather Channel)

1987 - A cold front crossing the Plateau Region produced high winds in Utah causing some property damage. Winds gusted to 51 mph at Salt Lake City. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Twenty cities in the southwestern U.S. reported new record high temperatures for the date. Afternoon highs of 73 degrees at Flagstaff AZ, 90 degrees at Sacramento CA, 95 degrees at Santa Maria CA, 95 degrees at Los Angeles CA, 99 degrees at Tucson AZ, and 100 degrees at Phoenix AZ set records for March. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - The Easter Bunny brought record warm temperatures to the central U.S. while such records were still welcome. A dozen cities reported record warm readings, including Dodge City KS with an afternoon high of 88 degrees. Strong southerly winds gusted to 51 mph at Dodge City, and reached 55 mph at Salina KS. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Fair weather prevailed across the nation for the second day in a row. Freezing temperatures were reported in the Middle Atlantic Coast Region in the wake of an early spring snowstorm. Afternoon highs were again in the 70s and 80s in the southeastern U.S., and for the ninth day in a row, temperatures in the southwestern U.S. reached the 90s. (The National Weather Summary)

• Like 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic