• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023

Rjay

I've been noticing a trend in southern NJ going back to January with a few pieces to it: 1) there is a persistent haze that rests over the horizon on sunny days, (2) light pollution turns the night sky a nautical almost twilight-esque blue color during clear conditions regardless of moon phase, and (3) the sky blackens like a summer thunderstorm on pretty much every afternoon that it rains. Is this the work of a temperature inversion? Dust in the atmosphere? Something else? 

I was wondering if anyone on the NY forum had noticed these phenomena. I've brought it to the attention of other folks with a mixed response, and I'd like to nail down the culprit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maxwell03 said:

I've been noticing a trend in southern NJ going back to January with a few pieces to it: 1) there is a persistent haze that rests over the horizon on sunny days, (2) light pollution turns the night sky a nautical almost twilight-esque blue color during clear conditions regardless of moon phase, and (3) the sky blackens like a summer thunderstorm on pretty much every afternoon that it rains. Is this the work of a temperature inversion? Dust in the atmosphere? Something else? 

I was wondering if anyone on the NY forum had noticed these phenomena. I've brought it to the attention of other folks with a mixed response, and I'd like to nail down the culprit. 

Drugs?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Maxwell03 said:

<_<

Forget about it...

could be some combo of higher humidity, particulate matter from brush fires, etc.

I hate light pollution with a passion, aside from the health issues associated with it (including higher rates of endocrine cancers), when I shoot astro, I use longer focal length lenses now.....astro in light pollution is junk between 24mm-80mm.  I start at 150mm.  That effectively eliminates light pollution for me, and I can capture down to Mag 13 in untracked stacked 50 frame composites....even with obnoxious streelights and parking lot lights all around me....I laugh at them because the higher focal length effectively eliminates them.

18 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Morning thoughts…

It will be mostly sunny and milder. High temperatures will reach the lower 50s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 51°

Newark: 54°

Philadelphia: 53°

The mild weather will continue through Friday. 

Don, the chances that this morning is the last below freezing low of the cold season?

The next 8 days are averaging   50degs.(43/57) or +4.5.

Month to date is   42.2[+1.2].        Should be     44.5[+2.1] by the 28th.

Reached 40 here yesterday(day){was 43 earlier at midnight}.

Today:    48-50, wind w., p. sunny, 38 tomorrow AM.

32*(46%RH) here at 7am.      33* at 8am.      35* at 10am.      37* at 11am.      39* at Noon.       40* at 12:30pm.      44* at 3pm.      47* at 5pm.      Reached 50* at 6:30pm.      45* at 9pm.       44* at 10am.

20 minutes ago, wilsonvoid1 said:

it according to the GFS 6Z get your shovels ready!

It seems that ever since the GFS went to the FV3 core, it periodically displays large spring snowfalls in the extended range. Its massive snowstorm for Boston a few days earlier than the one shown for the NYC area is also noted. Currently, the 6z run is on its own with its big snowfall solutions.

• Like 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 85 (1945)
NYC: 83 (1945)
LGA: 82 (1945)

Lows:

LGA: 19 (1949)
EWR: 15 (1949)
NYC: 11 (1885)

Historical:

1924 - A late winter storm in Oklahoma produced nearly a foot of snow at Oklahoma City and at Tulsa. (David Ludlum)

1948 - The city of Juneau received 31 inches of snow in 24 hours, a record for the Alaska capitol. (20th-21st) (David Ludlum)

1948: T An F3 tornado tracked through Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City, OK just before 10 pm destroying 54 aircraft, including 17 transport planes valued at $500,000 apiece. The total damage amounted to more than $10 million, a record for the state that stood until the massive tornado outbreak of 5/3/1999. Major Ernest W. Fawbush and Captain Robert C. Miller were ordered to see if operationally forecasting tornadoes were possible. The tornado prompted the first attempt at tornado forecasting. Forecasters at Tinker believed conditions were again favorable for tornadoes and issued the first recorded tornado forecast. Five days later, on 3/25 at 6 pm, a forecasted tornado occurred, crossing the prepared base, and the damage was minimized. The successful, albeit somewhat lucky forecast, paved the way for tornado forecasts to be issued by the U.S. Weather Bureau after a lengthy ban. 

1982: A winter storm dropped 10-20 inches of heavy wet snow across the northern two-thirds of South Dakota. Five persons were killed and eight others injured in indirect accidents. Downed power lines caused isolated power outages. A half dozen newborn calves died of exposure near Lemmon in Perkins County. Also, 5% of the pheasant population in Brown, Edmunds, and Faulk Counties were killed. The weight of the snow collapsed a canopy of a grocery store in McLaughlin, Corson County, tearing out part of the brick front and breaking windows in the store.

1984 - A severe three day winter storm came to an end over the Central Plains. The storm produced up to twenty inches of snow in Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas, and left a thick coat of ice from eastern Kansas across northwestern Missouri into Iowa. (Storm Data)

1987 - A storm produced blizzard conditions in Wyoming and eastern Nebraska, and severe thunderstorms in central Nebraska. Snowfall totals ranged up to 12 inches at Glenrock WY and Chadron NE. Thunderstorms in central Nebraska produced wind gusts to 69 mph at Valentine, and wind gusts to 76 mph at Bartley. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Squalls in the Great Lakes Region left up to eight inches of new snow on the ground in time for the official start of spring. Unseasonably warm weather prevailed in the western U.S. Seven cities reported new record high temperatures for the date, including Tucson AZ with a reading of 89 degrees. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Snow and high winds created blizzard conditions in western Kansas to usher in the official start of the spring season. Thunderstorms produced severe weather from east Texas to Alabama and northwest Florida, with nearly fifty reports of large hail and damaging winds during the afternoon and evening hours. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - The northeastern U.S. was in the midst of a snowstorm as spring officially began at 4 19 PM. Snowfall totals in the Green Mountains of Vermont ranged up to thirty inches, and up to 15 inches of snow was reported in the Catskills and Adirondacks of eastern New York State. Totals in eastern Pennsylvania ranged up to 12 inches at Armenia Mountain. The storm resulted in one death, and forty-nine injuries. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1998: A deadly tornado outbreak occurred over portions of the southeastern United States on this day. Particularly hard hit were rural areas outside of Gainesville, Georgia, where at least 12 people were killed during the early morning hours. The entire outbreak killed 14 people and produced 12 tornadoes across three states.  The town of Stoneville, North Carolina, hard hit by the storms.

2005 - An F1 tornado hits South San Francisco. Trees are uprooted. At least twenty homes and twenty businesses are damaged, including the city's new fire station.

2006 - Grand Island, NE, receives 17.8 inches of snow in 24 hours, breaking the old local record for the most snowfall in a day by 4.8 inches. 29.7 inches in 48 hours also breaks a record.

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Dropped to 21 in Sloatsburg, this is probably it until December

Last hard freeze until December for Sloatsburg? Yeah no. Sloatsburg may even see a few mid 20s next week and it will definitely experience a hard freeze in November. Average first freeze is late October.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 85 (1945)
NYC: 83 (1945)
LGA: 82 (1945)

Lows:

LGA: 19 (1949)
EWR: 15 (1949)
NYC: 11 (1885)

Historical:

1924 - A late winter storm in Oklahoma produced nearly a foot of snow at Oklahoma City and at Tulsa. (David Ludlum)

1948 - The city of Juneau received 31 inches of snow in 24 hours, a record for the Alaska capitol. (20th-21st) (David Ludlum)

1948: T An F3 tornado tracked through Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City, OK just before 10 pm destroying 54 aircraft, including 17 transport planes valued at $500,000 apiece. The total damage amounted to more than $10 million, a record for the state that stood until the massive tornado outbreak of 5/3/1999. Major Ernest W. Fawbush and Captain Robert C. Miller were ordered to see if operationally forecasting tornadoes were possible. The tornado prompted the first attempt at tornado forecasting. Forecasters at Tinker believed conditions were again favorable for tornadoes and issued the first recorded tornado forecast. Five days later, on 3/25 at 6 pm, a forecasted tornado occurred, crossing the prepared base, and the damage was minimized. The successful, albeit somewhat lucky forecast, paved the way for tornado forecasts to be issued by the U.S. Weather Bureau after a lengthy ban. 

1982: A winter storm dropped 10-20 inches of heavy wet snow across the northern two-thirds of South Dakota. Five persons were killed and eight others injured in indirect accidents. Downed power lines caused isolated power outages. A half dozen newborn calves died of exposure near Lemmon in Perkins County. Also, 5% of the pheasant population in Brown, Edmunds, and Faulk Counties were killed. The weight of the snow collapsed a canopy of a grocery store in McLaughlin, Corson County, tearing out part of the brick front and breaking windows in the store.

1984 - A severe three day winter storm came to an end over the Central Plains. The storm produced up to twenty inches of snow in Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas, and left a thick coat of ice from eastern Kansas across northwestern Missouri into Iowa. (Storm Data)

1987 - A storm produced blizzard conditions in Wyoming and eastern Nebraska, and severe thunderstorms in central Nebraska. Snowfall totals ranged up to 12 inches at Glenrock WY and Chadron NE. Thunderstorms in central Nebraska produced wind gusts to 69 mph at Valentine, and wind gusts to 76 mph at Bartley. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Squalls in the Great Lakes Region left up to eight inches of new snow on the ground in time for the official start of spring. Unseasonably warm weather prevailed in the western U.S. Seven cities reported new record high temperatures for the date, including Tucson AZ with a reading of 89 degrees. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Snow and high winds created blizzard conditions in western Kansas to usher in the official start of the spring season. Thunderstorms produced severe weather from east Texas to Alabama and northwest Florida, with nearly fifty reports of large hail and damaging winds during the afternoon and evening hours. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - The northeastern U.S. was in the midst of a snowstorm as spring officially began at 4 19 PM. Snowfall totals in the Green Mountains of Vermont ranged up to thirty inches, and up to 15 inches of snow was reported in the Catskills and Adirondacks of eastern New York State. Totals in eastern Pennsylvania ranged up to 12 inches at Armenia Mountain. The storm resulted in one death, and forty-nine injuries. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1998: A deadly tornado outbreak occurred over portions of the southeastern United States on this day. Particularly hard hit were rural areas outside of Gainesville, Georgia, where at least 12 people were killed during the early morning hours. The entire outbreak killed 14 people and produced 12 tornadoes across three states.  The town of Stoneville, North Carolina, hard hit by the storms.

2005 - An F1 tornado hits South San Francisco. Trees are uprooted. At least twenty homes and twenty businesses are damaged, including the city's new fire station.

2006 - Grand Island, NE, receives 17.8 inches of snow in 24 hours, breaking the old local record for the most snowfall in a day by 4.8 inches. 29.7 inches in 48 hours also breaks a record.

I take it this was an inland snowstorm, with snowfall as close as the Poconos? I don't remember any here around this time (we had 1-2 inches in the first week of April though, which was something, after it had been in the upper 80s in mid March lol)

• Rjay unpinned this topic