• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023

Rjay

Records: One year ago record warmth this time.

Highs:

EWR: 69 (2022)
LGA: 68 (2022)
NYC: 68 (2022)

Lows:

EWR:  12 (2015)
NYC: 6 (1872)
LGA: 14 (2007)

Historical:

1872 - A cold wave hit the East coast sending the mercury plunging to 8 degrees below zero at Boston. It was the most severe March cold wave in modern history. (David Ludlum)

1875: Heavy snow fell in much of Arkansas, with the highest amounts in the central and west. Twelve inches of snow fell at Little Rock, which remains the highest calendar day snowfall on record in the capital city. 30 inches fell near Mena. 

1900 - A chinook wind blowing down the slopes of the Rockies through Havre MT raised the temperature 31 degrees in just three minutes. (The Weather Channel)

1954 - Florida received its greatest modern-day snowfall of record, with 4.0 inches at the Milton Experimental Station. Pensacola FL equalled their 24-hour record with 2.1 inches of snow. (The Weather Channel)

1962: The strongest nor'easter of this century struck the Mid-Atlantic Region on March 5-9, 1962. It is known as the "Ash Wednesday Storm" and caused over $200 million (1962 dollars) in property damage and significant coastal erosion from North Carolina to Long Island, New York. It was estimated to have destroyed or significantly damaged 45,000 homes in New Jersey alone. The Red Cross recorded that the storm killed 40 people. It hit during "Spring Tide." When the sun and moon are in phase, they produce a higher-than-average astronomical tide. Water reached nine feet at Norfolk (flooding begins around five feet). Houses were toppled into the ocean, and boardwalks were broken and twisted. The islands of Chincoteague and Assateague, Maryland, were completely underwater. Ocean City, Maryland, sustained significant damage, mainly to the island's south end. Winds up to 70 mph built 40-foot waves at sea. Heavy snow fell in the Appalachian Mountains. Big Meadows, southeast of Luray, recorded Virginia's greatest 24-hour snowfall with 33 inches and the most significant single storm snowfall with 42 inches. (Luray, Virginia reported 33.5 inches on March 2-3, 1994, making this later snow their maximum 24-hour snowfall total.) Roads were blocked, and electrical service was out for several days. Washington and Baltimore fell into the mixed precipitation zone. The Ash Wednesday storm is noteworthy for producing devastating tidal flooding along the Atlantic Coast and record snows and the interior of Virginia. The extremely high tides and massive waves caused tremendous damage -worst than many hurricanes that have hit the region. Along the Atlantic Coast, tide ran for 2 to 6 ft above average with 20 to 40 ft waves crashing ashore. National Airport received only 4 inches of snow with a liquid equivalent of 1.33 inches. However, close-in suburbs, such as Silver Spring, Maryland, and Falls Church, Virginia, received 11 inches of snow. Outlying areas such as Rockville, Maryland, received 19 inches of snow, and Leesburg, Virginia, received 20 inches of snow. Other snow totals included 15 inches at Richmond; 23 inches at Culpeper; 26 inches at Charlottesville; 32 inches at Winchester; and 35 inches at Fort Royal, Virginia, and Big Meadows on the Skyline Drive top the list with 42 inches of snow. Click HERE for more information from the Washington Post. 

1987 - Twenty-eight cities in the north central U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Pickstown SD was the hot spot in the nation with a reading of 83 degrees. The high of 71 at Saint Cloud MN smashed their previous record by 21 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Wintry weather developed in the Rockies and the Plateau Region as arctic air swept in from the northwest. Blizzard conditions in southeast Idaho claimed the lives of two teenagers. Thunderstorms developed in Utah and Idaho. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - A winter storm in the south central U.S. left parts of Missouri and Arkansas buried under more than a foot of snow. Heavier snowfall totals in Missouri included 14 inches at Springfield and 16 inches at Lebanon. Totals in Benton County AR ranged up to 14 inches. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Colorado's strongest winter storm of the season moved northeastward across the state producing 50 inches of snow at Echo Lake, 46.5 inches on Buckhorn Mountain, and 46 inches near the top of Coal Canyon. Snow fell at the rate of several inches per hour during the height of the storm, while winds gusted above 50 mph. Several hundred rush hour commuters, including the state governor, were stranded in blizzard conditions along Highway 36 between Denver and Boulder. Drifts up to twelve feet high had to be cleared southeast of Boulder. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2010: At least seven funnel clouds were observed along the Orange County coast in southern California. Two were spotted near John Wayne Airport.

2014: The Great Lakes saw some of their worst ice covers in nearly four decades because of a frigid winter with months of below-freezing temperatures in large sections of the northern United States, the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration said. As of Mach 6, 2014, the federal agency said that 92.2 percent of the five lakes were under ice, breaking a record set in 1973 but still short of the 94.7 percent established in 1979. 

2017: Early data from the GOES-East satellite warned forecasters from the NWS office in Dodge City, Kansas, about a wildfire before any 911 calls were made. As a result, they were able to start planning evacuations sooner and saving lives. 

2017: A line of storms brought widespread wind damage and tornadoes to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and northern Missouri.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 69 (2022)
LGA: 68 (2022)
NYC: 68 (2022)

Lows:

EWR:  12 (2015)
NYC: 6 (1872)
LGA: 14 (2007)

Historical:

1872 - A cold wave hit the East coast sending the mercury plunging to 8 degrees below zero at Boston. It was the most severe March cold wave in modern history. (David Ludlum)

1875: Heavy snow fell in much of Arkansas, with the highest amounts in the central and west. Twelve inches of snow fell at Little Rock, which remains the highest calendar day snowfall on record in the capital city. 30 inches fell near Mena. 

1900 - A chinook wind blowing down the slopes of the Rockies through Havre MT raised the temperature 31 degrees in just three minutes. (The Weather Channel)

1954 - Florida received its greatest modern-day snowfall of record, with 4.0 inches at the Milton Experimental Station. Pensacola FL equalled their 24-hour record with 2.1 inches of snow. (The Weather Channel)

1962: The strongest nor'easter of this century struck the Mid-Atlantic Region on March 5-9, 1962. It is known as the "Ash Wednesday Storm" and caused over $200 million (1962 dollars) in property damage and significant coastal erosion from North Carolina to Long Island, New York. It was estimated to have destroyed or significantly damaged 45,000 homes in New Jersey alone. The Red Cross recorded that the storm killed 40 people. It hit during "Spring Tide." When the sun and moon are in phase, they produce a higher-than-average astronomical tide. Water reached nine feet at Norfolk (flooding begins around five feet). Houses were toppled into the ocean, and boardwalks were broken and twisted. The islands of Chincoteague and Assateague, Maryland, were completely underwater. Ocean City, Maryland, sustained significant damage, mainly to the island's south end. Winds up to 70 mph built 40-foot waves at sea. Heavy snow fell in the Appalachian Mountains. Big Meadows, southeast of Luray, recorded Virginia's greatest 24-hour snowfall with 33 inches and the most significant single storm snowfall with 42 inches. (Luray, Virginia reported 33.5 inches on March 2-3, 1994, making this later snow their maximum 24-hour snowfall total.) Roads were blocked, and electrical service was out for several days. Washington and Baltimore fell into the mixed precipitation zone. The Ash Wednesday storm is noteworthy for producing devastating tidal flooding along the Atlantic Coast and record snows and the interior of Virginia. The extremely high tides and massive waves caused tremendous damage -worst than many hurricanes that have hit the region. Along the Atlantic Coast, tide ran for 2 to 6 ft above average with 20 to 40 ft waves crashing ashore. National Airport received only 4 inches of snow with a liquid equivalent of 1.33 inches. However, close-in suburbs, such as Silver Spring, Maryland, and Falls Church, Virginia, received 11 inches of snow. Outlying areas such as Rockville, Maryland, received 19 inches of snow, and Leesburg, Virginia, received 20 inches of snow. Other snow totals included 15 inches at Richmond; 23 inches at Culpeper; 26 inches at Charlottesville; 32 inches at Winchester; and 35 inches at Fort Royal, Virginia, and Big Meadows on the Skyline Drive top the list with 42 inches of snow. Click HERE for more information from the Washington Post. 

1987 - Twenty-eight cities in the north central U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Pickstown SD was the hot spot in the nation with a reading of 83 degrees. The high of 71 at Saint Cloud MN smashed their previous record by 21 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Wintry weather developed in the Rockies and the Plateau Region as arctic air swept in from the northwest. Blizzard conditions in southeast Idaho claimed the lives of two teenagers. Thunderstorms developed in Utah and Idaho. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - A winter storm in the south central U.S. left parts of Missouri and Arkansas buried under more than a foot of snow. Heavier snowfall totals in Missouri included 14 inches at Springfield and 16 inches at Lebanon. Totals in Benton County AR ranged up to 14 inches. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Colorado's strongest winter storm of the season moved northeastward across the state producing 50 inches of snow at Echo Lake, 46.5 inches on Buckhorn Mountain, and 46 inches near the top of Coal Canyon. Snow fell at the rate of several inches per hour during the height of the storm, while winds gusted above 50 mph. Several hundred rush hour commuters, including the state governor, were stranded in blizzard conditions along Highway 36 between Denver and Boulder. Drifts up to twelve feet high had to be cleared southeast of Boulder. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2010: At least seven funnel clouds were observed along the Orange County coast in southern California. Two were spotted near John Wayne Airport.

2014: The Great Lakes saw some of their worst ice covers in nearly four decades because of a frigid winter with months of below-freezing temperatures in large sections of the northern United States, the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration said. As of Mach 6, 2014, the federal agency said that 92.2 percent of the five lakes were under ice, breaking a record set in 1973 but still short of the 94.7 percent established in 1979. 

2017: Early data from the GOES-East satellite warned forecasters from the NWS office in Dodge City, Kansas, about a wildfire before any 911 calls were made. As a result, they were able to start planning evacuations sooner and saving lives. 

2017: A line of storms brought widespread wind damage and tornadoes to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and northern Missouri.

Did New York City go below zero in March 1872 too?

Also was the March 1962 noreaster more damaging than the December 1992 noreaster?  I thought the former was bigger south of us, while December 1992 is the noreaster of record for our area and set the new surge record.

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

One storm wonders though usually do their thing in January and February.

I think March 1992 is probably the best we can hope for, that was one time in relative recent history when a really bad winter was somewhat saved in March.

Have you looked up those two March storms in your area-- how did you guys do there?

The time period is similar too, the 19th and 22nd.

7 and 3.5 inches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Also was the March 1962 noreaster more damaging than the December 1992 noreaster?  I thought the former was bigger south of us, while December 1992 is the noreaster of record for our area and set the new surge record.

The lowest in NYC was 3 on the (5th) in 1872.  Was much colder into New England then.  1992 was just as if not worse for parts of the area in NJ/ NYC / Long Island.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's going to be a close call for the City. I think the high-resolution models will tell the story, especially the 18z and 0z runs. My initial thoughts are that that accumulating snow would grave the City. Measurable amounts in Central Park will be a close call, as it is plausible that JFK, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island see some accumulations while the Park falls just short.

Don can you list the accumulations for Central Park and JFK during those two March 1992 events?  I believe Central Park was 6.2 and 3.4 in the two events while JFK was around 3 inches for the first one and 3.5 for the second one-- the first one was mixed precip here and alternated between snow and rain and the second one, while colder, lost snow to cold dry air and the storm ended early-- we were supposed to get 5-8.

22 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's going to be a close call for the City. I think the high-resolution models will tell the story, especially the 18z and 0z runs. My initial thoughts are that that accumulating snow would grave the City. Measurable amounts in Central Park will be a close call, as it is plausible that JFK, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island see some accumulations while the Park falls just short.

Is this going to end before morning, Don?

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Is this going to end before morning, Don?

Yes. It should be over before sunrise.

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don can you list the accumulations for Central Park and JFK during those two March 1992 events?  I believe Central Park was 6.2 and 3.4 in the two events while JFK was around 3 inches for the first one and 3.5 for the second one-- the first one was mixed precip here and alternated between snow and rain and the second one, while colder, lost snow to cold dry air and the storm ended early-- we were supposed to get 5-8.

JFK:

3/18-19: 3.2”; 3/22: 3.7”

LGA:

3/18-19: 6.6”; 3/22: 3.6”

NYC:

3/18-19: 6.2”; 3/22: 3.2”

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember some people in my family telling me that the Jersey shore got hit pretty bad by the March '62 storm.  A ton of flooding and beach erosion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I just mean in general when dealing with a bad winter.  In a good winter borderline patterns work out better than they do in a bad winter.

When the whole winter keeps screaming “I WON’T! I WON’T! I WON’T!”, Don’t believe “I MIGHT”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not really one for emotionally reasoned aphorisms, what’s possible depends on the meteorology and that changes with the patterns. Not every March is the same, not every pattern is the same, not every storm is the same.

What I’m not suggesting is to over-invest in any one event, but rather try not to close mindedly assume outcomes are ironclad which I’ve seen a lot of this winter across all eastern forums. Dud winters happen, and this is certainly a dud winter. But that doesn’t invalidate the potential for something positive to happen the next two weeks if the meteorology supports it.

Just how I view things.   

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yes. It should be over before sunrise.

JFK:

3/18-19: 3.2”; 3/22: 3.7”

LGA:

3/18-19: 6.6”; 3/22: 3.6”

NYC:

3/18-19: 6.2”; 3/22: 3.2”

Exactly as I remember them-- the first event favored areas away from the south shore and the second event, which was supposed to be better, ended up being a disappointment because a lot of it was eaten up by virga and ended early.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

No. NYC has never gone below zero in March since regular recordkeeping began in 1869. The March record of 3° was set on March 5, 1872.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. NYC has never gone below zero in March since regular recordkeeping began in 1869. The March record of 3° was set on March 5, 1872.

Getting to single digits is historic for March and that almost happened in 2015 and I believe the last time it happened was 1996?  Whar an amazing long lived winter that was.

I think it also almost happened in 2003, another very long lived winter.

20 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I’m not really one for emotionally reasoned aphorisms, what’s possible depends on the meteorology and that changes with the patterns. Not every March is the same, not every pattern is the same, not every storm is the same.

What I’m not suggesting is to over-invest in any one event, but rather try not to close mindedly assume outcomes are ironclad which I’ve seen a lot of this winter across all eastern forums. Dud winters happen, and this is certainly a dud winter. But that doesn’t invalidate the potential for something positive to happen the next two weeks if the meteorology supports it.

Just how I view things.   

I totally agree.

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Exactly as I remember them-- the first event favored areas away from the south shore and the second event, which was supposed to be better, ended up being a disappointment because a lot of it was eaten up by virga and ended early.

Had just gotten married....went out with my wife and her girlfriends because they were from Colombia and really hadn't seen any snow ( my wife came here in 1990, and its true, she hadn't seen any real snow in that time; she wondered what all the fuss over winter was about ) and some kids she was babysitting. It had turned to rain but this was perfect for snowball fights and building a snowman ( ok, snow person ). Fast forward, those kids are married with kids of their own, her friend moved to Brazil, and our two kids are grown and finishing college and grad school.....so I'd say this was a really long time ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Getting to single digits is historic for March and that almost happened in 2015 and I believe the last time it happened was 1996?  Whar an amazing long lived winter that was.

I think it also almost happened in 2003, another very long lived winter.

The last time it occurred at Central Park was way back in 1967.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

So it's been a long time then....the last time I asked someone said 1996 lol.

In 2015 we came close though, it was in the single digits on the last day of February wasn't it, Don?

1996 came close with 10 degree readings at NYC/EWR

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic