Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023

Rjay

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Bruh, I know you lack it in your life but let us have some fun. Have some humility. 

It's funny though, he's been winning all winter and on the way to a historically bad winter.  This would be like running for the game winning touchdown in the superbowl and fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line with no defender within 20 yards lol.

Of course this could still miss us, but the above visual is funny to think about.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It's funny though, he's been winning all winter and on the way to a historically bad winter.  This would be like running for the game winning touchdown in the superbowl and fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line with no defender within 20 yards lol.

Of course this could still miss us, but the above visual is funny to think about.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a2fe919a-3cd7-467e-9cac-076790d5215a

• Haha 1

Morning thoughts…

Clouds will increase during the day. A soaking rain will arrive late in the day or at night and continue into tomorrow. A general 0.50”-1.50” of rain is likely. High temperatures will reach the lower and middle 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 44°

Newark: 47°

Philadelphia: 49°

It will turn milder on Sunday. 

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 45.8°; 15-Year: 46.5°

Newark: 30-Year: 47.1°; 15-Year: 47.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 48.7°; 15-Year: 48.9°

• Like 3

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 66 (1991)
NYC: 65 (1991)
LGA: 65 (1967(

Lows:

EWR: 9 (1950)
NYC: 11 (2003)
LGA: 10 (1950)

Historical:

1896: The temperature in downtown San Francisco, California, fell to 33 degrees, which was the lowest ever for the city in March. 

1966 - A tornado hit Jackson, MS, killing 54 persons. (David Ludlum)

1980 - A coastal storm produced 25 inches of snow at Elizabeth City, NC, and 30 inches at Cape Hatteras NC. At Miami FL the mercury dipped to 32 degrees. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1983 - The last of a series of storms to strike the California coast finally came to an end. Waves fifteen to twenty feet high pounded the coast for two days, and in a four day period up to 18 inches of rain drenched the Los Angeles and Santa Barbara area. On the morning of the first, thunderstorms spawned two tornadoes which moved through the Los Angeles area. (Storm Data)

1987 - A storm brought heavy rain and gale force winds to Washington and Oregon. Quillayute WA received 2.67 inches of rain in 24 hours, and winds gusted to 60 mph at Astoria OR. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A small but intense low pressure system roared across west central Mississippi at 90 mph early in the morning. A tornado in southern Mississippi picked up an automobile, carried it 150 feet, and tossed it through the brick wall of an unoccupied retirement home. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Wintry weather prevailed from the southern Rockies to the Upper Great Lakes. Neguanee MI received 19 inches of snow, and up to 24 inches of snow blanketed Colorado. Blizzard conditions were reported in Minnesota. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - An upper level weather disturbance produced snow in the Colorado Rockies, with eight inches reported at Winter Park, and a storm moving off the Pacific Ocean began to spread rain and snow across the western U.S. March continued to start off like a lamb elsewhere around the country. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2003 - It was a day of temperature extremes. Miami reached a high temperature of 90 degrees, the earliest observed 90 degree temperature since March 5, 1964. Meanwhile Marquette, MI, dropped to 30 degrees below zero, the lowest temperature ever recorded in the city in March.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but we missed 12”+ in 3/2018 three times by tiny margins. 3/20/18 it was a few miles NE of us. The 3/13 storm would’ve been if it tracked 75 miles further west and 3/7 had the CCB blossomed 50 miles further east. 

But March didn’t save that winter because we had a good early winter. 

March 2018 was the biggest tease of my lifetime. As you said, in the immediate metro we barely missed the historic snow in every direction. It was still a good month by March standards but it was really just one big giant tease. 

With that said, I'd take March 2018 in a heartbeat right now.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Very possible outcome unfortunately. We did not see a lot of these this century, however were much more numerous in the 80s.

I do think it's less likely than normal but if we get a big phased storm then it's on the table. 

This plot gives me some hope though. I haven't seen an MJO 8 this amped in a long time. 632850202_ECMF(1).png.d1b45022112ea83e2d0775818ad7e727.png

• Like 3

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I do think it's less likely than normal but if we get a big phased storm then it's on the table. 

This plot gives me some hope though. I haven't seen an MJO 8 this amped in a long time. 632850202_ECMF(1).png.d1b45022112ea83e2d0775818ad7e727.png

Yeah don't get me wrong, we have a major signal for a KU event here. Hopefully it's the EURO doing it's over amped, keeping energy SW bias.

Remember, Forky only comes out when a legit threat is on the table. Until he appears keep expectations in check.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Portland, Ore., received nearly a foot of snow in a single day in what proved to be its second-snowiest day in history. Mountainous areas of California experienced nearly unprecedented snowfall accumulations — more than 40 feet since the start of the season. At the airport in Flagstaff, Ariz., 11.6 feet have fallen this season, second only to the winter of 1948-49. Even Phoenix suburbs woke up on Thursday to a dusting of snow that covered cactuses and lush golf courses."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We want this to stay in phase 8 as long as possible. Phase 1 is warm in March.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

March 2018 was the biggest tease of my lifetime. As you said, in the immediate metro we barely missed the historic snow in every direction. It was still a good month by March standards but it was really just one big giant tease. 

With that said, I'd take March 2018 in a heartbeat right now.

May I introduce you to March 2001 lol

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

"Portland, Ore., received nearly a foot of snow in a single day in what proved to be its second-snowiest day in history. Mountainous areas of California experienced nearly unprecedented snowfall accumulations — more than 40 feet since the start of the season. At the airport in Flagstaff, Ariz., 11.6 feet have fallen this season, second only to the winter of 1948-49. Even Phoenix suburbs woke up on Thursday to a dusting of snow that covered cactuses and lush golf courses."

Wait is this past history or did this just happen?

• Rjay unpinned this topic