March 2023

Rjay

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

3/4 storm 

Like: 12z cmc 

don’t like: gfs trending even more NW

Good to see the CMC.

That being said CMC did move north. 

We need to stop the models suite from moving north every series.

Still a lot of time.

I still contend we have the most potential starting March 10.

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah definitely.

The good news is this time it has not been delayed to date. GEFS was always a couple days later than the EPS. Likely resulting from the difference in timing of the MJO.

I am 90% certain of a favorable window at this time. My question is the duration. 7 days. 10. Up in the air.

Of course a favorable window does not guarantee that success olis realized.

I mean it could be delayed to March 15 and we'd still be okay

33 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

@bluewave as he always posts and is correct you want this south of us outside 72 hours 

That wasn't the case for the storm tomorrow but I know thats a rare oddity. I agree my gut feeling is this is going to end up too far north for us but hope I'm wrong.  

It's not even so much that the Ukie/GFS are north that worries me because those models are whacky but the fact the Euro and CMC are bumping north every run. 

39 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

KU setup imo.. it could change.

gfs_namer_234_500_vort_ht.gif

Biggest threat to change is that Aleutian island high needs to break in pattern.. we have rain going up into the Davis Straight and Alaska.. sometimes that high latitude stuff trends back to -PNA.

Courtesy of Chuck.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

That wasn't the case for the storm tomorrow but I know thats a rare oddity. I agree my gut feeling is this is going to end up too far north for us but hope I'm wrong.  

It's not even so much that the Ukie/GFS are north that worries me because those models are whacky but the fact the Euro and CMC are bumping north every run. 

Tomorrow is a Miller B. So the CAD came in a little stronger than some of the older runs. There was not much room for it to come north. But the late week storm is more of a Miller A. You want that to be suppressed at this range otherwise it could ride too far north.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Tomorrow is a Miller B. So the CAD came in a little stronger than some of the older runs. There was not much room for it to come north. But the late week storm is more of a Miller A. You want that to be suppressed at this range otherwise it could ride too far north.

Why is the GFS the only one with the storm too far north for us?

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Its a combo of confluence but also the CMC has a much more potent S/W over the Pac NW which might be not allowing the system to amplify as much over the Plains.  the GFS is way weaker with that system over the NW

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its a combo of confluence but also the CMC has a much more potent S/W over the Pac NW which might be not allowing the system to amplify as much over the Plains.  the GFS is way weaker with that system over the NW

Is this a case where we need to wait for tomorrow's storm to get out of the way first and get better sampling from that region?

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Is this a case where we need to wait for tomorrow's storm to get out of the way first and get better sampling from that region?

The system from 90-108 is likely going to impact things too...that is likely to be more an issue than many think...we've had issues this winter before where a proceeding system has impacted the ensuing one

• Like 2

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

The system from 90-108 is likely going to impact things too...that is likely to be more an issue than many think...we've had issues this winter before where a proceeding system has impacted the ensuing one

Yes, would that be bad spacing?

Maybe that system from 90-108 will cause the following one to be more suppressed in its wake?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I probably spoke too soon.;) This is looking more like a wrapped up Miller A. So notice the stronger -PNA and SE Ridge on todays run. So nothing to stop later runs from coming even further north with such an amped up system. The -NAO block over Eastern Canada is even weaker.

New run

2FB8E32D-1107-411E-A96F-2CF3E465F85F.gif.60a00473aa474204b20b9adb512a11a9.gif

Old run

7E401B61-7BE0-4940-9430-9195ADC80003.gif.0223f03e10d53ee7a2af4395dbd12b81.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I probably spoke too soon.;) This is looking more like a wrapped up Miller A. So notice the stronger -PNA and SE Ridge on todays run. So nothing to stop later runs from coming even further north with such an amped up system. The -NAO block over Eastern Canada is even weaker.

New run

Old run

Yup. Gfs leading the way 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

New run

Old run

Models usually have a hard time with blocking

Finally a week of tracking 2 storms. Been a while.

• BxEngine pinned this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic