• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Mid-Long Range Discussion thread

Holston_River_Rambler

Jan/Feb were base warm patterns with cold fronts which rolled through - notably the ice storm.   Current pattern appears to be base cold w/ warm-ups in between.  Just looking at LR modeling....looks like wave after wave of cold.  If we get lucky, the MJO will rotate into warm phases by April(before coming around again into cold phases) and give us a respite.  Have I said how much I really don't like cold during April?  I have my limits as to when I like it freezing cold...April is pushing those limits. 

• Like 6

Yeah, I can’t decide if we want it flat or not. The GFS at 0z was a strong coastal.  6z was flat.  The trend overnight has been generally weaker with the exception of the 0z GFS run.  We have seen those storms do exactly that at this range...and a three run trends takes it to St Louis regardless of blocking.  Looks to me like a hp is suppressing the track.  We do prob want to see it bounce back by tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

Fountain beat me to it. Not too upset to see the system vanish days 5-6. Note that WPC still has QPF those days.

I'd be happy to see the system show up again, without a mega-cut knuckle ball. Carvers STL captures that idea, lol!

Never take anything off the table in the Southeast. 

12Z Euro update. Nah, I'll tell you what's gonna happen. Spoiled NC whiners will get one on the coast. Is that even worse than the STL cut?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Fountain beat me to it. Not too upset to see the system vanish days 5-6. Note that WPC still has QPF those days.

I'd be happy to see the system show up again, without a mega-cut knuckle ball. Carvers STL captures that idea, lol!

12Z Euro update. Nah, I'll tell you what's gonna happen. Spoiled NC whiners will get one on the coast. Is that even worse than the STL cut?

guarantee one or the other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Honestly I don't think many anyone East of I-85 have much hope. Even the runs that favor them it's all a cold rain. 

Your'e going to want to have atleast a bit of elevation for this one. 

I'm indifferent abt it. It's one of the best looks of the winter for snow for the SE. But it's March and not early March. Temps will be a problem if we even get the precip.  

This setup in January would be mouthwatering. 

BE62298C-8255-4B19-815F-537A3EA65261.thumb.png.49130f0cbec7693f23a275251e769a19.png

• Like 5

So far, the last 5 days have yielded -7.34F BN at TRI.  The past two days have been roughly -13F BN.  We had one day where we didn't make it out of the 30s for max temps.  Lowest temp during this time frame was 20F.  A trace of snow has been recorded at the airport.  I had a trace of frozen precip at my place during two of those days.  Modeling has been exceptional with this time frame.  The mountains above 5,000' are snow capped in NE TN.  The freeze from the past two nights has damaged blooming plants for sure.  Lots of brown buds on pear and peach trees unfortunately.  

As for the LR forecast, more cold through the 25th.  Then, I think we see some moderation towards the very end of this month and early April.  After that, the MJO is showing signs of looping back into colder phases after its tour through the colder phases ends(skipping warmer phases).  The warm-up later this month should correspond to the loop into the COD and maybe some brief time in 7 before potentially looping back into 8.    El Nino springs are a bear.   I wouldn't be surprised for the mountains to get more snow and for the NE areas of the forum to see more snow showers at some point.

As for next weeks system, just isn't organized on modeling and that has been a clear trend.  Let's see if modeling gets it back today or overnight.  The GFS was a bit more organized(but slightly off the coast ) at 6z...but it might be over-amped.  Otherwise, probably time to bid farewell to that long shot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Seasonal snowfall to date. 

rI11Npe.png

Check out that Eastman bubble around Kingsport. 

A zoomed out view:

Lpvhpcj.png

Ha! Ha!  The center of that bubble is over my house!  I had a couple of inches of snow this winter.   I won’t miss the pattern of the last three winters - especially the Jan and Feb part!

• Like 4

On 3/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, Carvers Gap said:

Ha! Ha!  The center of that bubble is over my house!  I had a couple of inches of snow this winter.   I won’t miss the pattern of the last three winters - especially the Jan and Feb part!

Suddenly, my decision to snowchase to Carbondale in January is further validated, lol. Glad I made that call. 

• Like 3

What an annoying cold weekend!  Soccer tomorrow will not be fun.  Hopefully the WC is less than today.  Winter is just rubbing salt into our winter wounds at this point.  A couple more days then 60s-70s arrive.  Winter can leave & hopefully the door hits it on the way out. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 7:17 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

rI11Npe.png

A zoomed out view:

Lpvhpcj.png

Whew, what a lame winter. Even the mountains didn't get too much this year comparatively.  Southeast and Mid Atlantic pretty much shut out.  You can really see the Nina footprint with how the axis of snow is west based. 

On the flip side, at least we see snow every year, so that's something. I measured two inches, which was all from that clipper, surprisingly. Anyway, bring on the warmth and see y'all next season! 

• Like 6

Clinch Mountain, just south of Gate City, still has snow on the south facing slopes.  Crazy.  It is not warm today.  That is for sure.  The Euro Weeklies show a nice warm-up followed by more cold...then a back-and-forth pattern of ridge/trough ensues.  I don't think we have seen the last of winter cold...but we are close to shutting the door on it.  If you like warm springs, the MJO has not been our friend.  

• Like 4

Meanwhile, guidance has been getting colder for tonight, such that MRX is now forecasting near record or even record lows in places! Hopefully this is the last really cold night for this winter. Looks like some places north of I-40 will drop into the teens tonight.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

Well with winter behind us here is my summary.  4 events behind normal. 11" behind average of the last 4 winters. (2019-2023 average) 

6012CDFC-6223-44E0-8AF5-ADE15AB75329.thumb.jpeg.06939c8b4af62bde6af5267641c5e851.jpeg

Horrible winter,our only snow came when we had the record breaking cold in late Dec,that was only a dusting

• Sad 1

Truly amazing it’s this cold in March.  This is cold that should have been in January. Soccer tomorrow is going to be cold. Have the My Buddy heater ready to go with blankets.  Just hope the wind tomorrow is not like today.  Sun does help so clouds please stay away tomorrow.  Mowed yard today in cold.  Then actually mulched the trees.  Gotta go slow with this long Covid.  Wife helps with yard.  Checked azaleas. They look to be ok with no damage yet. The Jap. maple what leaves had come out are toast. Tulips are good so far with no damage.  Blooms still closed.  Dogwood same no damage I can tell. Buds are still closed & look ok. Now tonight near 20 could do much damage.  Hoping not. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had to double check the thermometer this morning when I went out to run.  It looked warm from inside the house.  It was not, however, warm outside. I was about to freeze.  I had no idea it was that cold.  Wind chills at TRI are 19.  Crossville and Wise have wind chills in the single digits.  It is snowing in the mountains.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I had to double check the thermometer this morning when I went out to run.  It looked warm from inside the house.  It was not, however, warm outside. I was about to freeze.  I had no idea it was that cold.  Wind chills at TRI are 19.  Crossville and Wise have wind chills in the single digits.  It is snowing in the mountains.  

Yes very cold on this side of the mountains with lows in the teens and the single digits... 

24 minutes ago, Matthew70 said:

Flurries & soccer sounds about right for spring in TN.  Wonder how many layers I can wear today. Lol.  Well tulips are complete loss after last night.  Azaleas I’m afraid to look.  Tonight will be worse.  Ugly spring incoming. 

Same thing in Sumner county north of Nashville 

• Like 4

The map surprisingly is fairly on point for me.
I measured 4 inches and pocket change for the season barring an end season dark horse, currently flurrying with a dusting fwiw I suppose. Could've been worse.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:17 AM, Holston_River_Rambler said:

rI11Npe.png

A zoomed out view:

Lpvhpcj.png

• Like 4

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic