• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023 Mid-Long Range Discussion thread

Holston_River_Rambler

Wind chills tomorrow aren't supposed to get above 32F in Kingsport according to the hourly point and click.  Some locations will not get out of the actual 30s in NE TN and SW VA.  Winch chills tonight are supposed to be in the upper teens and mid teens for tomorrow night.  Those LR models are showing some skill w/ this cold.  Current WC at TRI is 38F.

• Like 2

Kingsport for the next couple of days.  22 for tomorrow night is going to be a problem for plants which have bloomed.  Again, this has been accurately portrayed for several weeks by modeling.  The only can-kick was from the 10th-11th to the 13th-14th for the cold shot.  There will be some warm-ups, followed by more cold for the next 2-3 weeks.  NWS hourly forecast chart.

Screen_Shot_2023-03-13_at_12.24.31_PM.pn

• Like 3

ECMWF can't decide whether to bury that thing or bring it up with no cold air supply. Maybe the 12Z will offer some clarity. GFS/Canadian sure like it!

Southeast ski areas would like it. I'm surprised to see Sugar is still making snow. Usually they punt by March 10, but perhaps they hope to benefit from the extended forecast. I did not check other areas, but Sugar generally takes care of their snow best late-season.

• Like 3

Tomorrow here in the  midstate will be much better. Near 50.  8-10 degrees higher than today with less wind.  These cold temps are like rubbing salt in an open wound at this point after the winter we have had. If climatology is right each cold snap should be less harsh here on out.  Maybe these cold spells mean we skip the locusts, dogwood & etc winters. Winter can take a long vacation at this point. March madness is here & my team is at the top.  Which usually is a curse. March is my least favorite month except March Madness makes it less disliked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew70 said:

Tomorrow here in the  midstate will be much better. Near 50.  8-10 degrees higher than today with less wind.  These cold temps are like rubbing salt in an open wound at this point after the winter we have had. If climatology is right each cold snap should be less harsh here on out.  Maybe these cold spells mean we skip the locusts, dogwood & etc winters. Winter can take a long vacation at this point. March madness is here & my team is at the top.  Which usually is a curse. March is my least favorite month except March Madness makes it less disliked. 

Unfortunately, considering the redbuds are blooming and that is traditionally the first of these “spring winters”, I don’t think we’re going to avoid it. This is going to be about as cold of a “redbud winter” though as I’ve ever seen. Also, I saw a dogwood today that the buds were swelling on and slightly opened. If we’d stayed warm just a little longer, the dogwoods would be blooming and we would have had both “winters” at the same time. I don’t think this freeze will hurt the dogwoods in this stage, but if it gets down into the low 20’s tomorrow night, it will fry the redbuds, pear trees, cherries, and any other blooming trees, as well as any leaves that have put out on them. Daffodils will be fine, as they can take snow and a lot more cold. I’ve seen them take low teens and not even phase them. Right now I had to cover up my blueberry bushes this evening and will again tomorrow night. I’m thinking I’m going to have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks with them, unfortunately it looks like I’ll be covering and uncovering them quite a bit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jed33 said:

Unfortunately, considering the redbuds are blooming and that is traditionally the first of these “spring winters”, I don’t think we’re going to avoid it. This is going to be about as cold of a “redbud winter” though as I’ve ever seen. Also, I saw a dogwood today that the buds were swelling on and slightly opened. If we’d stayed warm just a little longer, the dogwoods would be blooming and we would have had both “winters” at the same time. I don’t think this freeze will hurt the dogwoods in this stage, but if it gets down into the low 20’s tomorrow night, it will fry the redbuds, pear trees, cherries, and any other blooming trees, as well as any leaves that have put out on them. Daffodils will be fine, as they can take snow and a lot more cold. I’ve seen them take low teens and not even phase them. Right now I had to cover up my blueberry bushes this evening and will again tomorrow night. I’m thinking I’m going to have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks with them, unfortunately it looks like I’ll be covering and uncovering them quite a bit!

Yes unfortunately looks like planting season will be delayed this spring.  Which is no surprise with these last few springs around here.  My redbuds have been blooming well over a week now.  The tulip trees also.  They were almost done anyway.  Yep my Jap maple new leaves will be toast.  Landscaping already looked rough from the Dec. cold spell. Heck why not finish it all off lol.  Ugly spring incoming. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic