Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I really miss those 1870s Marches I experienced as a kid. It's a bummer we don't get those anymore.

Well if anyone actually looked New England temps have gone up about 1 degree on average while snow depth days and snow days have increased by 10 to 15%. Still winter

I'm only moderately impressed by that snow, only because it beats out the local climate signal by so far... But, that's at 7,000+ feet.

right?  I mean that's impressive but isn't that what happens in the clouds - particularly, a cold trough.  It seems like we do this every year as our snow seasons finish off screwing us ... we go out and act all staggered by mountain snow somewhere.  I dunno...

Something similar to this happened 5 or 6 years ago, when there was a pretty potent wet season then, with slides and valley flooding...even quite a bit of res restoration levels.  I mean... I was reading a paper about the expectation that all this isn't really going to help the drought there.  The problem is that the terrain west of the Divide over western N/A, is too proficient in channeling melt and fall water before it can get into the sub strata where they need it.

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm only moderately impressed by that snow, only because it beats out the local climate signal by so far... But, that's at 7,000+ feet.

right?  I mean that's impressive but isn't that what happens in the clouds - particularly, a cold trough.  It seems like we do this every year as our snow seasons finish off screwing us ... we go out and act all staggered by mountain snow somewhere.  I dunno...

Something similar to this happened 5 or 6 years ago, when there was a pretty potent wet season then, with slides and valley flooding...even quite a bit of res restoration levels.  I mean... I was reading a paper about the expectation that all this isn't really going to help the drought there.  The problem is that the terrain west of the Divide over western N/A, is too proficient in channeling melt and fall water before it can get into the sub strata where they need it.

Actually the deepest snow pack overall in California history  but carry on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually the deepest snow pack overall in California history  but carry on.

Yeah you can’t look at any of the stuff out west and think it just happens every year.  So. many. places. have broken snowfall records, SWE records, depth, etc.  Period of records may only be like 50 years at many ski areas but it’s far more impressive than that post alluded.

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah you can’t look at any of the stuff out west and think it just happens every year.  So. many. places. have broken snowfall records, SWE records, depth, etc.  Period of records may only be like 50 years at many ski areas but it’s far more impressive than that post alluded.

Only the most impressive in recorded history there ...800” inches ho hum

Skied yesterday at Jay and didn't think it was that bad a day - there was still powder and loose snow in the woods or anything that hadn't been fried on Monday. Skied today at Bolton - will echo the "what a day" sentiment. Waiting to see what today brings and the weather tomorrow - concerned about wind holds mostly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Really surprised there haven't been more roof failures as well. I imagine most houses have leaks from ice jams. When snow removal is a full time job. I read those piles are 25 ft tall.

In that part of the country hundreds of inches per year are expected.  Roofs don’t fail often.

3 hours ago, radarman said:

Some variation but largely reservoirs are in good shape.  

1080751013_Screenshot_20230329_191115_SamsungNotes_crop_46.thumb.jpg.17866e0e96674750ce6637a9d370b518.jpg

Also, just anecdotally I took this flying into Sacramento a week and a half ago.  Moist.  

20230320_115538_resize_86.jpg.64019ba269918c1d7eb604ee35479f99.jpg

Lol…what is funny and ironic is that it wasn’t long ago that the mantra was they’d never recover…it was gonna become a dust bowl/drought region.  Funny how it all seems to balance out after all…

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Lol…what is funny and ironic is that it wasn’t long ago that the mantra was they’d never recover…it was gonna become a dust bowl/drought region.  Funny how it all seems to balance out after all…

Unclear if the extreme reversals are the norm or something other than the norm but at least it's balance to an extent. 

This happened in North Texas as well... long term drought almost totally reversed in spring of 2015.  Reservoirs went from way down to filled up.  And by and large the drought has not returned there in any serious fashion thereafter.  Hopefully the same can be said about Cali in the years to come, though we wouldn't mind them sharing the wealth sometimes.

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

"Balance" as in lurching from one extreme to another.