Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Is the spring barrier still a thing? Lots of April Niño guesses. Watched many an April Nino prediction go down in flames.

@GaWxin El Nino thread notes a recent (2017) April El Niño forecast that did not verify.  I don't think the state of ENSO mid to long range forecasts has improved that much in six years.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Crystal is looking vulnerable now. Probably go out in a week or so

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is a minute from our place. Hopefully soon since I want to take the boat out before my first tournament, need to test a few upgrades.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

IIRC correctly, the 2015-2016 EL Nino...weren't initial projects for a weak EL Nino or am I remembering incorrectly? 

You are remembering incorrectly...that looked like a strong Nino pretty quickly once we got past the spring barrier.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

@GaWxin El Nino thread notes a recent (2017) April El Niño forecast that did not verify.  I don't think the state of ENSO mid to long range forecasts has improved that much in six years.

I feel there's a good chance for El Nino later this year. However, based mainly on the models I felt the same way throughout the spring of 2017 for later that year (as did the CPC, JB and many others). It took me til July to give up on an oncoming El Nino that year. It turned out there was La Niña that fall/winter! So, I know never to bet anything close to the ranch on the upcoming fall/winter ENSO state this early due to unpredictability. I may bet on it, but not too heavily.

Here is the AmericanWx 2017 ENSO thread, which illustrates well the epic failure of the spring 2017 model forecasts that suggested a very good chance for El Niño by summer:

From that thread, this post from 9/13/2017 summed it up very well:

"How can it be that we went from a good chance at an El Nino, to now a very good chance at a La Nina? Is it that unpredictable?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I feel there's a good chance for El Nino later this year. However, based mainly on the models I felt the same way throughout the spring of 2017 for later that year (as did the CPC, JB and many others). It took me til July to give up on an oncoming El Nino that year. It turned out there was La Niña that fall/winter! So, I know never to bet anything close to the ranch on the upcoming fall/winter ENSO state this early due to unpredictability. I may bet on it, but not too heavily.

Here is the AmericanWx 2017 ENSO thread, which illustrates well the epic failure of the spring 2017 model forecasts that suggested a very good chance for El Niño by summer:

From that thread, this post from 9/13/2017 summed it up very well:

"How can it be that we went from a good chance at an El Nino, to now a very good chance at a La Nina? Is it that unpredictable?"

There's a reason they call it "The Spring Barrier".....our ENSO forecasts are really bad prior to early summer.

Though at least in this case, we have a historical precedent that La Nina is extremely unlikely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

did the climate really change if you weren't alive when it was colder

The whole "march is more of a winter" month narrative didn't come from a bunch of 1870s weenies....it came from people experiencing March in the past 3 decades who post on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

IIRC correctly, the 2015-2016 EL Nino...weren't initial projects for a weak EL Nino or am I remembering incorrectly? 

As @ORH_wxman stated, the 2015-6 El Niño was well predicted. Even as early as March of 2015, the dynamic models had a mean peak of +1.2 already by summer:

https://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/2015-March-quick-look/

However, the 3/2015 models were initialized with the already existing weak El Niño. So, unlike now, the models had help from it already being El Niño. They're probably more apt to predict a moderate+ El Niño later in the year when it is already weak El Niño vs if it is only neutral at initialization like the current case. But despite the current neutral initialization the dynamic model mean is up at +1.0 by summer, which though not as strong as the +1.2 summer mean of the March of 2015 dynamic models is still quite notable:

https://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/

Then again, a whopping 15 of 16 dynamic models in March of 2017 were progging El Niño by summer with a similar neutral initialization:

https://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/2017-March-quick-look/?enso_tab=enso-sst_table

So, don't bet the ranch this early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It was backloaded.  BOS got 44.7 with a big storm in February and a decent March amd even 2.2 in April.

Mid-Feb storm and equinox paste bomb totaled 40"+ at our NNJ place, where the average is +/-40".  Latter storm was 24" even though it started as light RA.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kind of like 02-03. Frustrating season until 2/7/03 and then off to the races.

XMas '02 was a biggie for many to the west.  Logan in NY killed it especially.  I recall it absolutely pounding snow driving south down 128 sometime that evening.  Total whiteout and a scary scene.  But some point near the going east/going west clusterf*** it flipped and then poured rain once on the SE expressway all the way down rt 3.  Don't recall what areas between 128 and 495 ended up with.  It was paste so probably bad ratios.  But a nice storm either way.  Big HP in place IIRC.

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

XMas '02 was a biggie for many to the west.  Logan in NY killed it especially.  I recall it absolutely pounding snow driving south down 128 sometime that evening.  Total whiteout and a scary scene.  But some point near the going east/going west clusterf*** it flipped and then poured rain once on the SE expressway all the way down rt 3.  Don't recall what areas between 128 and 495 ended up with.  It was paste so probably bad ratios.  But a nice storm either way.  Big HP in place IIRC.

That storm and the one right after NY skunked here. Couple inches or so with each one, while N&W of 128 got it good. We did have a decent event earlier in December 2002.

It all changed in Feb though and no complaints with the season.