Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

31 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

irrigation used to be around $75/head. And like everything you get what you pay for. a company near me gets a ton of biz because they undercut their competition by close to half. same price per head, but a lot fewer heads. The goal is to cover head to head. the cheap guy near me, the coverage is not nearly as good. With good water pressure, the heads should reach around 30’. So you want them spaced no more than 30’ apart, the closer the better, which means more heads and more $.

my guess is that your system is going to come in around $5k

Does this include costs associated with the inside plumbing?

If anyone has an irrigation contractor they trust/would recommend in SE Mass, let me know

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Does this include costs associated with the inside plumbing?

If anyone has an irrigation contractor they trust/would recommend in SE Mass, let me know

yes, includes the full system. Make sure you get a smart controller, like the Rachio. it is a little more expensive, but so worth it. 

13 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Anyone noticing the grass looking greener on the south coast? Can’t tell if it’s real or my imagination. Just got a quote for a sprinkler system not letting stein win again this year. 

I already mowed twice here in Branford. I put down my organic fertilizer when the forsythia were blooming like 3 weeks ago.

Who do you have for water there? I have the regional water authority which is a non profit so water is cheap. Water bill is about $25 month and will spike to $60-75 in the summer watering the lawn and plants. Some water companies like Eversource are for profit and charge huge money for water. A friend in Fairfield County pays like 5 times what I do for water. 

Screenshot_20230327-074112_Ring.jpg

• Like 3

For spring/warm enthusiasts...that extended 00z GFS was inspirational...

Just wish we could remove the word "extended," and replace it with 'short range'   But within that modeled fantasy range itself, 572 dm hydrostatic heights through everywhere, with 850s > +15C on a deep layer well mixed WSW flow ... That is equivalent ( for climate referencing...) to an ~ September 2nd sun intensity... 

Sorry, that's 85 to 90 F there.... 

But for winter/cold enthusiasts ...relax! I'm not trying to troll on the eve of what could be the last gasp snow event of the season for the interior/elevations.

By the way, the 06z NAM was over 3/4" liq equiv at Logan on the FOUS, with +.5, 0, and -3 C (980, 900, 800 mb levels) for the duration overnight tonight. That's a straight up snow sounding..

We could be 54 F with warm post equinox sun by day, and wake up with 4 .. 5" of blue glory Metro West... Looked to me like the overnight GFS wasn't altogether opposed with this snows in the region... nor the Euro for that matter, but I didn't look at the discrete layout on those so I don't know how much.  The NAM is inside of 30 hours  on this so it's likely to have shed it's N-NW bias, so in all...these are encouraging for a light kiss goodbye. 

Again, I -personally - am not feeling a bowling ball in April this year (but don't hold me to that - the idea is experimental).  As I outlined yesterday... I suspect we may actually be heading for a warmer April, both above climate and above CC default to do that anyway ...  However, BD's not "beheading," I wouldn't care to ever remove that sore butt built in aspect of our climatology in the utmost confidence of outlook times..  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For spring/warm enthusiasts...that extended 00z GFS was inspirational...

Just wish we could remove the word "extended," and replace it with 'short range'   But within that modeled fantasy range itself, 572 dm hydrostatic heights through everywhere, with 850s > +15C on a deep layer well mixed WSW flow ... That is equivalent ( for climate referencing...) to an ~ September 2nd sun intensity... 

Sorry, that's 85 to 90 F there.... 

But for winter/cold enthusiasts ...relax! I'm not trying to troll on the eve of what could be the last gasp snow event of the season for the interior/elevations.

By the way, the 06z NAM was over 3/4" liq equiv at Logan on the FOUS, with +.5, 0, and -3 C for the duration overnight tonight. That's a straight up snow sounding..

We could be 54 F with warm post equinox sun by day, and wake up with 4 .. 5" of blue glory Metro West... Looked to me like the overnight GFS wasn't altogether opposed with this snows in the region... nor the Euro for that matter, but I didn't look at the discrete layout on those so I don't know how much.  The NAM is inside of 30 hours  on this so it's likely to have shed it's N-NW bias, so in all...these are encouraging for a light kiss goodbye. 

Again, I -personally - am not feeling a bowling ball in April this year (but don't hold me to that - the idea is experimental).  As I outlined yesterday... I suspect we may actually be heading for a warmer April, both above climate and above CC default to do that anyway ...  However, BD's not "beheading," I wouldn't care to ever remove that sore butt built in aspect of our climatology in the utmost confidence of outlook times..  

So Tip!  I was going to take advantage of todays sun and remove most snow equipment....should I hold off for today? Not sure if this would be elevation stuff and just do nothing in Nashua....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 512high said:

So Tip!  I was going to take advantage of todays sun and remove most snow equipment....should I hold off for today? Not sure if this would be elevation stuff and just do nothing in Nashua....

It depends on what you mean by 'snow equipment'  

....if you mean shovels for the walk way, I wouldn't shed that particular tool anywhere N/E of NYC until May 15 around this ass banger spring climate...  If it was just me at my residence, I wouldn't even shovel for 5" ... I wouldn't, unless the plow berms the bottom of the driveway - I wouldn't care to get stuck ... Survival prospects of snow at this time of year post mortem of any event is about on par with a blind roofer's.

...if you mean the plow on the front of the F150 used to supplement daughters tuition at State college U.S.A., there's always some old lady's driveway that that will call for a swipe in 2" of vaguely transparent gray glop.

...if you mean salt products and accessories ... yeah, the shovel and/or plow should be plenty at this late time of year.  The heaviest is over by dawn, and then we pale sky in September 11 equivalent sun will melt snow while it is falling and the roads would be just wet by mid morning. As for snow blowers...keep it handing, but the snow may almost be too heavy for that...

Whatever this does, it's not lasting long on the ground.. .and definitely not the streets.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It depends on what you mean by 'snow equipment'  

....if you mean shovels for the walk way, I wouldn't shed that particular tool anywhere N/E of NYC until May 15 around this ass banger spring climate...

...if you mean the plow on the front of the F150 used to supplement daughters tuition at State college U.S.A., there's always some old lady's driveway that that will call for a swipe in 2" of vaguely transparent gray glop.

...if you mean salt products and accessories ... yeah, the shovel and/or plow should be plenty at this late time of year.  The heaviest is over by dawn, and then we pale sky in September 11 equivalent sun will melt snow while it is falling and the roads would be just wet by mid morning. As for snow blowers...keep it handing, but the snow may almost be too heavy for that...

Whatever this does, it's not lasting long on the ground.. .and definitely not the streets.

I never shoveled the April 1st storm, I had 25 inches and I just let it melt, we both had all wheel drive vehicles, so we just drove through it, I think the driveway was clear by day 3.

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I never shoveled the April 1st storm, I had 25 inches and I just let it melt, we both had all wheel drive vehicles, so we just drove through it, I think the driveway was clear by day 3.

yeah... honestly even after Feb ~ 15th every year, I start ruminating inside about how meaningless it kind of is in those moments when I stop to look down my streets.  I play with futility thoughts as neighbors dutifully send snow tubes out of their blowers.  The ones I especially like are the detail anal bleaching some expend over the roof, hoods and windows of their cars ... on March 10 when the suns do out in 3 hours after the affair. 

The next day after a spring snow, unless the synoptic circumstances pull of something very rare ...it's going to 43 to 50 under a microwave emitter for a sun angle.

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

What the hell is this?  I never had 12-24 at all this year.  ...11" total for the season, spread over 3 months.  The most I had on the ground was 4", for 2 days back in December.  

Who makes up these lies?

Lmao…ya I was like what’s that garbage? Had 5.5” on the ground for about a half a day back on 2/28. That was the extent of the pack. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That is full leaf out by Napril 15 even into southern areas of NNE type pattern if right 

Not hardly.  We're about 90 miles north of what I'd call south NNE (SFM) and low elev - 390'.  Even 2010, our mildest Feb, March and April in 25 years (24 for Apr), couldn't get much green-up by 4/30.  May 1-5 had highs 72 to 81 and that warmth jump-started things.  However, be careful what you wish for.  May 11-13 that year had lows 22/26/25 and nearly all the new growth was utterly smoked - even a few sugar maple leaves got toasted, first time I'd ever seen maples hurt by late frost.
We were visiting family in NNJ during the amazing 90s run in mid-April of 1976.  Feb-Mar had been substantially AN as well.  When we headed north on that 96° Sunday, April 18, the leaves were far below half size and later species - oaks, for example - had barely started.

• Like 2