SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Torch!

fd5uEwP.png

Geez ...I just got done talking about a warm burst signal this morning - heh... you ask and you shall receive.  Although that may be genesis there.  That's really pretty tenuous when it's a east of the cordillera like that.  I'd like to see that upstate NY with at least 60s eating away the ski industry...

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Gorgeous today.  Light jacket on one of my walks now.  Coolidge Corner is abuzz.

I love the snow on the mountain but I’m itching for 50F and sun. Come home and walk the dog through wet snow… can’t wait till it’s down to pavement and dry with shorts and a hoodie on.

We are sitting around 10” of high QPF snow depth on average in the valley bottom… 0-18” depending on aspect in town.  “Slow painful death” phase of the snow season down low.

Had 0.49” water produce 2.0” snow with this last one down here for a 4:1 ratio.  Just keeps adding water SWE to the pack unfortunately.

6EB369A9-69E8-450F-8930-BF3656BA5F53.thumb.jpeg.e4cafefd332345a06b1dc6c8d061444f.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I love the snow on the mountain but I’m itching for 50F and sun. Come home and walk the dog through wet snow… can’t wait till it’s down to pavement and dry with shorts and a hoodie on.

We are sitting around 10” of high QPF snow depth on average in the valley bottom… 0-18” depending on aspect in town.

Had 0.49” water produce 2.0” snow with this last one down here for a 4:1 ratio.  Just keeps adding water SWE to the pack unfortunately.

6EB369A9-69E8-450F-8930-BF3656BA5F53.thumb.jpeg.e4cafefd332345a06b1dc6c8d061444f.jpeg

I kind of wish my daughter didn’t move back to Boston after she completed uvm.  This would have been a fun year to visit.  We were there in early December and the ground was still bare and all I came home with was covid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Anyone noticing the grass looking greener on the south coast? Can’t tell if it’s real or my imagination. Just got a quote for a sprinkler system not letting stein win again this year. 

What was it if you don’t mind me asking? Thinking about doing the same for my yard. Quarter acre lot 

1 minute ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Anyone noticing the grass looking greener on the south coast? Can’t tell if it’s real or my imagination. Just got a quote for a sprinkler system not letting stein win again this year. 

Not so green here…but the south coast is a different world than here this time of year. Then when it gets warm(potentially next weekend)..stay away from the south coast(10 miles or so), or you’ll freeze your ass off. Told my buds that many times on our Harleys to not go to close to the coast…in April and early May..cuz you’ll freeze your balls off. 

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I am not a fan of this time of year.  What is left of my snowpack looks awful. The parts of my yard that are snow free are mushy.   
On a couple of weeks it should be better but for now it is gross. 

The worst period is the wet “grayscale” as we call it at the ski area that’s at the bottom of the pack. Like pure ice that’s the last layer to go, usually with patches of mud mixed in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not so green here…but the south coast is a different world than here this time of year. Then when it gets warm(potentially next weekend)..stay away from the south coast(10 miles or so), or you’ll freeze your ass off. Told my buds that many times on our Harleys to not go to close to the coast…in April and early May..cuz you’ll freeze your balls off. 

Even last Wednesday was near 60 just a few miles inland and 40s on the coast. I’m about 15 miles inland so it helps keep the sea breeze away about 90% of the time. 

• Like 1

Drove straight through the southern greens on the way home today, and the amount of snow between Stratton and mt. Snow in the highest elevations was incredible. Banks on the sides of the rode were over roof hight. Somewhere in that area had to have had 50”+ during the big storm. Mitch land for the win. 
Whole other world, down here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Drove straight through the southern greens on the way home today, and the amount of snow between Stratton and mt. Snow in the highest elevations was incredible. Banks on the sides of the rode were over roof hight. Somewhere in that area had to have had 50”+ during the big storm. Mitch land for the win. 
Whole other world, down here.

The photos there convinced me it was an all timer in several areas above 2k . 45” 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I’ll message you when it comes in. He just came out today. 45 heads going in I have about an acre. 

irrigation used to be around $75/head. And like everything you get what you pay for. a company near me gets a ton of biz because they undercut their competition by close to half. same price per head, but a lot fewer heads. The goal is to cover head to head. the cheap guy near me, the coverage is not nearly as good. With good water pressure, the heads should reach around 30’. So you want them spaced no more than 30’ apart, the closer the better, which means more heads and more $.

my guess is that your system is going to come in around $5k

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That is full leaf out by Napril 15 even into southern areas of NNE type pattern if right 

no way will anything be more than budding in southern NNE by 4/15. Not a chance. maybe down by you, but not up here, and I’m in south central NE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We are sitting around 10” of high QPF snow depth on average in the valley bottom… 0-18” depending on aspect in town.  “Slow painful death” phase of the snow season down low.

It’s amazing the staying power that 2” had today too. Even though it was t that warm today, lighter stuff would have vanished off my driveway and deck. Not this stuff though. Most of the driveway is still covered and my deck still has slush on it. 

• Like 1