joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

there's so little real cold to go around these days

Composite Plot

Being a winter weather enthusiast…Im Not to worried …nobody should be. NNE snowing to beat the band at the moment. And in SNE…it should be getting nice at this time of the year.  Everything as it should be. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cold Miser said:

You gonna ride...or just go get your gear? I know a few weeks ago you weren't sure, but now it seems like conditions will be awesome.

Oh ya…things really seemed to line up! They needed a lil refresher, and they got two good events…one still going. And cold temps to boot…low to mid teens at night, mid 30’s during the day…and the day I go up it 20’s during the day. So ya..gonna ride for sure. Looking very forward to it. 

• Like 3

2”. Puts me at about 83” for the season. That’s basically climo for me. Maybe a few more chances in April to get above for the season. This was a weird season but a good one, and the skiing has been the best in years. Even the local hill here is still buried and I’m looking forward to another month + of skiing around NNE. 

​​​​​​​

bbe785328a3b1a54d8473b0fcadd7d0b.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

2”. Puts me at about 83” for the season. That’s basically climo for me. Maybe a few more chances in April to get above for the season. This was a weird season but a good one, and the skiing has been the best in years. Even the local hill here is still buried and I’m looking forward to another month + of skiing around NNE. 

bbe785328a3b1a54d8473b0fcadd7d0b.jpg

Haven’t skied Shawnee peak yet. Or did they rename it to Pleasant Mt? 

We’re up there every summer though on Moose Pond. Love that area. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

You gonna ride...or just go get your gear? I know a few weeks ago you weren't sure, but now it seems like conditions will be awesome.

This was overnight Thursday night when they got the 6+ inches..grooming and looking superb. Been snowing all day today..they’re expecting about 10” when it’s done.  So ya…it should be dam good. 

1603D120-9A39-4BD5-AE13-9D254FE7B7F8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Haven’t skied Shawnee peak yet. Or did they rename it to Pleasant Mt? 

We’re up there every summer though on Moose Pond. Love that area. 

Yes it’s been changed back to its original name. Great little hill, especially when it’s 10 min from the front door. This is a great area year round. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Yes it’s been changed back to its original name. Great little hill, especially when it’s 10 min from the front door. This is a great area year round. 

Looks beautiful.  We have a local ski area in our town too…can’t beat the convenience, and we grew up with it, and the town(and surrounding towns) still love it. Everybody learned to ski there in our town. So many good times they’re growing up. So I can understand what you mean completely. 

Ours just closed this week…they had a dam good year despite the horrid winter here. I’m glad for them. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Looks beautiful.  We have a local ski area in our town too…can’t beat the convenience, and we grew up with it, and the town(and surrounding towns) still love it. Everybody learned to ski there in our town. So many good times they’re growing up. So I can understand what you mean completely. 

Ya this one’s a bit bigger than mt southington or powder ridge but those are great local spots for central CT folks. It’s not really that “little” just in comparison to our neighbor at Sunday river. It’s bigger than cranmore. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh ya…things really seemed to line up! They needed a lil refresher, and they got two good events…one still going. And cold temps to boot…low to mid teens at night, mid 30’s during the day…and the day I go up it 20’s during the day. So ya..gonna ride for sure. Looking very forward to it. 

Lil ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Ya this one’s a bit bigger than mt southington or powder ridge but those are great local spots for central CT folks. It’s not really that “little” just in comparison to our neighbor at Sunday river. It’s bigger than cranmore. 

Oh ya I realized that….your place looks gorgeous. And yes, much larger for sure. was just commenting on the close local idea…so fortunate in that regard. 

Wow…I didn’t know you were familiar with this area.   Actually Mount Southington is bigger and a little more expansive than powder ridge…but they’re both great little local spots. Mount Southington actually has quite a good ski race team and following. 

34 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh ya I realized that….your place looks gorgeous. And yes, much larger for sure. was just commenting on the close local idea…so fortunate in that regard. 

Wow…I didn’t know you were familiar with this area.   Actually Mount Southington is bigger and a little more expansive than powder ridge…but they’re both great little local spots. Mount Southington actually has quite a good ski race team and following. 

I guess I’ll out myself as a flatlander. I grew up in central CT a good long while ago and learned to ski after school at powder ridge when the night skiing scene was strong there. I still get down that way for friends/family and for the annual ESC enduro mountain bike race at powder ridge. It’s great to see that place thriving again. I’ll never leave NNE but central CT gets an unfair reputation. It was a great place to grow up, had some good winters there during my childhood. Have many friends who are raising kids in that area and it’s still a great place for that. And the food and cultural diversity is on another level. The food in NNE sucks so bad outside of a few isolated spots.

I also happened to be back in that part of CT for Nemo while I was helping my dad with a move. Still one of the top 3 craziest weather events of my life. We don’t get snowstorms like that here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I guess I’ll put myself as a flatlander. I grew up in central CT a good long while ago and learned to ski after school at powder ridge when the night skiing scene was strong there. I still get down that way for friends/family and for the annual ESC enduro mountain bike race at powder ridge. It’s great to see that place thriving again. I’ll never leave NNE but central CT gets an unfair reputation. It was a great place to grow up, had some good winters there during my childhood. Have many friends who are raising kids in that area still and it’s a great for that. And the food and cultural diversity is on another level. The food in NNE sucks so bad outside of a few isolated spots.

I also happened to be back in that part of CT for Nemo while I was helping my dad with a move. Still one of the top 3 craziest weather events of my life. We don’t get snowstorms like that here.

Great post.  Yes I’d have to agree with everything you said. It was a great place to grow up, and it still is as you said. And yes, it can be plenty wintry and extreme here when the storms come in and track right. Ya Feb 13 was incredible…30-40 inches in this area.  

Imo, it was that storm(Nemo Feb 13) that was the equivalent or even then some to blizzard of 78 here.  Nemo had more snow, but ‘78 had bigger drifts. But both were incredible and extreme events…so memorable for sure. 

Glad you shared that you grew up here..

And yes…the food/restaurants in this area are superb. Many to choose from and most are really at the top of their game. It can spoil you. I love NNE/Maine, especially where I go sledding, but as you said, the restaurants/food can’t even hold a candle to this area..it is a disappointment in that regard.  But it’s all trade offs in the end as we all know. 

I follow your sub a lot and it seems this winter season is at should be up there.  Northern N.E has received plenty of snow which keeps the economy up there at least above head due to ok skiing and snowmobiling.  Another positive is California receiving enough rain and snow to keep their reservoirs full and hopefully replenish the groundwater reservoirs. As far as central New England goes, you may be below average but at least most of you had white ground cover for a while.

Alas, down here in west/central N.J I have only received about 2" of snow which never stayed around for more than a day.

• Like 2