• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3.0" from 0.41" LE, and so sticky that sweeping made immovable piles (unless I kicked it.)  Trees are loaded, makes it harder to watch the deer walking down the groomer track.  (But the brown really stands out.)

Edit (after reading comments about radar):  We had echoes, some decent looking, 3 PM on but no flakes until 7:30.

• Like 2

Put some of the hardy outdoor plants back out yesterday morning. They were tired and showing the stress of 4 months indoors, as it was. Wife still thought I was nuts with the snow/sleet fallin’ in the early afternoon. But white rain prevails. 36 for a low. Sun out and a 50F day on tap. Might have to take ‘em in one or two more nights before all clear, but this has been the most seasonal progression since my move in 2015. Steady as she goes—winter gave way to spring right with the calendar, but without any big warm-up. We are springin’ New England style. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Put some of the hardy outdoor plants back out yesterday morning. They were tired and showing the stress of 4 months indoors, as it was. Wife still thought I was nuts with the snow/sleet fallin’ in the early afternoon. But white rain prevails. 36 for a low. Sun out and a 50F day on tap. Might have to take ‘em in one or two more nights before all clear, but this has been the most seasonal progression since my move in 2015. Steady as she goes—winter gave way to spring right with the calendar, but without any big warm-up. We are springin’ New England style. 

It's almost like you're trying to Feng Shui the outdoors to elicit a response from the 'spirit' of summer ?  LOL ...  Kind of like that guy that starts wearing cargo shorts on April 15 whether there is a backdoor 38er in mist or not -

Luckily for us spring/warm enthusiasts ... April has a warm signal between roughly the 5th and 15th.  I mentioned this a couple of days ago as a one sentence pot shot jest. I meant it though.  We'll see, but last night the GGEM and Euro "might" but just be detecting.  It's D8+ blah blab so the obvious etc etc... Fwi not w, the 06z GFS rolled up 582 heights to NJ in the fantasy range. 

See ... I think we have a shot of more of that showing up in the models.

Yesterday, and this flat wave on Tuesday ...these may have been the last gasps/bringing in the loved ones.  I just don't sense the background canvas of probabilities as being very favorable for cold April -  mind you ...there is a distinction between April just being a really difficult month to enjoy around here, and waging for one that is above normal.  Folks tend to conflate their disappointment, with science.

Anyway, the last 7 or so years of Feb/Mar/Apr  ( despite individual years hosting a late snow or two...) have observed an unusually higher frequency of what I call "warm burst synoptics" . Essentially, the R/wave redistribution catches the eastern N/A mid latitudes between any cold signal at all, and resulting warm ups seemed to 'synergistic' over-achieve.    It's been rather alarming (frankly). There may actually be some argument that the greatest standard deviation events we have experienced in New England in the last 50 years are really those 80+F events during those three month.  There was an Easter that had 90+F  (but the year escapes me).  Almost like in the aggregate, that is definitely the most usual. Albeit's significance silenced by the fact that it was actually enjoyable and not of the ilk tearing roofs off of homes or burying villages in blue snow.

Then being recurrent encourages looking for leading indicators. I suspect we're presently in renewed signaling, similar to back before the records in February - though those results were relatively mundane.  Despite the rapidity of the Nina circulation break down, there's still some hang-over identifiable to the 'attitude' of restoration/base-line.  The MJO then appears it wants to at least smolder through the right side of the RMM.  Meanwhile, the NAO, the EPO are both neutralizing rather abruptly end March...  all the while, the PNA statically sub 0 SD.    Putting these together .. hm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The sick thing is that he’s not kidding 

First day it’s 65F and sunny his kids have their windows open, talking about how nice it is to get a fresh breeze inside after 5 months…. in walks Dad carrying the A/C unit saying it’s time to strap it all down again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

there's so little real cold to go around these days

Composite Plot

Yeah that’s a big reason why Joe Bastardis winter forecasts have been getting worse and worse. He uses old analogs from when the base state was significantly cooler. As the base state continues to warm, those analogs become more and more cold biased. 

• Like 2