Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’re not married and no kids . So you really cannot say that . It changes everything. If you want a family , generally you can’t move and live in remote snowy locations and earn a great living . If you are single, like Dilfs and Milfs .. and don’t want a family you can

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

With a lot of decent jobs offering remote it is easier to live in a snowy zone today. Families can easily handle living a rural life.  Not everyone is in an air conditioned soccer mom/dad bubble. 

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s nice to go to a restaurant or brewery once in a while and not drive 40 minutes. 

Call me Switzerland but I agree with all 3 of these posts.

Let's keep the Tu/Weds threat south of route 2, TIA.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Call me Switzerland but I agree with all 3 of these posts.

Let's keep the Tu/Weds threat south of route 2, TIA.

Feel lucky up here to be in the mountains, pretty snowy, great thunderstorms and squall lines, all sorts of weather… and can walk to a dozen great restaurants, breweries, live music, etc.

Definitely not the norm though in NNE.

• Like 6

Alta, Utah is 6” from their all-time record at their Collins Snow Plot.  Had like 18” today (resets at 8am).

Had a dumping this afternoon.

2A02E130-FED3-4794-95D1-11112DD1FB6C.jpeg.b960321a364ede3b7c7bbcb9b822d68b.jpeg

Friend living and working up there says record is 748”.

Edit: They just had another 1.5” last hour to get to 744”. So 4” away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Feel lucky up here to be in the mountains, pretty snowy, great thunderstorms and squall lines, all sorts of weather… and can walk to a dozen great restaurants, breweries, live music, etc.

And here, I'm sacrificing severe threats and the benefit of elevation/interior snows for convenience and proximity to the ocean.  I couldn't live somewhere where I can't be at/in the water within 15 minutes.  I am a fish, afterall. My snow climo is equitable to ORH which is OK by me.

PS, TK was praising the transparency of your mountain report this AM on twitter.

• Like 3

This stuff is bonkers. Avalanche danger through the roof with extreme snowfall rates during the ski day. This would be a dream, lol. Damage.  Being in Mountain Operations as this stuff happens has to be an adrenaline rush.

Authorities closing roads, and the only real Marshal Law used in the United States on a regular basis where it is illegal to go outside.

623B4C0A-8210-40BE-AA68-D9EBE3804D19.jpeg.ff3948b126a61ac9e5cc41922441d66a.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Alta, Utah is 6” from their all-time record at their Collins Snow Plot.  Had like 18” today (resets at 8am).

Had a dumping this afternoon.

2A02E130-FED3-4794-95D1-11112DD1FB6C.jpeg.b960321a364ede3b7c7bbcb9b822d68b.jpeg

Friend living and working up there says record is 748”.

Edit: They just had another 1.5” last hour to get to 744”. So 4” away.

Damn.  I think they just hit 700 in the past week, too.  What a week (season)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

so many I haven't been to, but thought Ranch Camp was a cool place to eat, and also Lost Nation in Morrisville we've been to a few times. Gotta get back up there again 

• Like 1

Just now, tunafish said:

And here, I'm sacrificing severe threats and the benefit of elevation/interior snows for convenience and proximity to the ocean.  I couldn't live somewhere where I can't be at/in the water within 15 minutes.  I am a fish, afterall. My snow climo is equitable to ORH which is OK by me.

PS, TK was praising the transparency of your mountain report this AM on twitter.

If I couldn’t live in the mtns it would be on the coast. I decided long ago growing up in Albany NY that the interior did almost nothing for me if not mountains or ocean.  Need one or the other.

• Like 3

One of my good friends is in his 5th season working at the Alta Lodge. Between a combination of getting “Canyon Fever” and getting older (perhaps related), he decided to move down valley this season.

He’s said it’s been a total PITA, and he’s slept 20 days on the floor of the lodge since he can’t get back down the canyon/has to be at work in the morning and can’t afford an avalanche control delay. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

One of my good friends is in his 5th season working at the Alta Lodge. Between a combination of getting “Canyon Fever” and getting older (perhaps related), he decided to move down valley this season.

He’s said it’s been a total PITA, and he’s slept 20 days on the floor of the lodge since he can’t get back down the canyon/has to be at work in the morning and can’t afford an avalanche control delay. 

It has to be an operational and employee sh*tshow. I can’t imagine how all those western spots have done it this season with record snows, multi day road closures, etc.  Everyone has an overnight bag in their cars, sleeping bags in their offices, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

I'm in a similar boat, but a few years ago I made the decision that winter wave riding (November through April) wasn't in the cards for me anymore, as cold feet were inevitable and while manageable to an extent, it was the cold water in my ears that had a lasting negative impact. I made the move to get a weekend place up north (Coos County, NH) and then spend the week down south in Rhode Island. It will be interesting and fun this summer to have the option of either state for outdoor activities. Life is short and with health sending signals that life is short, I'm happy to have made this upgrade and enjoying each day as best I can. Looking forward to some firm, then soft then snowy Wildcat tomorrow and then some form of hike in the Nash Stream Forest Areas for sunset.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, mcglups said:

I'm in a similar boat, but a few years ago I made the decision that winter wave riding (November through April) wasn't in the cards for me anymore, as cold feet were inevitable and while manageable to an extent, it was the cold water in my ears that had a lasting negative impact. I made the move to get a weekend place up north (Coos County, NH) and then spend the week down south in Rhode Island. It will be interesting and fun this summer to have the option of either state for outdoor activities. Life is short and with health sending signals that life is short, I'm happy to have made this upgrade and enjoying each day as best I can. Looking forward to some firm, then soft then snowy Wildcat tomorrow and then some form of hike in the Nash Stream Forest Areas for sunset.

I’m in a similar boat here living a few minutes from the ocean here in Monmouth County, NJ and the cabin in the Greens. The optionality of both is a nice feature. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, mcglups said:

I hear you on the cold water.  I haven't gotten there yet but I know my window won't last long. 

My goal is one dip per calendar month.  This year I made it to Nov, and plan to start in April.  Close that gap by a month on both ends next year, and so on until I'm year round.

If you want to cut that commute in half, Southern Maine (Higgins Beach, Scarborough) can Scratch that surf Itch pretty well.

• Like 1