Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It just so happens that this logic worked out this year, but it often does not....like in 2000. Claiming you knew winter would be mild because of a warm stretch in November sounds like BS to me, unless you had some research presented amongst the train of memes that I missed. Just like those claiming that they knew winter wouldn't be mild without anything to back it was BS.                            

It’s a defense mechanism.

• Like 2

It just so happens that this logic worked out this year, but it often does not....like in 2000. Claiming you knew winter would be mild because of a warm stretch in November sounds like BS to me, unless you had some research presented amongst the train of memes that I missed.

...the fact is the warmth in November was a harbinger of things to come...and the warmth was downplayed by some individuals

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It just so happens that this logic worked out this year, but it often does not....like in 2000. Claiming you knew winter would be mild because of a warm stretch in November sounds like BS to me, unless you had some research presented amongst the train of memes that I missed. Just like those claiming that they knew winter wouldn't be mild without anything to back it was BS.   This is as example of luck rather than any forecasting skill, per se.                       

Agree!!

• Haha 3

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree....need to project the frustration somewhere.

You're the one that has expressed frustration with the winter. I had very low expectations for the winter....no frustration at my end. I long ago accepted/knew that it wasn't going to be all that good of a winter.

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

You're the one that has expressed frustration with the winter. I had very low expectations for the winter....no frustration at my end. I long ago accepted/knew that it wasn't going to be all that good of a winter.

Oh its good to know because I had assumed it was the caterpillars or the squirrel's nuts.

33 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I haven't expressed any frustration since about January...over it. I didn't even really complain when we got boned Tuesday.

Some more tidbits for the naturalists:

Friend spotted large hungry bear in Barrington, messing with his bird feeders last night. Out from hibernation. Cocheco is least frozen since mid January. Both observations following a pattern of "normal", and no big warm fronts.

Oh yea, and the latest guidance looks like persistence. CPC is also warm.

I'm calling this winter over for SNE into SE NH.

We spring.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I'm ready for warmth as much as anyone, but other than some shorter warm interludes, there really isn't much sustained warmth to get excited about on the ensembles or weeklies

Agreed. It's like Jan - early March were all, mostly late November; with brief winter interludes. With the sun doing it's thing, now we have late March/early April looking sensible weather. Seasonal, for the most part. Still not pretty but at least bare ground and longer daylight hours make outdoor spring activities possible.

I'd really love a late March warm front past Bangor, right about now....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Agreed. It's like Jan - early March were all, mostly late November. With the sun doing it's thing, now we have late March/early April looking sensible weather. Seasonal, for the most part. Still not pretty but at least bare ground and longer daylight hours make outdoor spring activities possible.

You had a good "take" on the winter from November on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I feel like the part of the year that I really fell on my face was January. The very active storm track worked out, but it was just sooooo mild that the big snows only worked out for NNE. I had it near normal temps. I have some idea as to why. I will do the assessment in May, but I feel like that is the one month that I really missed.

I haven't expressed any frustration since about January...over it. I didn't even really complain when we got boned Tuesday.

The local gradient has been crazy. I think your around 40"? I'm at 48.5" and I'm positive the north side of town has had several more inches. West Hampstead coop (seems a little slanty) is 65", but the Massabesic coop up near exit 6 is near 60" and missing data for part of that last storm. 

• Like 1

Just now, wx2fish said:

The local gradient has been crazy. I think your around 40"? I'm at 48.5" and I'm positive the north side of town has had several more inches. West Hampstead coop (seems a little slanty) is 65", but the Massabesic coop up near exit 6 is near 60" and missing data for part of that last storm. 

Yea, 40.5".

I was down in Greenville SC recently and you could see into the past how the base of the longwave troughs were displaced too far west for us this season, persistently. They didn't have snow to show for it, but the landscape looked like it had been shocked into cold many times this winter. 

Just 500 miles in longitude but that difference really meant a lot for SNE/CNE and into SE NH. You can see it even on latest guidance. Interesting...

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Friends and relatives live in Hampstead that seems  very high....

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think there is any connection.   It just happened to work out like that that that this year.

Exactly.  The crows, the squirrels, the grass…the acorns etc etc…its total and complete Bull Shit period. November  warmth or cold had nothing to do with winters outcome.  And if he believes that it wasn’t just blind luck, he’s just plain wrong.  

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

34 at my home in Methuen...

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Friends and relatives live in Hampstead that seems  very high....

That coop always seems to run high. I think its NW Hampstead toward Derry and has a little elevation, but still. It recorded 17.3" with the last event. I did drive into Derry after that last and 17" wasn't a stretch above 500'

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Exactly.  The crows, the squirrels, the grass…the acorns etc etc…in total and complete Bull Shit period. November  warmth or cold had nothing to do with winters outcome.  And if he believe that it wasn’t just blind luck, he’s just plain wrong.  

Well, I don't think the fact that winter was very mild was just bad luck....but do think the fable about November warmth holding up was luck.