Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We rarely had them when I was in middle and high school.   I did have over 3 weeks off when the Blizzard of '78 caved in the roof of my elementary school and they had to open a mothballed school.

Blizzard of 78 I was in college....classes got dismissed at 1 PM....next 4 days classes were cancelled.  That was the only time classes were cancelled during my college years all 17 of them......as one prof said(paraphrasing) "we are preparing you for the workforce and that includes driving to work in snowstorms"....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Blizzard of 78 I was in college....classes got dismissed at 1 PM....next 4 days classes were cancelled.  That was the only time classes were cancelled during my college years all 17 of them......as one prof said(paraphrasing) "we are preparing you for the workforce and that includes driving to work in snowstorms"....

At the company I worked for a while ago we didn't used to cancel for snowstorms. Then we got a new branch manager. He had made his secretary drive into work in NJ one snowy/icy day.  She was killed either coming into work or going home.   He never had people come in during snow/ice if he could avoid it after that.

We still did work in the snow though.  I recall being at a site on Beverly harbor when we were getting dumped on and the winds were awful.  I froze.  The ride back to Marlboro in a sketchy hazardous waste truck was not fun

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Longest closure I had was 9 days in Jan 1961, because a fire wrecked nearly a third of the HS.  Lots of cold ice fishing, as it was in the midst of NYC's record 16-day run of maxima 32 or lower - mildest during the streak was 29.  Then the blizzard of Feb 34, a Fri-Sat event, closed school on Monday, the only 3rd-day closing for snow I've had.  Better than NYC, though, as their schools lost that entire week.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Longest closure I had was 9 days in Jan 1961, because a fire wrecked nearly a third of the HS.  Lots of cold ice fishing, as it was in the midst of NYC's record 16-day run of maxima 32 or lower - mildest during the streak was 29.  Then the blizzard of Feb 34, a Fri-Sat event, closed school on Monday, the only 3rd-day closing for snow I've had.  Better than NYC, though, as their schools lost that entire week.

Feb of '34 must have been something.  Jerry was in grad school by then

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm still not sure how I would grade it... At first glance it looks great with a giant storm.  But so painful for much of it

I guess it's similar to making the playoffs as the final seed, yet winning the championship. Maybe a better example is the NBA...making the playoffs the #8 seed with a record of 31-51 and winning the championship :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I'm still not sure how I would grade it... At first glance it looks great with a giant storm.  But so painful for much of it

Started off decent in Dec with that 8" dumping on the 15th. After that, sixteen 1-4" events leading up to the big one. 

• Like 1