Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

19 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I was down in the St. Pete Beach area for a brief trip this past weekend (Sat-Mon). Typical winter/spring transition weather down there during my short stay.

saturday-march-18th-2023-treasure-island-beach-treasure-island-fl-2_orig.jpeg

monday-march-20th-2023-fort-de-soto-park-tierra-verde-fl_orig.jpeg

monday-march-20th-2023-north-beach-fort-de-soto-park-tierra-verde-fl-2_orig.jpeg

Great pics!! I look forward to being there when it’s a more summer like storm pattern. Love the beautiful sands and water even tho I love our Great Lake dunes

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Great pics!! I look forward to being there when it’s a more summer like storm pattern. Love the beautiful sands and water even tho I love our Great Lake dunes

The sea foam is the giveaway, other than that it looks like the great lakes.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

For those in MN/WI/MI that are not socked in clouds, a big northern lights display is currently underway.

Being reported as far south as Virginia, with solid naked eye viewing.

Kp of 7.33, nice! Too bad Indiana is 100% stratus-fest, as usual.

Awe man I was so upset to miss these lights the clouds blocked my view. With how active this solar cycle has become and it’s still early on in it. I believe we will be getting quite a few of these maybe one even stronger. When we hit autumn or spring equinox with the way our magnetic fields works any strong solar activity is only amplified around those times. We had a G4 class storm if it was a few weeks prior or later would have possibly been a G3 class

7 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Awe man I was so upset to miss these lights the clouds blocked my view. With how active this solar cycle has become and it’s still early on in it. I believe we will be getting quite a few of these maybe one even stronger. When we hit autumn or spring equinox with the way our magnetic fields works any strong solar activity is only amplified around those times. We had a G4 class storm if it was a few weeks prior or later would have possibly been a G3 class

I was bummed to that it was cloudy last night.  As you say there should be more opportunity coming!! 

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Still be a while before these dirty mountains melt

Screenshot_20230323_232927_Gallery.jpg

Up until yesterday we still had a good 25% of the area with few inches of snow cover but the yesterdays rain and warmth now has it to just a few strongly shaded areas and of course piles that have snow remaining.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I was bummed to that it was cloudy last night.  As you say there should be more opportunity coming!! 

We also have a total solar eclipse 04/08/24. 98% totality thru most of the metro. I’ll be going to Toledo the day that happens. I’ve been waiting for that day since 2012 when I found out about it. And at some point we will have some Auroras overhead without clouds. I think we are 6/6 on clouds when it comes to the last few times they have been visible down this way

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Still be a while before these dirty mountains melt

Screenshot_20230323_232927_Gallery.jpg

They are writing news articles about the snow piles in the Twin Cities this year. The city of Bloomington dumps all its snow in a field by my office, I don’t think that will completely melt til mid May. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/minnesota/news/massive-snow-pile-lovingly-named-mt-eden-prairie/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

We also have a total solar eclipse 04/08/24. 98% totality thru most of the metro. I’ll be going to Toledo the day that happens. I’ve been waiting for that day since 2012 when I found out about it. And at some point we will have some Auroras overhead without clouds. I think we are 6/6 on clouds when it comes to the last few times they have been visible down this way

Climo says don't get your hopes up for clear skies with the 2024 Solar Eclipse, at least in this part of the country.

2017 was really the best-case scenario possible.

54 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Climo says don't get your hopes up for clear skies with the 2024 Solar Eclipse, at least in this part of the country.

2017 was really the best-case scenario possible.

Even so the fact it will get very dark for a time is fascinating considering it’s mid afternoon when it rolls thru. A life goal to check off the list :sun:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

I am considering going to Indy then.  Yeah the clouds have been a problem for us with Auroras.  Sadly the clear nights with possible Auroras have underperformed.

11 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

They are writing news articles about the snow piles in the Twin Cities this year. The city of Bloomington dumps all its snow in a field by my office, I don’t think that will completely melt til mid May. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/minnesota/news/massive-snow-pile-lovingly-named-mt-eden-prairie/

It may even be later on that but it will be quite unsightly by then lol. DTW has a lot they dump snow in from the runways. Some years it can get huge. 

What if it’s overcast in Toledo?

13 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Even so the fact it will get very dark for a time is fascinating considering it’s mid afternoon when it rolls thru. A life goal to check off the list :sun:

20 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

What if it’s overcast in Toledo?

Still awesome 

5 hours ago, TheRegionRat said:

Had ORD reached 60 degrees this month? If it hasn't and doesn't, how unusual would that be?

No, ORD’s max temp this March is only 56. Only 8 other Marches over the past 150 years have had a lower monthly max…but a lot of historical March monthly max temps are in the 57-59 range.

So, it’s a bit unusual…but not unprecedented. 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, Harry said:

The actual total for here is 81.2"!

For March it is at 22.0" I'll check later to see where it ranks. 

So the Nina has again delivered for SWMI but with even less staying power than 07-08. Wild how the lake has helped you hit such high totals over there. Across SMI west to east looks like AN->N->BN for seasonal snowfall.