Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

22 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Duluth is now up to 113 consecutive days with 2"+ snow depth; the streak began November 15th.  Currently 30" on the ground.

45N and north is a different planet.  ORD has only had 13 days with 2"+ snow on the ground this season, and zero days with 4"+. :lmao:

Yes it is a little different up this way. Canada starts here ay! LOL

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

If it makes anyone feel better, we will probably be paying for it soon. How much do you want to bet Minnesota will be stuck on the cold side of the warm front this spring while the rest of you get to enjoy the warm sector? Or it might just snow here until May. That’s also a possibility.

We've done a lot better in Detroit than Chicago. Not good, but a lot better. But I'm different than most. I'd rather be on the cold side of the warm sector and have snow into May. And actually it has been snowing into late April and May in recent years lol.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, Harry said:

Both the NAM and HRR are going bye bye at the end of the year. I can understand the NAM but HRR? HRR still seems to perform well with LES around here atleast. 

On 3/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, Chicago Storm said:

It is expected that they will be, but an update has not been issued that I've seen.

12km (OP) NAM, 3km NAM, RAP, HRRR and other hi-res will be discontinued, all to be replaced by the RRF.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:38 PM, Harry said:

Was a update posted on the model website I use on the 1st. Can't seem to figure how to copy and place the text here. Damn phone. 

Today I ironically came across some newer info regarding this... And the transition has been changed to 2024.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Random question. Is it a good idea to do the skywarn class to become a spotter/observer? 

Not the dude to answer this but growing up my neighbors were spotters and I always felt a little safer knowing my neighbors were keeping an eye on the skies with me. At the very least it makes you a good neighbor :)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Random question. Is it a good idea to do the skywarn class to become a spotter/observer? 

Storm spotting classes is a good way to learn a little meteorology and also to get to know a couple of the mets at your NWS office.

• Thanks 1

MSP is up to 102 consecutive days with 1”+ snow cover, and 111 total days for the season. There were 9 days of snow cover earlier in November, before the streak began on 11/30.

Should easily add 5-7 more days, and possibly 10. Unfortunately it only takes a couple of mild or rainy days to wipe out snow cover in mid-late March, even if it’s currently a glacier. 

One of my favorite places (Minocqua WI) basically has the same numbers as MSP this season. Their consecutive 1”+ snow cover record is probably unbreakable, 150 days from 11/23/1996 to 4/21/1997. :wub:

• Like 1