Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

47 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I am in Farmington MI right now for work.   Snow flakes are monsters at 2-3" diameter snow flakes.

As I came up from Monroe to canton I got into a mix where it’s been big flakes and sleet then switch to rain and everything in between 

3 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

As I came up from Monroe to canton I got into a mix where it’s been big flakes and sleet then switch to rain and everything in between 

When I got home they said they got the same as you mentioned.  Got lucky to be in work today as normal I don't go in on Mondays

6 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

I can confirm. It was like marshmallows falling from the sky. It was a true mixed bag from rain to snow and sleet to rain back to snow back to rain lol. Picked up a very slushy 0.2" both here & DTW. The old snow cover is reduced to patches in the shade and of course lots of plow piles

• Like 1

Feb ending on the warmer side this year. 5/10 yr trends respectively.

EDIT: Just a note here, but what I believed would be a top 5 Jan, ended up not being the case. As other datasets reported, they came in lower than the prelim data, so 9th on my chart is what it ended up being. Still a warm one tho.

Feb anom 5yr Midwest.gif

Feb anom 10yr Midwest.gif

46 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Duluth could very well challenge it snow season record this year. Already over 100", and it can snow into early May. Record is in my sig below.

Duluth is now up to 113 consecutive days with 2"+ snow depth; the streak began November 15th.  Currently 30" on the ground.

45N and north is a different planet.  ORD has only had 13 days with 2"+ snow on the ground this season, and zero days with 4"+. :lmao:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beavis1729 said:

Duluth is now up to 113 consecutive days with 2"+ snow depth; the streak began November 15th.  Currently 30" on the ground.

45N and north is a different planet.  ORD has only had 13 days with 2"+ snow on the ground this season, and zero days with 4"+. :lmao:

It is indeed far different. But Duluth is having a banner season and Chicago a bad one. Some places 45N had awfully bare stretches in mid winter. Just not a good Winter relative to climo except isolated parts of the UP and of course Minnesota. 

13 minutes ago, Chambana said:

First 70 of the year yesterday, got in a nice bacon wrapped brat smoke session. With 30-45 minutes remaining I brush them with my homemade bbq sauce and it creates a carmelish glaze. 

56CADC0B-760D-4131-9751-4388B2178193.jpeg

if you haven't already, try the same with pork chops.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Looks like some heavy snow moved through 1-2am overnight. Woke up to a fresh 1.4". March so far is 7.1", season to date 28.7". DTW also got 1.4", so 7.8" in March and 29.0" season to date.

FB_IMG_1678200321237.jpg

8.2" here on the month - #winning! (was a splendid wint-spring morning) 

It is indeed far different. But Duluth is having a banner season and Chicago a bad one. Some places 45N had awfully bare stretches in mid winter. Just not a good Winter relative to climo except isolated parts of the UP and of course Minnesota. 

If it makes anyone feel better, we will probably be paying for it soon. How much do you want to bet Minnesota will be stuck on the cold side of the warm front this spring while the rest of you get to enjoy the warm sector? Or it might just snow here until May. That’s also a possibility.

4 minutes ago, mnchaserguy said:

If it makes anyone feel better, we will probably be paying for it soon. How much do you want to bet Minnesota will be stuck on the cold side of the warm front this spring while the rest of you get to enjoy the warm sector? Or it might just snow here until May. That’s also a possibility.

Many warm fronts get hung up around the MI boarder due to the Great Lakes.  Indiana and Ohio will be 70s+ yet 40s/50s IMBY.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Both the NAM and HRR are going bye bye at the end of the year. I can understand the NAM but HRR? HRR still seems to perform well with LES around here atleast. 

What will be the replacement for those models? Any good reading I can do?

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Both the NAM and HRR are going bye bye at the end of the year. I can understand the NAM but HRR? HRR still seems to perform well with LES around here atleast. 

It is expected that they will be, but an update has not been issued that I've seen.

12km (OP) NAM, 3km NAM, RAP, HRRR and other hi-res will be discontinued, all to be replaced by the RRF.

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It is expected that they will be, but an update has not been issued that I've seen.

12km (OP) NAM, 3km NAM, RAP, HRRR and other hi-res will be discontinued, all to be replaced by the RRF.

Was a update posted on the model website I use on the 1st. Can't seem to figure how to copy and place the text here. Damn phone. 

9 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

I hope so.  MSP can keep piling up the white gold.

• Like 1