Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It picked up on more interaction with the western trough/NS energy and the resulting NW track for the March 3-4 storm first.

I know, that's probably the one thing that it's gotten right all by itself this year. usually happens once a year or so. still the worst performing model out of all the globals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

My only point is beyond 5 days, unless there is strong model consensus, keep expectations in check or prepare to be disappointed again… (I need to heed my own advice..). It is cool that there is some potential in the second to third week of March but it is going to be another 5 days at least before anyone can forecast a big storm with any confidence.

From the guy who has made a career of posting 16 day snow maps

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Maybe digging a little too fast this run, but holy moly. EPS will probably go bonkers this run with an op run like this

83e8f2043af319284241e6f08c0f96b4.jpg

I thought that at first glance but if you loop the run and look at the blocked flow over the top…it can’t cut. It’s going to try though and that’s when we get annihilated, when a juiced up bomb tries to cut but can’t!  Sure we might mix but that would have been an absolute monster solution had it gone out to day 12.

Y’all can save the “it’s 10 days” crap. I can math and read a calendar. Obviously I know this is never going to be 100% correct and it’s just one of a bunch of permutations to this pattern.  But this kind of solution is finally supported by the longwave pattern and realistically possible. Doesn’t mean it will happen. I’d bet against it if I had too. But it’s a way better bet in this pattern than at any time all season when we were wasting time on bullshit that had absolutely no chance based on the pattern.  This is finally a pattern worth keeping an eye on threats. 

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If I got to witness 93 again I’d forfeit snow for 5 years gladly

Taken at face value this is illogical and makes absolutely zero sense. Especially given the fact that we've had multiple storms since (and numerous prior) that have been way better....by far.

What are we missing?

at this point I wouldn't pay much attention to the GFS/GEFS unless the EPS/GEPS move towards it in a significant way. it's on a complete island right now, and the EPS/GEPS became more favorable, if anything. definitely dug their heels in at 12z while the GEFS has been shuffling about... the GFS OP moved towards them in a big way

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Its a Breeze said:

Taken at face value this is illogical and makes absolutely zero sense. Especially given the fact that we've had multiple storms since (and numerous prior) that have been way better....by far.

What are we missing?

You’re insane and obviously know nothing of the 93 storm. You’re judging a weather event based upon how much snow fell in your yard alone. Granted it wouldn’t have been as awesome had I not gotten nearly 30” of snow, it was an event that has no equal when you consider it covered from Florida to Maine. Do some research.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is nearly perfect. the EPS is holding serve on a legitimate KU evolution for next weekend

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1677672000-1678190400-1678492800-40-1.thumb.gif.edfa6b407f2519c3d92ab27a21f45bbf.gif

The -AO continues to trend in the stronger direction out near that time. I wouldn't be surprised if this continues. Could this be because of the very weak SPV? The 10 mb winds at 60N dipped all of the down to -19 m/s yesterday, indicative of a very weak strat. A strong -AO is a primary effect of a successfully down-welled weak strat onto the troposphere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

at this point I wouldn't pay much attention to the GFS/GEFS unless the EPS/GEPS move towards it in a significant way. it's on a complete island right now, and the EPS/GEPS became more favorable, if anything. definitely dug their heels in at 12z while the GEFS has been shuffling about... the GFS OP moved towards them in a big way

GFS suite was on an island for this weeks storm for several days too

• Like 1