Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

19 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

here are the effects of that small change only a day later... seems like a legit shift towards the more favorable pattern evolution

ezgif-5-a31dbf4c02.thumb.gif.f97a88f1663b1937601b410b6c39d60b.gif

I am willing to learn how that last pattern is good for our latitude. We don’t get snowstorms on the downward side of a trough.

8 minutes ago, Blizzard Hunter said:

I am a true Blizzard hunter indeed, and a desperate one. It's been going on five years now. 

Only a few weeks left of tracking, might as well go all in.  Looks like a semi-zonal flow/blocking is our best chance to break the snide.  We usually need an El Nino/STJ to get the big ticket storms, but anyone who truly knows what will happen beyond day 10 should probably be upgrading from armchair QB to getting paid to play.

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I am willing to learn how that last pattern is good for our latitude. We don’t get snowstorms on the downward side of a trough.

the 50/50 ULL locks in confluence and keeps storms from cutting. it's probably the most important feature for any 6"+ snowstorm in the MA

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the 50/50 ULL locks in confluence and keeps storms from cutting. it's probably the most important feature for any 6"+ snowstorm in the MA

The problem is that even in a normal winter, south of the M/D line is touch and go when it comes to a SECS/MECS.  This upcoming pattern looks promising for the midwest to PA/northeast, but it's not easy to snow here even in January.  I'm definitely in the camp that would like to suppression show up first and bank on the jet being a little further north than advertised.

GEFS is still pretty much the same in the west, which is annoying, but it is really ratcheting up the blocking now, so that's a plus. that C US ridge is also getting squashed. the GEFS is pretty much on its own with this look by Thursday... the GEPS looks like it's going to hold serve from 00z last night

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-1677672000-1678320000-1678320000-40.thumb.gif.55e08571db6b780a2465f03e7436def3.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

GEPS still looks great for next week. absolutely nothing like the GEFS, more so following the EPS

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-8428000.thumb.png.42dd446019c10f914c34b110bfd3c460.png

Quite interesting to see  those differences in the handling of the western energy.  The GFS was on its own for this upcoming weekend event as it shifted north to where we are now before the other models...the others moved toward it slowly but surely hence all those "King GFS" posts....why do you think this period of time is different? 

57 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

But that could also lead us to sheared out storms that’s slide off the coast could it not?

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Quite interesting to see  those differences in the handling of the western energy.  The GFS was on its own for this upcoming weekend event as it shifted north to where we are now before the other models...the others moved toward it slowly but surely hence all those "King GFS" posts....why do you think this period of time is different? 

first off, it's because it's been rather inconsistent, it's underdispersive, and it's outnumbered by the other two ENS

I'll put it this way... if the GEFS was the only ENS that was showing a KU setup and the GEPS/EPS were slower or less clear, I would absolutely, 100% guarantee that everyone would discount the GEFS. no question in my mind

the whole evolution it shows is also bizarre to me, and I would expect something more like the other two ENS, it just makes more sense in my head. the GEFS solution is not impossible, but I would lean more towards the EPS/GEPS considering they hold the majority and are becoming stronger in their signals, if anything. we'll see what the EPS does in a bit

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

The model King thing is so dumb lol. 

the GFS usually gets one thing right all year and then flubs as soon as there's an impactful coastal storm. I have seen it so many times

it sucked with Monday's system up here anyway so I'm not even sure what people are talking about 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the GFS usually gets one thing right all year and then flubs as soon as there's an impactful coastal storm. I have seen it so many times

it sucked with Monday's system up here anyway so I'm not even sure what people are talking about 

It picked up on more interaction with the western trough/NS energy and the resulting NW track for the March 3-4 storm first.

My only point is beyond 5 days, unless there is strong model consensus, keep expectations in check or prepare to be disappointed again… (I need to heed my own advice..). It is cool that there is some potential in the second to third week of March but it is going to be another 5 days at least before anyone can forecast a big storm with any confidence.