Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Well, we need one for any potential storm.  Cutter or snow for us

The full lat ridge NAO/GOM link that everyone says will get beat down is preventing the pattern evolution. In order to get this to work we need the energy to push thru. All season 10 day props showed hope with mirages of sw's surviving their way thru said ridging. We shall see....staying cautiously cautious for now :)

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I do worry about that ridge. But..if we get a crazy retrograding block, string phase 8 mjo which shifts the pac ridge northeast and links with the NAO block…and it still can’t win v that ridge… well you tell me?  Then what?  What exactly are we looking for?  Can’t say “it’s the pac” anymore because the pac forcing is about to become pretty neutral and combined with the blocking certainly not something you can use to blame and excuse that kind of ridge!  

So yes I am concerned the ridge wins. But I’d it does that’s the conclusion of my book right there!   

Does the MJO in 8 really help? It always seems to me that the MJO hurts us when it’s in an unfavorable phase but never seems to make much difference when in 8-1-2. 

Not sure I see it that way you guys do. I see the same BS with models dumping tons of energy in southwest that never seems to want to come east. Promotes way too much ridging ahead of it. Like I mentioned this morning. We went from 12z showing this pac energy around day 7-10 headed east much faster on yesterdays euro, to this….we’re also seeing agreement on it from the Canadian and gfs. May have to wait till 15th-20th for a storm threat if this happens…which is fine and still fits the progression date, but we’re getting closer and closer to April at that point
fc46217470df9c5d2527794eb7463884.jpg
43b72c96d78345b74a4945a054a5c93b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, blizzardmeiser said:

Does the MJO in 8 really help? It always seems to me that the MJO hurts us when it’s in an unfavorable phase but never seems to make much difference when in 8-1-2. 

Weak or brief waves into favorable phases against a hostile base state have little impact. A high amplitude wave, on the other hand typically can have more impact and can indicate a change in the base state. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Not sure I see it that way you guys do. I see the same BS with models dumping tons of energy in southwest that never seems to want to come east. Promotes way too much ridging ahead of it. Like I mentioned this morning. We went from 12z showing this pac energy around day 7-10 headed east much faster on yesterdays euro, to this….we’re also seeing agreement on it from the Canadian and gfs. May have to wait till 15th or so for a storm threat if this happens…

You are talking about the op runs

Follow the ensembles 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Not sure I see it that way you guys do. I see the same BS with models dumping tons of energy in southwest that never seems to want to come east. Promotes way too much ridging ahead of it. Like I mentioned this morning. We went from 12z showing this pac energy around day 7-10 headed east much faster on yesterdays euro, to this….we’re also seeing agreement on it from the Canadian and gfs. May have to wait till 15th or so for a storm threat if this happens…

So only 15 days away!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Heisy said:

The ridge there is more a weakness between waves and not the tropical death ridge that kills all winter that dares stand before it. Look at the temps within that ridge. Actually there are negative anomalies there in some places. Now if the energy gets stuck and just sits for days in the SW like the op euro shows that does us no favors but that’s not been how we fail all year. Storms eject they just cut way to out NW over the heat ridge.  Also I’d argue the longwave pattern in the eastern pacific and western Canada argues against that energy getting stuck. It should eject. That could fail but I don’t see it as the same fail. We can fail even in a good pattern. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

EPS looks amazing. what's the issue here? it even made positive changes compared to 00z

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-8363200.thumb.png.12a1d2b712d2a5987a726f7b80daa721.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_dprog-8363200.thumb.png.33404a3a473c39af632c3e231f405651.png

Isn't the NAO retrograding too quickly tho? I mean I know we need it to relax but this looks like it takes a one way ticket to the Aleutian ridge bridge no?

Eta: taking the same steps other windows have. Keep moving the NAO west and pumping the SER and, well, you know where any storm is headed. 

19 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i get all the skepticism and pessimism, but how can this not get you excited? this is a perfect synoptic progression on the EPS. crazy

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1677585600-1678276800-1678536000-40-1.thumb.gif.cd262dcdfa1b4487b2656eeca4988ca4.gif

I'm just playing devils advocate. Seeing too much KU and HECS talk. OK, I agree, synoptically it looks pretty darn good. But I'm tempering expectations. I'll ease off the cynicism. Let this one happen.

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm just playing devils advocate. Seeing too much KU and HECS talk. OK, I agree, synoptically it looks pretty darn good. But I'm tempering expectations. I'll ease off the cynicism. Let this one happen.

trust me, I don't believe anything like that will happen, it's far too early to say anything like that. however, it would be foolish to look at that and not acknowledge the potential there... it's certainly high end. could it go up in flames? sure, any pattern can. but the one advertised has a much lower chance of failing and a much higher chance of producing a large wintry storm

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i get all the skepticism and pessimism, but how can this not get you excited? this is a perfect synoptic progression on the EPS. crazy

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1677585600-1678276800-1678536000-40-1.thumb.gif.cd262dcdfa1b4487b2656eeca4988ca4.gif

You're probably one of my fav posters here, although you're a foreigner!  But we accept you.  You're the only Brooklyn poster welcomed and like here.....but I mean haven't we seen the perfect maps 10 days away all those other times?  This isn't at all a criticism of you...but man, 99% of us are gun shy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

What is going on. For the last 3 months I’ve been taking abuse for being a deb because I wasn’t interested in day 10 fantasy and was saying nope sorry that’s not gonna happen. 

Now I’m optimistic we might have a chance and those same people are being huge debs. WTF. 

It's because all of the optimism was used up on those other shit threats.   People have run out.  And it's no reflection on you or others who are doing long range outlooks.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

You're probably one of my fav posters here, although you're a foreigner!  But we accept you.  You're the only Brooklyn poster welcomed and like here.....but I mean haven't we seen the perfect maps 10 days away all those other times?  This isn't at all a criticism of you...but man, 99% of us are gun shy. 

See that trough developing south of AK helping to shift the Aleutian ridge northeast into AK and Canada. That’s new. 

All winter I was unenthusiastic because guidance kept underestimating the downstream impacts of the same pacific forcing. That part of the equation is finally different now. 

• Like 5