Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

26 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Who actually thinks we're gonna get a storm at this point?   Life moves on, it ain't happening.  

It's definitely going to snow. The pattern is too wet for us to miss the window. Every 3 days we get a storm/precip or something if the jet stream is going straight w->e. We have like a 5-10 day window, maybe less(3?). I'm afraid it's probably +AO/+EPO after that. 

edit: both storms fizzled out compared to what they were showing a few days on models, under the fast jet-through Canada +EPO pattern (like I thought they would- that's what happens. Models always underestimate Alaska). That's going to change/flip, so I think we are building potential energy the right way. 

• Like 1

It's definitely going to snow. The pattern is too wet for us to miss the window. Every 3 days we get a storm/precip or something if the jet stream is going straight w->e. We have like a 5-10 day window, maybe less(3?). I'm afraid it's probably +AO/+EPO after that. 
edit: both storms fizzled out compared to what they were showing a few days on models, under the fast jet-through Canada +EPO pattern (like I thought they would- that's what happens. Models always underestimate Alaska). That's going to change/flip, so I think we are building potential energy the right way. 

I’m 99.99999% sure it will not snow in the Mid Atlantic again this season.

• Weenie 4

This is the story of the winter. Good looks on ops and the ens at about days 10-12. I think it was 3-4 days ago and somebody, maybe @WxUSAFsaid they would take the 6z gfs and call it a winter. Could be wrong but somebody said that. Now, 3-4 days later, it’s trash wall to wall. This has happened all winter. Ops and ens are missing something around day 3 that is seriously affecting these good looks down the road. It’s not just the randomness of larger error as you progress in time. That’s to be expected. This is the same error over and over. I have no idea why. I just find it interesting. I wonder if errors are studied at the 3-4 range and I also wonder if there is a consistent type of error if it can be accounted for in the programming. Rambling post but just a curiosity.

BTW, I fully expect the models to reverse course and we will get a snowstorm this weekend B)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

^ Actually, that's straight HECS setup. The ridge is so big into Alaska, that normally there isn't enough variance for us to not get snow. I've seen the High jump to just the Aleutian islands maybe 1/10 times (sometimes we are the anti-snow magnet). 

Never thought I would be saying this but give me a ticket on the Chuck bus! I’m all in…

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is the story of the winter. Good looks on ops and the ens at about days 10-12. I think it was 3-4 days ago and somebody, maybe @WxUSAFsaid they would take the 6z gfs and call it a winter. Could be wrong but somebody said that. Now, 3-4 days later, it’s trash wall to wall. This has happened all winter. Ops and ens are missing something around day 3 that is seriously affecting these good looks down the road. It’s not just the randomness of larger error as you progress in time. That’s to be expected. This is the same error over and over. I have no idea why. I just find it interesting. I wonder if errors are studied at the 3-4 range and I also wonder if there is a consistent type of error if it can be accounted for in the programming. Rambling post but just a curiosity.

BTW, I fully expect the models to reverse course and we will get a snowstorm this weekend B)

It’s missing the new base state at day 3.

• Haha 1