Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are they at a higher elevation? Sheesh...this winter has to be anomaly category. I mean then we talk about things being overall warmer then we see this mess--and they're one the west coast by the dang Pacific!

First blizzard warning for SOCAL in history according to the LA Times. I dont know man. This winter is by far the worst of my lifetime. And I am old. A cold and rainy spring would just be icing on the cake as it prevents me from even getting my garden going early. Frustration level is very high. 

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are they at a higher elevation? Sheesh...this winter has to be anomaly category. I mean then we talk about things being overall warmer then we see this mess--and they're one the west coast by the dang Pacific!

'Bad Pacific' in this case refers to the massive Aleutian blocking ridge. That places a deep trough digging southward along the west coast- so they have the moisture source plus the cold draining from western Canada. And yes it's the higher elevations that get the snow, but in this pattern even places that don't normally see frozen can also get in on the action a bit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Are they at a higher elevation? Sheesh...this winter has to be anomaly category. I mean then we talk about the base you-know-what being overall warmer then we see this mess--and they're one the west coast by the dang Pacific! It's supposed to be global **** not "just warm on the EC", lol

looking at 100+ inches in the mountains just east of LA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah now I'm just a layman in weather...so this kind of thing I just can't square with the idea of a warmer base state. Wouldn't that mean warmer everywhere then...or just here? Lol

why can't you square it with a warmer-than-normal base state?  Just because it's warmer doesn't mean it's not cold enough to snow anywhere.  These are high elevation mountains.