• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

It was a day of chainsaw sounds in the air. I cannot believe how many trees and tree branches were down. I just realized my neighbor's white pine lost a huge branch on the alley side. Most ironic of all I did not lose anything, not even off of my big balsam fir which lost 3 big limbs during the January 25th snowstorm. Hehe now the city will pick them up when they get all the other branches in the alleys. Also, took some white birch limbs from a few blocks down, put them in the garage to dry out, and they make great decor pieces for fireplaces or Christmas decor. Made this ice storm work for me.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:39 PM, michsnowfreak said:

This was the worst ice storm here since 2002. Walking around this morning and hearing tree limbs crashing to the ground was crazy. Lots of tree limbs and lines down. But SO beautiful. A part of me wishes the ice would stay on the trees for tomorrow when it's cold and sunny, but another part of me realizes that would make things even worse with the wind.

wow, since 2002. Crazy. Which day of 2002? Excellent pics, although I'm sorry to hear this was so damaging. They had a couple of bits about this on the news here, and even said that upwards of 68% of Lenawee County is without power (or Hillsdale)?

17 minutes ago, Chinook said:

wow, since 2002. Crazy. Which day of 2002? Excellent pics, although I'm sorry to hear this was so damaging. They had a couple of bits about this on the news here, and even said that upwards of 68% of Lenawee County is without power (or Hillsdale)?

January 30/31, 2002 was a snow to ice storm that dropped over 9" of snow followed by very heavy freezing rain. It was an insane storm. For me this is the worst ice storm since that. I know for some of the northern suburbs they really got hit bad and April 2003. There was also a pretty big ice storm in March 1997. But the grand daddy seems to be March 1976. DTE keeps calling this the worst widespread ice storm in 50 years

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

January 30/31, 2002 was a snow to ice storm that dropped over 9" of snow followed by very heavy freezing rain. It was an insane storm. For me this is the worst ice storm since that. I know for some of the northern suburbs they really got hit bad and April 2003. There was also a pretty big ice storm in March 1997. But the grand daddy seems to be March 1976. DTE keeps calling this the worst widespread ice storm in 50 years

That 2002 storm was good in a winter that wasn't so good (outside of lake belts).  I had like 8" of snow and a decent amount of sleet with minimal freezing rain.  Believe that is the storm that ORD received 4" of snow in 1 hour.

• Like 1

Upslope enhanced snowfall from north winds going up the Minnesota river valley bluffs? :arrowhead:

I’ve said it in private before but I’m convinced there is weather control happening to keep MSP operating as normal as long as possible during snowstorms and the hole around the metro saturates from south to north. I have zero data to back that up but I will gladly wear my tinfoil hat until I can be proven otherwise. It’s either that or the urban heat island affect plays a larger role for snowstorms than I realize. No matter what, there always seems to be a hole around the metro when snow moves in.

15 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Hows @HillsdaleMIWeatherdoing? Watching the news they said 90% of the county was without power which is not good in such a rural area

I was out for about 18 hours here in a part of Hillsdale near the high school, they’ve started to get more and more the city itself up and running, as well as Jonesville. The smaller communities in Hillsdale County who are served by Consumers Power are in bad shape, their estimated restoration isn’t until March 2nd to 5th, shelters are open and I plan to go help out Monday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mnchaserguy said:

the urban heat island affect plays a larger role for snowstorms than I realize

I don’t know how much of an impact it has, or the validity, but I’ve heard urban areas create low level dry air and it take longer for storms to saturate the air column as a result. If that’s incorrect someone please correct me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I was out for about 18 hours here in a part of Hillsdale near the high school, they’ve started to get more and more the city itself up and running, as well as Jonesville. The smaller communities in Hillsdale County who are served by Consumers Power are in bad shape, their estimated restoration isn’t until March 2nd to 5th, shelters are open and I plan to go help out Monday.

Wow, I couldn’t even imagine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I don’t know how much of an impact it has, or the validity, but I’ve heard urban areas create low level dry air and it take longer for storms to saturate the air column as a result. If that’s incorrect someone please correct me. 

All else being equal, urban areas often tend to have sonewhat lower dewpoints than suburban/rural areas outside of a city, but I haven't heard of it materially delaying precip onset.  I've actually heard some cases of the opposite, with cities causing enhanced precip there and immediately downstream.  

• Like 1