• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/16/23 Winter Storm

madwx

I posted almost four hours ago I had 3.7" after some heavy bursts first thing this morning.  Well.... four hours later and I STILL have 3.7".  The snow parted like the red sea and it has struggled to reform.  No models predicted any kind of a break, let alone FOUR hours.  It's not helping that the wind is blowing already-fallen snow around the yard.  If the central Iowa snow ever gets here, I may only get another inch out of this.  What a joke.

These past few bands have produced better than expected. Still mixy, but enough flakes and coming down at enough of a clip to continue accumulating. Grass is covered, closing in on 2 inches. If you take a look at Google Maps it looks like there are wrecks all over the place once you get north of O'Hare. Glad to have skipped the office today.

image.thumb.png.fbc23f8db67f14e23a81f7870ce949ca.png

• Like 1

Got in to ORD about a half hour ago to find not only has PL dominated precip type, but the RA being reported was actually FZRA for the most part.

There's a glaze of ice on colder/elevated surfaces, and several tenths of PL accumulation.

During the morning/early afternoon before I got in, precip type has been a mix of SN/PL/FZRA/RA. Since getting in a bit ago, things have transitioned from PL/FZRA to PL to GS and now to -SN.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Got in to ORD about a half hour ago to find not only has PL dominated precip type, but the RA being reported was actually FZRA for the most part.

There's a glaze of ice on colder/elevated surfaces, and several tenths of PL accumulation.

During the morning/early afternoon before I got in, precip type has been a mix of SN/PL/FZRA/RA. Since getting in a bit ago, things have transitioned from PL/FZRA to PL to GS and now to -SN.

Interesting re: freezing rain, considering that temps at ORD were 33-34 almost the entire time.

I can think of a couple possible explanations.  Dews have remained below freezing.  The warm layer aloft around ORD also isn't that warm and there's a good cold layer underneath, as evidenced by all the sleet there.  The raindrop temps are probably pretty cold as they are hitting the surface, and colder objects/elevated are just cold enough despite 2m air temps being above freezing.

Well, I can now say that I have seen snow falling from the sky this winter. Sitting at O’Hare waiting on my 4:45 flight back south. There was nothing but rain in South Chicago at the McCormick Center, then it transitioned to sleet/snow mix the closer we got to O’Hare on I-90. It does not appear to have been any sleet mixing in for the past hour or so. Radar trends seem to indicate it’s going to cut off rather soon, though, before the deformation band swings through later tonight. I should be in the air before then, though.