• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/16/23 Winter Storm

madwx

A little tricky on the ptype forecast/placement, but there's certainly a non-zero chance that somewhere in Chicago metro gets a fair bit of icy precip in the form of sleet/zr (this may even be down to I-80).  I would assume that any freezing rain would tend to be on colder/elevated surfaces given the mild stretch that we've been in and marginal temps while that precip type is in play.

25 minutes ago, Baum said:

LOT issues a WSW for northern tier of counties. Board shrugs.

I relate to your frustration.  For me personally, it's not that exciting since it's still winter the last I checked...and any snow that falls will melt in two days.  It's fine for this to happen on 11/15 or 3/15, but not mid-Feb. And, the heaviest (while not 100% certain) will likely be north of mby.

The pattern next week could get interesting, but unfortunately we're getting to the point in the season where you really need a great pattern to continue in order to keep the snow around.

I know my reply is drenched in cynicism and pessimism, and I applaud your optimism.  But that's what years and years of horrible winters do to you.

wow!!!  thats a big number

ILZ003>005-008-150400-
/O.NEW.KLOT.WS.A.0001.230216T0900Z-230217T0300Z/
Winnebago-Boone-McHenry-Ogle-
Including the cities of Rockford, Belvidere, Crystal Lake,
Algonquin, McHenry, Woodstock, Rochelle, Oregon, and Byron
154 PM CST Tue Feb 14 2023

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
THURSDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations in excess
  of 6 inches are possible, along with some minor ice
  accumulations. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.

* WHERE...Winnebago, Boone, McHenry and Ogle Counties.

* WHEN...From late Wednesday night through Thursday evening.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slick, snow covered roads. The hazardous
  conditions are likely to impact both the morning and evening
  commutes on Thursday.

8 minutes ago, Baum said:

has always been weak and south...no? 

Somebody stop me... but I'm actually getting just a little bullish on this one especially in the northern 1/2 or so of the metro.

It appears like there will be a period of decent rates and temps may fall below 30 during that time.  This would help to counteract the recent warmth.  I could imagine advisory snowfall amounts south of where LOT currently has the watch.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Somebody stop me... but I'm actually getting just a little bullish on this one especially in the northern 1/2 or so of the metro.

It appears like there will be a period of decent rates and temps may fall below 30 during that time.  This would help to counteract the recent warmth.  I could imagine advisory snowfall amounts south of where LOT currently has the watch.

DuPage County:

THURSDAY  
RAIN, FREEZING RAIN, SNOW AND SLEET LIKELY IN THE  
MORNING, THEN SNOW, A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN IN  
THE AFTERNOON. SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. ICE  
ACCUMULATION AROUND A TRACE. BLUSTERY WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER  
30S. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. CHANCE  
OF PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.

LOT thinking same it seems. Guessing LOT/MKE didn't see eye to eye on WSW issuance. Milwaukee going 5-7 in SE Zones yet  no watch. Interesting.

GRR is thinking some higher amounts also but held off on any advisories/watches also.

Farther north...roughly north of a Grand Haven to Mount Pleasant line, we`re looking at all snow. Decent fgen was noted in the 850- 700mb layer from 18z Thursday to 00z Friday and this roughly coincides with the trowal axis. It`s certainly possible we could see 6-8 inches of snow in this area prior to the snow ending Thursday night.

3 minutes ago, Baum said:

showed quite a bit of ice i think as well.

The freezing rain accumulation map does have quite a bit, yes.  Posting that map would be a good way to freak out the general public lol.  In reality, there's no way that much ice would actually accrete because the rates are too heavy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The freezing rain accumulation map does have quite a bit, yes.  Posting that map would be a good way to freak out the general public lol.  In reality, there's no way that much ice would actually accrete because the rates are too heavy.

This past ice storm we suffered through down in south central Texas, we had 31 degree temps within a very shallow (1000 foot deep) layer of arctic air but freezing drizzle fell so hard for at least two days, that we ended up a sixteenth or two of an inch short of three quarter inch ice accretions. Many branches snapped, including one on an oak tree that was nearly a foot thick! I was out of power for 5 days. We also had a shower of moderate to heavy ZR that somehow accreted. We just couldnt buy latent heat release. 

When it rains, it pours supercooled water here in south Texas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

This past ice storm we suffered through down in south central Texas, we had 31 degree temps within a very shallow (1000 foot deep) layer of arctic air but freezing drizzle fell so hard for at least two days, that we ended up a sixteenth of two of an inch short of three quarter inch ice accretions. Many branches snapped, including one on an oak tree that was nearly a foot thick! I was out of power for 5 days. We also had a shower of moderate to heavy ZR that somehow accreted. We just couldnt buy latent heat release. 

When it rains, it pours supercooled water here in south Texas.

Different situation than what the 00z NAM is advertising.  It has like a half inch of precip in 3 hours in some areas.  A good amount of that wouldn't freeze, especially since temps are marginal.