• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12 Potential Super Sloppy Bowl fumble with low scores possible!

midatlanticweather

The NAM caved horribly. Not that the NAM really matters. But its over.

Just spent the past half hour looking at 5 day lead times on the models and added up the amount of snow Winchester would have if ANY of them were right. In the past 6 weeks at day 5 on the models Winchester has 49 inches of snow accumulation......The models are a clownshow. Just like this winter. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just spent the past half hour looking at 5 day lead times on the models and added up the amount of snow Winchester would have if ANY of them were right. In the past 6 weeks at day 5 on the models Winchester has 49 inches of snow accumulation......The models are a clownshow. Just like this winter. 

I understand the frustration but the perception the models over predict snow to that extreme is a perception bias fallacy.  Back in 2018 and 2019 I ran the numbers to see and while they do tend to over predict snow somewhat its not as much as we think. 

First of all there is the issue of a mean being bound by 0.  So lets say you take the 4 GFS runs from a day.  If one has a 10" snowstorm but the other 3 show nothing.  An average would say the GFS predicted 2.5" of snow but the reality is the GFS was saying there was a 75% chance no snow would fall.  Probabilities have to be factored into the equation since a mean is skewed by outliers, especially because 0 bounds the lower end of the calculation. 

The other factor is the perception the models show snow even when only 1 or 2 runs in a day out of like a minimum of 10 major global runs...more if you include more obscure guidance.  If one GFS and one Euro run over a course of 24 hours shows snow...that is not the guidance predicting snow.  The preponderance of evidence for that day was no snow would fall. 

When I tracked both the mean and the probabilities those winters once a week I found the mean was slightly inflated but not as much as we thought...but the probabilities were pretty good.  Usually when the probabilities of snow were above 50% it actually did snow.  The problem was those probabilities were rarely above 50% even when we percieved they were. 

Take this year for example...the probabilities for 3" of snow were never above about 30% at any time.  And the probabilities of 1" never got above about 50% at any time lol.  And the one time the 1" probabilities got to 50% is when we actually did get that little snow event where places got almost 1" lol. 

If you were just joking sorry...but some really do think the guidance is skewed towards snow but I found numerically its not as bad as we think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

You waited for the NAM to cave to say its over? Its been over. :lol::damage:

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Like winter, we really have to improve our storm threat thread making time. 

Lol Honestly, I think it oughta depend on just how the winter is going. If it's one where things have just been hostile to snow and there are no other threats or promising LR stuff to track, a thread shouldn't be necessary...But that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Stark differences in track between EURO and GFS…if we had cold air in place there would be lots of hand wringing until 12Z…WB 6Z Euro compared to GFS

791DC732-4C3F-4521-8234-9C5C8628BCD1.png

0CF7EADA-F464-419B-BB9F-47B213D5A4B7.png

Pretty big difference at 48 hours out.

I would think they get closer to each other at the noon run but who knows.

Imagine if this was actually a snow storm and the differences between the 2 major globals lol.

Edit : definitely effects the Shenandoah Valley though along the i-81 corridor further north into VA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Stark differences in track between EURO and GFS at this range…if we had cold air in place there would be lots of hand wringing until 12Z…WB 6Z GFS compared to Euro.

791DC732-4C3F-4521-8234-9C5C8628BCD1.png

0CF7EADA-F464-419B-BB9F-47B213D5A4B7.png

Oh, there is still hand wringing here out west.  Does my area get 2.5" qpf of snow, sleet, and rain like the 6Z GFS shows?  Or do we get 0.1" of qpf per the 6Z Euro?  Stark differences for these leads.

Oh, there is still hand wringing here out west.  Does my area get 2.5" qpf of snow, sleet, and rain like the 6Z GFS shows?  Or do we get 0.1" of qpf per the 6Z Euro?  Stark differences for these leads.

It’s a little interesting. I’m in Fishersville, but don’t think I can convince my girlfriend to take a sick day Monday (in-person work for her) relying on the GFS’s antics. Would need something else to come aboard

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Let's say the old weenie rule of coming north in the last 48 hours came true.  Are we basically sunk... or can we still back our way into like an inch if snow up here if the ULL were to trend closer to us in its path?

Dynamic storm, prime climo... Idgaf, I'm not giving up on it until I see it pouring rain in the deformation band. 

• Weenie 2

13 minutes ago, yoda said:

Let's say the old weenie rule of coming north in the last 48 hours came true.  Are we basically sunk... or can we still back our way into like an inch if snow up here if the ULL were to trend closer to us in its path?

Look at the North trend on the GFS over the last 2 days lol.

Probably the only areas that would have a chance with a continued north trend would be the highlands in the west.

West of - 81 and you may even need to be further west than that. Like Cumberland area. 

Even if the bowling ball continues to trend north the problem is with the approach. 

Never say never and bowling ball lows can surprise. 

Im certainly still interested  and I would think the Winchester crew would still be also. @WinterWxLuvr @clskinsfan

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh66_trend.gif

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic