Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Discobs 2023

George BM

5 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

You are a ballsy guy for sure.  Might I ask the age of you and your participants?  I’m having admiration fun with you and not At you.

What good does the firewood do?  I know you use inside tent heat but it’s not firewood.  Is this tent something g like 10 feet by 10 feet by 7 feet tall?

Thanks 

We're 42yo and the dog is 1.5yrs old.  He's the wimpiest of all of us.  Been winter backpacking since I was a kid in 4-H and convinced my wife to go snowshoe backpacking after the blizzard of December-2009 in the Otter Creek Wilderness area in WV.  

This "glamping" tent is a 13ft diameter White Duck canvas bell tent.  Normally for mountain climbing or backpacking where you have to move camp every day or course we'd use a small mountaineering tent.  This tent has a stove jack and I run a small Russian Bear Stove inside which is basically just a small aluminum wood stove.  So I need firewood for that, and also for the fire pit outside.  Stove keeps the interior of the tent about 20 degrees above ambient depending on the wind.  It's tedious to keep burning due to its small size and burns out about 2hrs after you fall asleep.  But as long as you stay in the mummy bag then you're warm.  

Today ended up a beautiful day where it appears we got above freezing and no wind.  Tomorrow looks to be near 50F and sunny but we have to pack up mid day and make the bittersweet journey back down to the coastal plain and the reality of every day life.  

PXL_20230204_220335506_copy_2016x1134.jpg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, mdhokie said:

After a low of 0 it turned out to be a perfect day out in Deep Creek. Blue skies and sunny with just a slight breeze. High of 37F @ 4:30PM. Quite the swing in temps. Wisp actually fixed their water pipe issues and made a ton of snow so it was also a good day on the slopes. 

image.thumb.png.1ef8b7ab16e0f7e666514ee3d8095f81.png

Good stuff! Cute pic of your daughter. I didn’t realize they had pipe issues. We are back next weekend hosting some friends and hope to get some skiing in. 

21 hours ago, nj2va said:

Good stuff! Cute pic of your daughter. I didn’t realize they had pipe issues. We are back next weekend hosting some friends and hope to get some skiing in. 

All season they have been fighting leaking water pipes and other mechanical issues. Apparently the new GM that was hired in 2019 is a real tightwad. Today was a 11/10 day, no lines, warm temps and sun. All trails have a good base, should make it through the warm week, so you should have fun next weekend! Make sure you purchase tickets in advance in case they sell out. 

• Like 1

Just now, pazzo83 said:

i wanna say it feels like spring, but with only brief punctuations of actual winter, we seemingly have gone from late Fall to early Spring.

I'm all in on this week.  I biked yesterday and kinda sore, but might be spotty showers around tomorrow so I may need to cave and get another session in while the iron's hot.

• Like 1

Just now, pazzo83 said:

yep - no point in it being cold if it's not gonna snow imo

Yea, though mild patterns aren't a great indication that it "will" snow lol.  I hear ya, though.  Mostly, I just need sunlight.  I really don't care for extended cloudy/chilly/windy days...imo, they just make the season drag (especially if it's not balanced out by snowstorms).

• mappy unpinned this topic