Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2023

George BM

snow photos from lower cascades today. 

Had to drive over the pass toward Portland today for a specialty vet procedure for our cat. 

I often forget how different it is on the wet side of the Cascade Range.  I live on the desert side, its colder and way sunnier here and need just the right storm track & wind direction or I get major downslope.

Nice snow pack on the "wet" side. and this is under 4000' elevation.  The really deep snows are 6,500 and up. The pass is only 4,800 feet so don't get to drive into the 6-8 foot base areas. 

Still a nice 35 mile stretch of 2-4 feet.  Snow banks pretty high in some areas. 

image.jpeg.6485e58dfdf53cf4996a179bd4cd931a.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, snownut said:

snow photos from lower cascades today. 

Had to drive over the pass toward Portland today for a specialty vet procedure for our cat. 

I often forget how different it is on the wet side of the Cascade Range.  I live on the desert side, its colder and way sunnier here and need just the right storm track & wind direction or I get major downslope.

Nice snow pack on the "wet" side. and this is under 4000' elevation.  The really deep snows are 6,500 and up. The pass is only 4,800 feet so don't get to drive into the 6-8 foot base areas. 

Still a nice 35 mile stretch of 2-4 feet.  Snow banks pretty high in some areas. 

image.jpeg.6485e58dfdf53cf4996a179bd4cd931a.jpeg

image.jpeg.0edd89dfdac9a505df9a782db0142e92.jpeg

Side note: I've heard Bend, OR is a quality mtb destination.

• Thanks 1

Palisades just getting blasted by snow and high winds. There is a HUGE drift on the 8500' level platform but it is hard to see now because that place is getting so demolished by snow.

Mammoth Lakes is another place getting ridiculously deep amounts of snow

I have lost hours and hours of time getting all engrossed in these snow vids out of Mammoth

This is just getting completely out of control in Mammoth!

• Like 3

Blizzard warning and heavy snow in Truckee.

http://tahoetopia.com/webcam/downtown-truckee

Overnight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 13. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 26. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Low around 4. West wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

17 hours ago, 87storms said:

Side note: I've heard Bend, OR is a quality mtb destination.

It's quality everything outdoor recreation here.  It's just gotten crazy expensive to live here.  Very strict high-density building laws preserve the extraordinary outdoor public wilderness recreation areas which attracted us here. That just creates continuous housing shortages and “are you kidding me” home prices. Moved here coming out of the 2008 financial crash. Could never afford to move here now. 

Palisades is shut down. Blizzard conditions with 12 degree weather along with winds 50-60mph and heavy snow has pretty much demolished the resort. ANOTHER 2-3 feet are expected thru Wed morning. Avalanche danger is high. They might have to interlodge, like Alta Utah does. There's a 5-6 foot drift on the 8200' level platform. Its gonna get bigger. Don't look now but another snow assault will crush the Palisades again come Saturday thru the following Wednesday. They picked up ~39 inches just overnight. https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

They'll eclipse the 16-17 winter when they picked up 707 inches of snow. They have about 505 inches snow, and counting in continuing heavy snow. Mammoth Lakes will probably end up with ~1200 inches on their avalanched season.

This is getting to be kind of like The Day After Tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Looks like the pacific jet will flex it's muscles again. We are about a month out from climo peak of snow cover out west. Hopefully they can build on the snowpack for out west and mitigate the summer drought/wildfire risk.

If 200% of annual snowpack in sierras doesn't mitigate that this summer, we all are well and truly effed. 

23 minutes ago, Kay said:

Slogging through my first (somehow) covid case. Fully vaxxed but still pretty steamrollered.

I had my first bout three weeks ago. What’s your medicine regiment? I had good luck with severe flu with acetaminophen every four hours and ibuprofen on top of that.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I had my first bout three weeks ago. What’s your medicine regiment? I had good luck with severe flu with acetaminophen every four hours and ibuprofen on top of that.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Ibuprofen seems to make the biggest dent....bit of cough suppressant in the first couple days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

If 200% of annual snowpack in sierras doesn't mitigate that this summer, we all are well and truly effed. 

There are several caveats to this thinking:
1.) population increase has lead to more water usage.
2.) if the snow melts off too fast, it will just wash through the surface collection systems (dams, levees, etc.)

We really need a ''normal'' spring.