Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2023

George BM

59 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

I was at Killington once at the top of one of the mountains when it was about -30F with a windchill in the -40s.  That was not fun.  The resort was shutting down lifts it was so cold.

Yea, it's "spit freezing on contact" type of cold lol.  I do remember it being a pretty cool resort, though.  Pico seemed nice, too.  Even encountered a snow squall of sorts driving through Albany (or somewhere around there).  I've been to Vail a couple times as a kid and the skiing was vast, but not nearly as cold as what I experienced that weekend in VT.

3 hours ago, mappy said:

thanks for not responding how I probably would have if that was said to me. 

It was a joke, he was posting April snow pattern maps,  and his reply was clever and funny because I replied "k" to several people yesterday.  Can't we at least have fun since its not snowing.  Why does everyone have to be miserable.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's all good. I am not bothered by whatever is said in general. I mostly post when I see a bit of an opening for something to occur in the overall crappy pattern, or hints of some favorable changes going forward. Otherwise I just tune out and do other things. The constant gloom/doom and perpetual analysis of the 'bad' is fatiguing lol.

I don't have an issue with your posts...your keeping hope alive posts are great.  You are always clear that these are long shots at small events.  You aren't hyping anything.  Its good stuff.  And you don't get emotional.  I was just replying to your post because it was articulating this theme that we need to change the tone.  No we need to change the pattern.  The tone sucks because the pattern sucks.  We can start 500 threads and name them whatever but so long as we are stuck in this pattern the results will be the same.  I was agreeing with you on that.  

ETA: I have only posted a couple times about tangible threats because honestly there has rarely been anything that imo elevated itself to a legit high probability threat at significant snow.  But everyone has a different threshold.  You're more willing to break down something that, for example, has a 20% chance at giving someone 1-3".  That doesn't really rise to the level I am willing to dig deep into and write up analysis.  Frankly in a normal year we wouldn't even bother wasting time on that.  But I get it...we're starving so take the crumbs.  I have no problem with anyone that want's to focus on any little spec of hope we have.  Maybe one of these actually works out.  That's often how we get snow in a crap year...getting lucky with some longshot mediocre at best setup.  I just don't have it in me to get excited by them.  I am more interested in analyzing why we're stuck in this god awful long term cycle and looking for signs we are breaking out of it, not just hunting the crumbs within the drought.  I am hunting when we finally break out of it in a big way.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't have an issue with your posts...your keeping hope alive posts are great.  You are always clear that these are long shots at small events.  You aren't hyping anything.  Its good stuff.  And you don't get emotional.  I was just replying to your post because it was articulating this theme that we need to change the tone.  No we need to change the pattern.  The tone sucks because the pattern sucks.  We can start 500 threads and name them whatever but so long as we are stuck in this pattern the results will be the same.  I was agreeing with you on that.  

ETA: I have only posted a couple times about tangible threats because honestly there has rarely been anything that imo elevated itself to a legit high probability threat at significant snow.  But everyone has a different threshold.  You're more willing to break down something that, for example, has a 20% chance at giving someone 1-3".  That doesn't really rise to the level I am willing to dig deep into and write up analysis.  Frankly in a normal year we wouldn't even bother wasting time on that.  But I get it...we're starving so take the crumbs.  I have no problem with anyone that want's to focus on any little spec of hope we have.  Maybe one of these actually works out.  That's often how we get snow in a crap year...getting lucky with some longshot mediocre at best setup.  I just don't have it in me to get excited by them.  I am more interested in analyzing why we're stuck in this god awful long term cycle and looking for signs we are breaking out of it, not just hunting the crumbs within the drought.  I am hunting when we finally break out of it in a big way.  

I just think there is bit too much redundancy/overlap between the medium/LR thread and the thread you created for analyzing the 'why' it isn't snowing lately. The doom and gloom is typical given the winter we have had to this point, but the combination tends to overwhelm the LR thread, esp after each "bad" op run cycle. Sometimes reading through the thread at those times it's like fuck, how about just NOT posting anything lol. That's not directed at you btw.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 1

How about a Mt. Washington hike?

Tonight
Snow showers likely, mainly after 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -26. Wind chill values as low as -60. Very windy, with a west wind 55 to 65 mph increasing to 65 to 75 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 95 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Friday
Partly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -39 by 5pm. Very windy, with a northwest wind around 85 mph, with gusts as high as 105 mph.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -42. Wind chill values as low as -100. Very windy, with a northwest wind 85 to 95 mph, with gusts as high as 120 mph.
Saturday
Sunny and cold, with a high near -8. Very windy, with a northwest wind 95 to 105 mph decreasing to 80 to 90 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 130 mph.
  • Like 1