Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

17 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Can't wait till we get a nino that fails and we have to hear all about how ninos suck.

Eventually we will just have to say the MA sucks because there will be nothing else to blame it on.  Not sure we suck as bad as this year has been however.  I’d like to step down to full suckage.  

9 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

One thing I do like about the setup inside D8 is the expected tight thermal gradient running west-east within our neck of the woods. The airmass that will prime the environment will be pretty solid and the globals this far out see the chance for winter precip is a positive, and they are likely not cold enough given the origin of the cold. The hope is to maintain a strong baroclinic zone within the confines of VA in order to capitalize on both the ascent from the shortwave and the cold layer through the boundary layer. We have scored with far worse. Not sure we'll be getting insane amounts of snow in the setup, but it could deliver an advisory level to perhaps low end warning if every chip fell into place. It's the best setup I've seen for the area in a while, so it'll be cool to track since I'll be back home around that time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Most of us here would love a solid advisory to warning level event (doesn't have to be some prolific HECS!), and a couple of nice, wintry feeling days even in early March, at this point.  I'd look at it like that event we got around March 14 or 15 last year.  Warm leading in, but we got one cold, brisk, snowy day with advisory level snow which was pretty cool.  Of course after a couple of days it was gone and we warmed up again, but it was fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Most of us here would love a solid advisory to warning level event (doesn't have to be some prolific HECS!), and a couple of nice, wintry feeling days even in early March, at this point.  I'd look at it like that event we got around March 14 or 15 last year.  Warm leading in, but we got one cold, brisk, snowy day with advisory level snow which was pretty cool.  Of course after a couple of days it was gone and we warmed up again, but it was fun!

I like quick hitters in the late winter time frame. I do get the itch by mid-March for warmer weather, so any shot of snow followed by warming up is always fine in my book! I'd love to come home and see some snow to make it feel like home in the winter! 

• Like 6

Many of the shutout years in the data set are followed by climo or climo+ seasons.  I guess there are exceptions to everything but at this point I would think we are better off without any attempt at recovering this year.  It does seem like the shutout years are at least as common as the blockbuster years and we’re clearly overdue for a good one.

7 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

retrograding ridge is now showing up on the mean. nice to see

again, most of the members with a SE ridge don't have the blocking at all or they keep it east-based and over Iceland. the vast majority of members with a legit central/west-based -NAO have the typical 50/50 response

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1676635200-1677499200-1678017600-20-2.thumb.gif.4d2fdfdab57ee682e42e09d936dc5c5c.gif

I’ve said all winter our best chance was likely March.  The shorter wavelengths make it easier to offset the pacific pattern which just won’t quit. So I’m not gonna completely dismiss this. Im just not going into its happening mode until I see it inside day 7 and no SER on the means. We’re moving the right direction I’m just being reserved for now.  

But if we’re really lucky maybe we get another super late season block like March 2001 or 2013. 

39 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’d take the 6z gfs in a hot minute

I know @CAPE says it's not happening,  but this setup is the only way we will score this year with the crud PAC and SER still in tact. Might not end up clean hits, but with the NAO forcing lower heights to squeeze underneath and waves rolling over the SER with tighter wavelengths in-between, I'm growing increasingly confident  that one of these 3 or 4 systems being depicted will put down a blanket of white. Backloaded was always the way things would play out given the longwave pattern (Nina).

Eta: First threat 6.5 days out. Probably rushed and might not be the one, but the signal is there.

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I know @CAPE says it's not happening,  but this setup is the only way we will score this year with the crud PAC and SER still in tact. Might not end up clean hits, but with the NAO forcing lower heights to squeeze underneath and waves rolling over the SER with tighter wavelengths in-between, I'm growing increasingly confident  that one of these 3 or 4 systems being depicted will put down a blanket of white. Backloaded was always the way things would play out given the longwave pattern (Nina).

Eta: First threat 6.5 days out. Probably rushed and might not be the one, but the signal is there.

Euro and GGEM are both north with the D7 storm:raining:

45 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Again, I think the GFS is rushing the NAO and more likely we are turning the calendar page when we score. Ens means a few days later on the better looks.

There’s good reasons to think a stout -NAO will develop at some time with SSW downwelling support. Shorter wavelengths would help mute a hostile Pac longwave configuration, but until it happens, I won’t trust it given persistence. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

If you are talking about the 25-26th, there has been a weak signal for some frozen on the means. I have made a few posts about it. As for whether it happens or not, who knows. GFS op has been consistently hinting, but the GEFS and EPS suggest the better chance is further north(shocker), which is probably how it will go. CMC ens is a bit better for our region. It's highly uncertain how much cold will be available for that period, but has the general look of some sort of frozen front end favoring places inland at elevation for our region. Probably a better chance of something the first few days of March based on the depicted pattern progression.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

If you are talking about the 25-26th, there has been a weak signal for some frozen on the means. I have made a few posts about it. As for whether it happens or not, who knows. GFS op has been consistently hinting, but the GEFS and EPS suggest the better chance is further north(shocker), which is probably how it will go. CMC ens is a bit better for our region. It's highly uncertain how much cold will be available for that period, but has the general look of some sort of frozen front end favoring places inland at elevation for our region. Probably a better chance of something the first few days of March based on the depicted pattern progression.

Thread? :lightning:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

There’s good reasons to think a stout -NAO will develop at some time with SSW downwelling support. Shorter wavelengths would help mute a hostile Pac longwave configuration, but until it happens, I won’t trust it given persistence. 

I'm not super enthused despite seeing the -NAO on guidance. We will see if the shorter wavelengths help going forward, but that Aleutian ridge is just locked in and doesn't seem to want to nudge eastward even a little bit. We probably will need a monster west-based block for a time to get a few legit shots. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

My thoughts are similar wrt the better opportunity a few days later. I mentioned this in a few posts earlier, the GFS is notorious for rushing things usually by 3-5 days. We'll have to see what happens with next weekend before jumping into the calendar flip period. 

• mappy unpinned this topic