Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So now the question is is that (Aleutian ridge) just random bad luck, or is it....base? Lol

That is a feature of a Nina, but the character/orientation can be different, and like last winter it can wax and wane and shift eastward/poleward at times. Probably Nina, PDO, and TNH pattern combining to screw us over this winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a change, normal temperatures predicted for week 3-4 - help from MJO especially to our north with SSW a wildcard

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

Realtime Multivariate MJO (RMM) index indicated slow eastward propagation during February, and though earlier forecasts showed a potential weakening of the MJO in late February, extended runs from the ECMWF model depict re-emergence of the signal into March (Phases 7 and 8), though ensemble spread is large. Influences from both La Niña and MJO were considered in the Week 3-4 Outlooks. A SSW recently began which can manifest at the surface as a negative AO, however the SSW does not yet have a clear impact on the troposphere and forecasts of the AO from the GEFS and ECMWF models remain positive with considerable spread. Evolution of the SSW remains uncertain and influence from the SSW is not strongly considered.

Probability of below normal temperatures is depicted over New England as the majority of dynamical models indicate troughing and below normal temperature probabilities, but are slightly weakened due to the warmer CFS solution beneath forecasted Eastern U.S. ridging. Above normal temperature probabilities are indicated over much of the Southeast U.S. beneath favored 500 hPa ridging and where models have good consistency, though probabilities are damped on the northern edge given possible below normal temperatures related to the MJO as seen in the MLR tool. Equal Chances (EC) of above and below normal temperatures stretches across the middle of the CONUS from the Southwest to the Mid-Atlantic

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

While I'm not into gardening (though I may try it at some point), I wouldn't trust this climo. Man I can see a cold March snap-back damaging buds, lol

March 21, 2018 we got several inches of snow after some things started blooming.  Here's snow on cherry blossoms from that event.

Snow_2018Mar21_17.thumb.JPG.f70ead561d05ebf7832fc11aaeafd52f.JPG

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, CAPE said:

lol you are so addicted to the damn snow maps.

True, but I have been posting other kinds of maps too…. There are some some key differences within upcoming window, the strat. warm, some signs of a favorable MJO, and a negative NAO and WPO.  If we get the PNA to get out of record low territory and a little luck we could get a crocus crushing event.

One thing I do like about the setup inside D8 is the expected tight thermal gradient running west-east within our neck of the woods. The airmass that will prime the environment will be pretty solid and the globals this far out see the chance for winter precip is a positive, and they are likely not cold enough given the origin of the cold. The hope is to maintain a strong baroclinic zone within the confines of VA in order to capitalize on both the ascent from the shortwave and the cold layer through the boundary layer. We have scored with far worse. Not sure we'll be getting insane amounts of snow in the setup, but it could deliver an advisory level to perhaps low end warning if every chip fell into place. It's the best setup I've seen for the area in a while, so it'll be cool to track since I'll be back home around that time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

One thing I do like about the setup inside D8 is the expected tight thermal gradient running west-east within our neck of the woods. The airmass that will prime the environment will be pretty solid and the globals this far out see the chance for winter precip is a positive, and they are likely not cold enough given the origin of the cold. The hope is to maintain a strong baroclinic zone within the confines of VA in order to capitalize on both the ascent from the shortwave and the cold layer through the boundary layer. We have scored with far worse. Not sure we'll be getting insane amounts of snow in the setup, but it could deliver an advisory level to perhaps low end warning if every chip fell into place. It's the best setup I've seen for the area in a while, so it'll be cool to track since I'll be back home around that time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

You do realize that if we get frozen while you're here, we can't let you leave, right? :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

True, but I have been posting other kinds of maps too…. There are some some key differences within upcoming window, the strat. warm, some signs of a favorable MJO, and a negative NAO and WPO.  If we get the PNA to get out of record low territory and a little luck we could get a crocus crushing event.

Just effin with ya.

Not a big believer in the SSW impacts, but once in awhile it works out. Getting late though. The SPV will be naturally weakening anyway as we move through March, so I am skeptical this does much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• mappy unpinned this topic