Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

it’ll make its own cold air? emoji51.png

this is probably the only time I will ever say something like that is possible. but yes, if you do have that strong of a closed low, dynamic cooling does occur. it's not voodoo or anything

like this is a sounding from NC where the GFS drops 6-10". that's more than cold enough and that's in the Carolinas. cutoffs do really weird crap

so yes, I would absolutely take my chances with a ULL like that. the amped solutions are what everyone should be rooting for, because there is a 0% chance with a washed out POS

download.thumb.png.77b97b82fe7d90638a7e79f83629556f.png

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is probably the only time I will ever say something like that is possible. but yes, if you do have that strong of a closed low, dynamic cooling does occur. it's not voodoo or anything

like this is a sounding from NC where the GFS drops 6-10". that's more than cold enough and that's in the Carolinas. cutoffs do really weird crap

so yes, I would absolutely take my chances with a ULL like that. the amped solutions are what everyone should be rooting for, because there is a 0% chance with a washed out POS

download.thumb.png.77b97b82fe7d90638a7e79f83629556f.png

Would have been fun having forums around for Feb 21, 1987.  I know via the KU book (which I did purchase because snowstorms...) that was a bombogenesis type of event with fringe temps and ended up being an absolute paste job for the DMV.  I'll never forget seeing the size of the flakes out my window (at night).  It can happen (kinda like Commutageddon), but pretty uncommon. 

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

Thanks for the response, and I 1000% agree. Just don't want to end up relying on too many weenie rules at once. North trend from the Carolinas and dynamic cooling are already 2... don't know how many more we can handle

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Thanks for the response, and I 1000% agree. Just don't want to end up relying on too many weenie rules at once. North trend from the Carolinas and dynamic cooling are already 2... don't know how many more we can handle

trust me, everyone should understand that this is a low-probability event due to a lack of blocking and no arctic air and blah blah blah. but it's nice to have something to track regardless... this certainly bears some watching

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Blizzard Hunter said:

This idea that it will only snow in a perfect setup is stretching things. It just improves our odds. If a dynamic system forms to our south, then all bets are off. Do I think such a storm will develop? I don't think so. However, if models keep showing one developing, we need to pay attention. 

Why does everything have to be extremes?  When someone say's they don't think it will work that does not mean it has no chance at all.  There is always a chance.  But its about probabilities.  We don't forecast based on "maybe if we win the lottery of weather".  Look at the preponderance of evidence.  The only solutions that show snow each run are the most extreme solutions.  The fringe outliers.  It's been that way for days with this threat.  It was one run of the ICON, then one euro run got kinda close...there was on CMC run a few days ago and more recently the GFS op.  Within the ensembles there are like a few members showing snow.  The vast majority of evidence says it won't snow.  Maybe because the track isn't good (12z GFS/CMC) or maybe the track ends up perfect but its still too warm (UKMET and a few Euro runs).  But if you add up all the possible fails (not perfect track, too warm, H5 isn't amplified enough) the probability it doesn't work is way higher than if it does.  That's not saying it cant work out...its just making astute observations of the situation.  

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

that is a possibility, but the UKMET has been known to have absolutely horrific thermals. I would take my chances with a dynamic solution like this

500hv.conus.thumb.png.4480cd4cff50ea37fd286031d47217ab.png

Of course we want that, its the only way we have any chance at all... but we've seen way too many near perfect track rain solutions over the last few days on this to just ignore that with a "give me that track and it will work out" attitude.  It could work out...or it could be too warm.  Add in that we might not even get the perfect track and an amplified enough h5 cut off and the odds still greatly favor this not working out.  That's all the "debs" are saying imo.  Not that it has no chance, and not that it will never snow again.  

Ill run the probabilities for anyone interested once all the ensembles come in.  

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why does everything have to be extremes?  When someone say's they don't think it will work that does not mean it has no chance at all.  There is always a chance.  But its about probabilities.  We don't forecast based on "maybe if we win the lottery of weather".  Look at the preponderance of evidence.  The only solutions that show snow each run are the most extreme solutions.  The fringe outliers.  It's been that way for days with this threat.  It was one run of the ICON, then one euro run got kinda close...there was on CMC run a few days ago and more recently the GFS op.  Within the ensembles there are like a few members showing snow.  The vast majority of evidence says it won't snow.  Maybe because the track isn't good (12z GFS/CMC) or maybe the track ends up perfect but its still too warm (UKMET and a few Euro runs).  But if you add up all the possible fails (not perfect track, too warm, H5 isn't amplified enough) the probability it doesn't work is way higher than if it does.  That's not saying it cant work out...its just making astute observations of the situation.  

Of course we want that, its the only way we have any chance at all... but we've seen way too many near perfect track rain solutions over the last few days on this to just ignore that with a "give me that track and it will work out" attitude.  It could work out...or it could be too warm.  Add in that we might not even get the perfect track and an amplified enough h5 cut off and the odds still greatly favor this not working out.  That's all the "debs" are saying imo.  Not that it has no chance, and not that it will never snow again.  

Ill run the probabilities for anyone interested once all the ensembles come in.  

I appreciate your post, but I don't understand why it is directed at me? I was not the one who said there was no chance of anything working out. I was arguing that a Dynamic system changes the rules a bit. 

-What triggered my response to the other gentleman was he made it seem like there was no chance. Perhaps I misunderstood, but that is why I responded. 

2 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Well, strap in and prepare yourselves.  PBP incoming.  Tamp down the excitement.  Maybe I'll finally get to Jaws it up.  I admit, I'm interested with 3 runs in a row.  Have we even had 3 runs in a row showing the same thing or similar when it comes to a storm for us?

If they are trying for something closer to an A type off the coast then they zero in better then all the components of a far  trickier  phase job B 

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Doing side by side comparisons between GFS and Euro and they are remarkable consistent thru hour 60..  The relevant time period is after 90 or so hour

the ECMWF is even the strongest of the 3 major models with the S/W. the CMC is the weakest... I would imagine that the strength even at 60 makes a big difference. doubt it's as flat as the CMC at this range tho

• Like 2

• mappy unpinned this topic