Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

the GFS has a pretty exotic evolution... it amplifies the trailing energy to the point that it cuts off from the flow and crushes the MA. wouldn't say that this is impossible, but I obviously want to see other models see this kind of thing

definitely caught me off guard though. was NOT expecting to see this

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh96-144.thumb.gif.5d87767a1532d0a29fb9bc9504c51aad.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_23.thumb.png.ae4e2d37fd0dbb894f9351b0db507466.png

Yeah I'm not quite sure how or why the GFS is doing that.  It digs that damned wave so much that it cuts off as you say.  And it's incredibly sharp as it does so.  Literally would be like a snow bomb as depicted.  Exotic indeed.

Well, upon looking just a bit more at that loop you show, seems like the trough in the west which digs down past AZ might actually be causing or assisting the one to the east on the other side of the ridge to do what it does?  Maybe pumps that ridge just enough so that the downstream trough in the east can cut off?

57 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why you teasing them?  Lol. This is why Ive been so confident we’re screwed all winter. The status quo temp profile is so warm that even on runs when almost everything goes perfect it’s still rain. Euro barely gives me like 2” of slop up here on a run with a perfect everything that should be a 6”+ easy.  

The only times we’ve been cold enough all winter was twice when a tpv was cruising by just to our north. But good luck getting something to work in that kind of flow. 

I think that’s one part some aren’t getting. If the temp profile is so atrocious that the only way to be cold enough is to have a tpv or some ridiculed amount of confluence right on top of us…ya ok. That’s not gonna work. We need to be cold enough when those features are actually further away giving waves room to amplify. 

Well, the gfs just gave you 6+" with everything working out perfectly. So I guess it's not completely impossible for people with elevation. I know we're screwed regardless in the lowlands but hoping you can get a nice event at some point before middle of march. 

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Bob Chill's bowling ball handbook says 'all aboard' - choo chooo :tomato:

But Chill never said "exotic"!!  OK...first dibs on a name here for any potential thread if this stupid thing materializes...We'll call it the "Exotic Storm."  With all due credit and hat tip to @brooklynwx99 of course! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been keeping tabs on the forum from afar in Japan, albeit with a shared feeling of despair.  Returning to the WMA Saturday.  Anything on Sunday would be the best welcome home present ever (since 09/10 after returning from Thailand), even snow TV would be fine.  

BTW - the big snow dumps a month ago on Honshu largely evaporated the last couple of weeks.  Even Fuji is nearly void of snow now except in the deeper gullies.  Very unusual for this time of year.  The attached picture was taken Monday Japan time from the Shinkansen.  

Fujisan 2023 02 06.jpeg

• Like 16

Hell of a signal on the GEFS. :yikes:

I wouldn’t have expected every ensemble member to jump on this solution. There are def a few that have a similar progression though and I’d say the mean at least trended towards stretching the trough out and allowing a potential new low to form at base. Long shot but only thing worth tracking it seems for a while so…

1 minute ago, Heisy said:

I wouldn’t have expected every ensemble member to jump on this solution. There are def a few that have a similar progression though and I’d say the mean at least trended towards stretching the trough out and allowing a potential new low to form at base. Long shot but only thing worth tracking it seems for a while so…

It's a long shot. You got that part right.

Head to the western highlands if you want a legit shot at a white SB Sunday. That has consistently been the signal for this period on the means. Nothing has changed.

This being said I’m not getting even a little bit excited unless we see 2-3 runs in a row and some other support.

2 hours ago, Heisy said:

Uhhh….. major changes on 18z gfs. Looks like icon, stronger version of 12z euro
768071603e78b1aec5a35063b680bdec.jpg

This isn’t me trying to be a Deb but I honestly don’t see the 18z Gfs as the win you do.  I see a lot of the same WTF BS I’ve been taking notes for my book a lot lately.   Let me explain.  

First if all look at what the synoptic setup is BEFORE the run goes kinda crazy and pops out a once a decade solution. 
50BB64AC-FA79-43E7-AAA6-BD5E282880A3.thumb.jpeg.cb152b4643100ddecf94d144b0d6b00d.jpeg

look ANOTHER mid latitude system with no WAA snow associated with it to the north and northeast of the system. 

Then it does this…

D7CA9317-5FFF-496F-9109-4DD8B7450CAF.thumb.gif.732a1cbc53f864957841100502a8bab0.gif

Ya ok…sure. Be honest what’s the odds that happens?  That’s a 1/10 years type anomaly there.   And even with that look at this BS 

808E30AE-5F97-4B8C-B817-AE9729849D76.thumb.jpeg.5a060293791bf439f7e37a87e75f9086.jpeg

even with an amplifying system with a once a decade anomalous cutoff upper low slowly tracking under us it’s barely cold enough with rain mixing in all through the CCB.  

Ya it snows.  And I can see why at a glance that looks like a W run. But what I see is it taking a ridiculous probably not gonna happen once a decade type progression to get snow and even still it’s like 4” in DC from what should be a MECS setup given the Synoptics and time of year. I don’t think that’s being pessimistic it’s just being realistic. 

Sure that as shown there could happen.  It’s very unlikely but not impossible.  Eventually we will luck into some crazy anomaly.   And if it does I’ll get excited at some point.  But in the larger scheme if that’s what it takes to snow we’re still screwed.  That’s the kind of crazy anomalous progression places like Raleigh NC should need to get snow not here. 

Sorry if that’s too much of a downer after a “good” run but that’s how I see it. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This isn’t me trying to be a Deb but I honestly don’t see the 18z Gfs as the win you do.  I see a lot of the same WTF BS I’ve been taking notes for my book a lot lately.   Let me explain.  

First if all look at what the synoptic setup is BEFORE the run goes kinda crazy and pops out a once a decade solution. 
50BB64AC-FA79-43E7-AAA6-BD5E282880A3.thumb.jpeg.cb152b4643100ddecf94d144b0d6b00d.jpeg

look ANOTHER mid latitude system with no WAA snow associated with it to the north and northeast of the system. 

Then it does this…

D7CA9317-5FFF-496F-9109-4DD8B7450CAF.thumb.gif.732a1cbc53f864957841100502a8bab0.gif

Ya ok…sure. Be honest what’s the odds that happens?  That’s a 1/10 years type anomaly there.   And even with that look at this BS 

808E30AE-5F97-4B8C-B817-AE9729849D76.thumb.jpeg.5a060293791bf439f7e37a87e75f9086.jpeg

even with an amplifying system with a once a decade anomalous cutoff upper low slowly tracking under us it’s barely cold enough with rain moving in all through the CCB.  

Ya it snows.  And I can see why at a glance that looks like a W run. But what I see is it taking a ridiculous probably not gonna happen once a decade type progression to get snow and even still it’s like 4” in DC from what should be a MECS setup given the Synoptics and time of year. I don’t think that’s being pessimistic it’s just being realistic. 

Sure that as shown there could happen.  It’s very unlikely but not impossible.  Eventually we will luck into some crazy anomaly.   And if it does I’ll get excited at some point.  But in the larger scheme if that’s what it takes to snow we’re still screwed.  That’s the kind of crazy anomalous progression places like Raleigh NC should need to get snow not here. 

Sorry if that’s too much of a downer after a “good” run but that’s how I see it. 

Not trying to make synoptic comparisons but did we luck into 2/12/2006? I remember that being a crappy winter and then that storm comes out of nowhere seemingly as I think the Japanese model showed it happening.

1 hour ago, MD Snow said:

Well, the gfs just gave you 6+" with everything working out perfectly. So I guess it's not completely impossible for people with elevation. I know we're screwed regardless in the lowlands but hoping you can get a nice event at some point before middle of march. 

Of course it’s not impossible. But my last post explained why it didnt leave me feeling too optimistic 

10 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

Not trying to make synoptic comparisons but did we luck into 2/12/2006? I remember that being a crappy winter and then that storm comes out of nowhere seemingly as I think the Japanese model showed it happening.

That’s not the worst comp ever. But I didn’t say it’s impossible. I estimated it as a once a decade type anomaly so going back to something from over 15 years ago doesn’t really refute the point that it’s a very rare unlikely type event. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Then it does this…

even with an amplifying system with a once a decade anomalous cutoff upper low slowly tracking under us it’s barely cold enough with rain mixing in all through the CCB.  

350.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Then it does this…

It's such a shit pattern. I'm amazed that any model shows any snow on the east coast what so ever. But the Euro did Also try on the 12z run. And the icon also tried.  Here are 850 anomalies the day before and the day after the GFS shows our snow storm lol

It's amazing any model would show snow with this shit show of an air mass going on.

gfs_T850a_us_18.png

gfs_T850a_us_27.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

It's such a shit pattern. I'm amazed that any model shows any snow on the east coast what so ever. But the Euro did Also try on the 12z run. And the icon also tried.  Here are 850 anomalies the day before and the day after the GFS shows our snow storm lol

It's amazing any model would show snow with this shit show of an air mass going on.

gfs_T850a_us_18.png

gfs_T850a_us_27.png

What kind of an air pattern:lol:

• mappy unpinned this topic