• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Snow/Sleet/Misery Obs & Disco

NorthArlington101

To the naked eye on my cell phone, the main driver of the differences between models / individual runs doesn’t seem to be track. All of the models show something pretty similar in that regard. The difference seems to be whether or not the low is more or less organized and whether the wave gets torn apart by the Apps.

The solutions with a more organized wave have a more mature precip shield. Snow is definitely heavier and the extent of the precip shield is further north. CMC HRR ICON all look pretty decent for CMD and points S and E.

The latest HRRR adjusted north with the precip shield, but the track itself remained pretty identical. 2-4 hours of heavy snow for the DC - BAL corridor per the HRRR would leave a lot of folks smiling - minor event or not.

Would be really nice to see us come out on the winning side of a potential wave, even if it’s not a biggie. Loss after loss after loss when you’re tracking is just as depressing than the lack of snow itself.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

The solutions with a more organized wave have a more mature precip shield. Snow is definitely heavier and the extent of the precip shield is further north. CMC HRR ICON all look pretty decent for CMD and points S and E.

Hedging my bets on the NAVGEM. Snow is going to last until tomorrow afternoon.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

18z RGEM is gonna be a substantial bump up from its recent runs looking at the quick CMC maps. Waiting for better graphics but it looks like a 6hr storm at DCA with 3 good hours in there.

Don't think its back to where it was a 24+ hours ago, but I'm interested

Guess I will have to stay up late.  Hate that but

1 minute ago, DarkSharkWX said:

we alr have a general idea of what's going to happen, C-0.5" for most people and maybe up to an inch in isolated spots if a band of heavy snow forms. atp models in general, esp globals/ensembles aren't useful and its just better to watch and nowcast

This is 100% true but it won't stop me from analyzing every 15m interval on the HRRR.

Don't look now but the 20z is substantially jucier into VA. 

20z

1675231200-hNlVIuqn6QQ.png

19z

1675231200-UQH4qyWQ0Wg.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

You know we are desperate when we are comparing HRRR to radar, in Arkansas. 

Lancaster PA peep who is in Arkansas this week for work - forecast for here was light freezing rain mixed with sleet this afternoon, result has been heavy sleet with several rounds of lightning and thunder. NWS Little Rock acknowledging that this wave has significantly overperformed for both amounts and obviously, impacts.

Hopefully that translates well further NE of here. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic