• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

calibrating an instrument that is used to measure to the tenths to +2/-2 is ridiculous. i know nothing about weather instruments, but know a little about scientific instruments, and can say for certain that that standard is just wrong. it should be like +0.5/-0.5 at worst.

not to mention how much a 2.0 degree error can skew the whole CC argument one way or the other.

• Like 2

Well the good news is that we have a collection of sites surrounding ASOS that get incorporated into the whole picture. So from a regional and beyond point of view...a much larger sample size.

But from a major climo place where the records are heavily talked about and displayed...it is disappointing to not have good data. I don't care if it's too warm or too cold, it's still aggravating to have it go astray.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well the good news is that we have a collection of sites surrounding ASOS that get incorporated into the whole picture. So from a regional and beyond point of view...a much larger sample size.

But from a major climo place where the records are heavily talked about and displayed...it is disappo9ining to not have good data. I don't care if it's too warm or too cold, it's still aggravating to have it go astray.

Yeah I'm not worried about bad data for things like temp trends on the entire country or even regions....but you start getting incorrect data on places like BOS and ORH, that is not good. You could corrupt state-level data with stations like that in small states like MA.

Data is really only useful if it's accurate.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

when the headline is "xx city had the warmest month on record!!!"  that's the problem I am talking about because it is due to bad data 

Yeah I agree. Conversely, a record that may have happened if temperature sensor was accurate might not be recorded with a flawed temperature sensor. (i.e., if BOS was still running 2-3F warm, they wouldn't have recorded their coldest temp since 1957 even though it actually was the coldest since 1957 in reality)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

All sheet rock 4 feet up around the entire building has to be replaced. Rugs and floors ripped out and to be replaced. Ceilings in portions ripped out and replaced. Doors swelled from water, now don’t close or fit, to be replaced.

extensive damage 

??

Work for Commuter rail. The amount of issues on Saturday morning were like nothing the infrastructure has ever seen before. Multiple signals just stopped working, hundreds of frozen switches, crossing gates not operating and the worst of them all- broken rails everywhere. About 75% of service on Saturday had to be canceled or had severe delays (more than 30min late). Afternoon improved as issues were fixed and things stated thawing (being able to operate in regular cold) but there were residual issue until Monday morning. 
Waaaay more problematic than a snowstorm/blizzard or any type of record heat.  
Truly a once in a generation event 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, ORH_wxman said:

So the PWM one was also not legit…it was running about 2F warmer than it should? Did it get fixed? Or was it some local siting fluke?

The BOS one was clearly not legit but it will look legit to anyone who casually glances at the data without any other context. That’s the unfortunate part. But only sickos like us who scrutinize the data will know the truth. I remember the month was warm…but it was absolutely not that close to being record warmth. Prob more like between top 10-20 type month based on surrounding sites. 

I can't remember, I think we replaced it. But now that I look back at the data it seems to do some weird stuff in July every year. So there might be a local siting issue.

wxsitequal.pl?site=KPWM&days=1825&sensor

And for those unaware the +/- 2 degree tolerance is because ASOS is just an aviation tool. It's not really meant for precision measurement of temps. If the airlines all of a sudden required temps to be within a half degree, then that would become the new ASOS tolerance level. But since they don't care, we're left with that wide range.

• Like 1