• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

39 minutes ago, mreaves said:

The KMPV reading of -13 sticks out like a sore thumb.  I had -21 and I'm not that far away.

Do they have a messed up sensor too? That looks extremely egregious. You’d think in 2023 we could avoid shitty temp sensors that go into official climate data. 

edit: just saw dendrites post

• Like 1

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I heard they did hit -40F and was a record.  Might be that same thing though.

Yes, Whiteface verified...  quote from local paper:   (Our Camp at 1850 feet just to the north of Whiteface touched -30F.  Was -27F still at 8 AM, warmed quickly after) 

The summit of Whiteface Mountain fell to minus 40.2 degrees Fahrenheit at about 3 a.m. Saturday, setting the record for the coldest recorded temperature there.

“That speaks to the cold front and how dense the air is. It’s just an abnormally cold air mass that goes pretty deep up into the atmosphere,” said Scott McKim, science manager at the Whiteface Mountain field station of the University at Albany’s Atmospheric Sciences Research Center.

The station recorded the previous record, minus 38.9 degrees Fahrenheit, overnight on Valentine’s Day in February 2016. The center has operated the Whiteface weather station at the summit since the 1940s. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

Many calls all night and all day around here for burst pipes, Fire departments getting sprinkler alarm calls constantly.

Wait until it warms up and those sprinkler systems start  blowing. Man I so so don't miss those days. Over the years 94 04 18 had some spectacular failures at work.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I guess I’m not sure what this means. 

Red is the analysis temp by MADIS of what was expected for MPV the last 36 hours. They’re running solidly 5-10° warm there. I see no reason why they should stray so far from their analysis temp given their geography and the strong CAA/mixing we had. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Red is the analysis temp by MADIS of what was expected for MPV the last 36 hours. They’re running solidly 5-10° warm there. I see no reason why they should stray so far from their analysis temp given their geography and the strong CAA/mixing we had. 

These events are really good for weeding out bad obs because the ridiculously mixed atmosphere basically just makes latitude and elevation the only significant factors. 

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So I’m this day and age, how does a home’s pipes freeze without losing power?  Or are those reports from homes that did lose it?

Sometimes a home heating system can’t keep up or if the home has poor insulation.   I think the water supply lines to our washing machine might be frozen.  Where they are is poorly insulated based on my looking at the situation.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Sometimes a home heating system can’t keep up or if the home has poor insulation.   I think the water supply lines to our washing machine might be frozen.  Where they are is poorly insulated based on my looking at the situation.  

Yeah it may be a flag that it’s time to replace the furnace….before it fails at a very inopportune time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

These events are really good for weeding out bad obs because the ridiculously mixed atmosphere basically just makes latitude and elevation the only significant factors. 

Yeah, one of these doesn’t pass the sniff test in central VT.

Very uniform minimum temps, and then a random -13F from MPV ASOS.  The only other -13F mins in the state are literally over the water of Lake Champlain and moderated by the relatively warm lake water.

9EDB77FE-AA62-4764-B88A-819945591B62.thumb.jpeg.1ded93a302f8aa5cd252da023b7d8479.jpeg

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, one of these doesn’t pass the sniff test in central VT.

Very uniform minimum temps, and then a random -13F from MPV ASOS.  The only other -13F mins in the state are literally over the water of Lake Champlain and moderated by the relatively warm lake water.

Yeah and that’s how I picked out ORH pretty quickly yesterday. I had been suspicious of them for a while (due to their monthly departures always being warmer than other sites recently) but didn’t bother to deep-dive until this cold snap…this was a perfect atmosphere to do a QC and they quickly did not pass the smell test. Solid 2-3F too warm. 

It looks like MPV’s malfunction was only yesterday though right? It seemed like from Brian’s graph that the ASOS there was fine for the first part of the day and then rapidly went haywire. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and that’s how I picked out ORH pretty quickly yesterday. I had been suspicious of them for a while (due to their monthly departures always being warmer than other sites recently) but didn’t bother to deep-dive until this cold snap…this was a perfect atmosphere to do a QC and they quickly did not pass the smell test. Solid 2-3F too warm. 

It looks like MPV’s malfunction was only yesterday though right? It seemed like from Brian’s graph that the ASOS there was fine for the first part of the day and then rapidly went haywire. 

Yeah I check MPV with some frequency and haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.  BTV, MVL, MPV are the ones I generally look at frequency and haven’t seen anything too weird. 

That one yesterday is a no brainer though.