• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Christmas 1980 really flies under the radar with the cheap midnight high. 18° at 5z for CON, 0° at 8z, and -15° at 12z. Then eating dinner at 2pm with an afternoon high of -8°. Then it briefly went calm the following night and they reported -25° although for some reason the ob looks discounted and -19° went in the books. 

That event came within a whisker of multiple fatalities on the back road between Frenchville and Fort Kent.  There's a stretch about 1.5 miles on that road that had only one occupied home - long-time friends would've made it two but were away for Christmas.  The elderly couple from that one home were driving back from midnight mass in Fenchville when they piled into a waist-high drift.  The man knew where the drift always would form, only 500' from home, but he looked at his wife in evening gown and heels and his heart sank.  They made it home but only when he dragged his near-unconscious wife across the dooryard.  A few minutes later a car coming from Fort Kent passed by and the couple turned on all outside/inside lights, knowing that the drift would catch that car, too.  It was a family of eight and several of the kids needed help and were so cold they couldn't speak.  They never would've survived had the first couple failed to get home.

BOS temp that day was 35/-7 and NYC 20/-1.  I've read that BOS only got back to zero that afternoon, NYC only to 7 (but warmed later as the 12/26 low was 8).

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There’s definitely a UHI thing too. Although the area has been built up quite a bit since the 50s. 

I’m not sure UHI matters much though when the cold is being delivered by 40kt winds. 

Yeah the move to the Logan airport site from a bit inland in 1936 had a much larger effect than any UHI. BOS proper was already quite built up by mid-20th century as you said. It’s not a situation like Dulles airport or Sea-Tac where a ton of land use changes happened. 

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They’re still separate sensors IIRC.

Yeah that’s what I thought but couldn’t remember. Unlikely both sensors would be fried so the dews are prob legit. 

Im just glad ORH didn’t put up -14 or -15 on the temps. Extremely unlikely they beat 2016’s reading of -16 given the surrounding mesonets. One in Paxton touched -17 but a few others didn’t and that one was at 1200 feet a couple hundred feet higher than airport. 

My weather station is on a windowsill in my kitchen. That gets pretty cold.  
Same here. I put the davis wifi unit in the window which is line of sight to the outdoor station. It was reading 36f against the window earlier. I really need to put it in a better spot so we have actual indoor house temp when we're away

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

BOS temp that day was 35/-7 and NYC 20/-1.  I've read that BOS only got back to zero that afternoon, NYC only to 7 (but warmed later as the 12/26 low was 8).

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Christmas 1980 really flies under the radar with the cheap midnight high. 18° at 5z for CON, 0° at 8z, and -15° at 12z. Then eating dinner at 2pm with an afternoon high of -8°. Then it briefly went calm the following night and they reported -25° although for some reason the ob looks discounted and -19° went in the books. 

Got a new pair of skates XMAS '80 and walked up to the local pond just south of Boston to try them out that afternoon - didn't last long. Plan to lace the same pair up later this PM at one of the local ponds in metrowest that looked safe this AM on inspection when things warm up a bit!

• Like 3

5F at lunchtime. I was expecting a slightly better rebound today but yesterday someone (I think wx2fish) mentioned the inversion kind of holding tough for a while with the high still cresting over New England….looks like that has happened so far. Might be the type of day where the max is closer to sunset than usual…we’ll see. 

• Like 2

Just went to get a couple things at the the local Star Market and all the refrigerated shelves were either empty or roped off with signs that said "scan and destroy".

Was informed by an employee it was so cold last night, the Freon or whatever runs the coolers froze last night. Not only did it happen there, but he mentioned it also happened at the Stars in Auburndale and the Pru Center! 

9 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

Just went to get a couple things at the the local Star Market and all the refrigerated shelves were either empty or roped off with signs that said "scan and destroy".

Was informed by an employee it was so cold last night, the Freon or whatever runs the coolers froze last night. Not only did it happen there, but he mentioned it also happened at the Stars in Auburndale and the Pru Center! 

Roof units not a rare occurrence 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

Which Star is this?  I often go to the one on chestnut hill.

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You have heat splits? Was wondering how well they operated last night

No that was our last house.  Conventional gas here and it worked fine.  We have a heat zone in our 4 season porch (my cave) but the split there is only used for cooling (put in by previous owners) and only rarely as the rest of the house zones cool that area 95% of the time.

• Like 1