• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was giving this some thought, that 'specific' concern regarding combination -

Like I said, the "the advection aspects" - I was including the sustaining wind/gusting in concert at a regional scale.  But as far as at this location/Ayer, there was a nor-easter in 2015 that had 12 hours of winds gusting to 50 mph in occasional milkshake white outs, at 1 F above zero! That's unfortunately countable if doing a straight up comparison.  Also, there was other times in that 2015 stretch where we sustained back side advection with single digit could...  So not as deep in wind chill, but close...and sustained for many hours.  2016 also had temperatures similar to this in that event, though I don't specifically recall the wind chill numbers in that.

So, like I said...I give this one an edge at a regional scope.  But it's debatable at this local area of N. Middl. Co whether this is the alpha romeo at in the VIP cold class. 

There was something about this that gave it more bite though. The low dews and wind made any exposed skin feel like it was starting to freeze instantly. I’ve had snotcicles many times before, but I was getting them last night before I even started breathing in. 

Shorter period of record for FIT, but this almost ran the 24hr record low dew gamut. 

image.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There was something about this that gave it more bite though. The low dews and wind made any exposed skin feel like it was starting to freeze instantly. I’ve had snotcicles many times before, but I was getting them last night before I even started breathing in. 

Shorter period of record for FIT, but this almost ran the 24hr record low dew gamut. 

image.png

Great graphic. I agree with Jerry this is memorable for sure. 

43 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Do you think you ever had a nite of colder weather when you incorporate the wind chill for the over nite  period . I think that has enough weight  to be included if one is really deep diving on how cold it was / felt 

Only in Fort Kent.  Coldest WCI, probably near -70, came on Jan 17-18, 1982.  Next would be Christmas 1980; ignoring the cheap max from the previous evening, that day's temp was -16/-23 with winds 30G45.  A week-plus later, Jan 3-4, 1981, was almost as brutal.  CAR's -16/-27 on the 4th is their coldest max; we had closer to -20/-34, with some moderate SN at -25.  Houlton had some rad and recorded -16/-41.
Also, NNJ probably reached WCI near -40 early on 12/31/62, with temp -8 and winds about 50G70, strong enough to uproot large bare-limbed oaks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Same. I keep it at that temp overnight. 

It’s easier to keep a house warm then to have to start low. I turned everything way up yesterday morning to pressurize the house and warm all the walls and concrete in the basement. My pellet stove is in the grooming rec room with registers upstairs and a fan spreading heat to the downstairs bedroom. Very comfortable sleeping at 70 while the other rooms were mid 70s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Only in Fort Kent.  Coldest WCI, probably near -70, came on Jan 17-18, 1982.  Next would be Christmas 1980; ignoring the cheap max from the previous evening, that day's temp was -16/-23 with winds 30G45.  A week-plus later, Jan 3-4, 1981, was almost as brutal.  CAR's -16/-27 on the 4th is their coldest max; we had closer to -20/-34, with some moderate SN at -25.  Houlton had some rad and recorded -16/-41.
Also, NNJ probably reached WCI near -40 early on 12/31/62, with temp -8 and winds about 50G70, strong enough to uproot large bare-limbed oaks.

Christmas 1980 really flies under the radar with the cheap midnight high. 18° at 5z for CON, 0° at 8z, and -15° at 12z. Then eating dinner at 2pm with an afternoon high of -8°. Then it briefly went calm the following night and they reported -25° although for some reason the ob looks discounted and -19° went in the books. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Christmas 1980 really flies under the radar with the cheap midnight high. 18° at 5z for CON, 0° at 8z, and -15° at 12z. Then eating dinner at 2pm with an afternoon high of -8°. Then it briefly went calm the following night and they reported -25° although for some reason the ob looks discounted and -19° went in the books. 

We drove from Cambridge to my grandmother’s house in Dorchester and I remember the sea smoke on the bay. 
my dad had to let the car warm up for a long time because the brake lines were frozen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.png
Those -37s look fraudulent 

I wonder if their dew sensor was operating ok….since we know the temp was running 2-3F too warm. 

Dec 1990 readings are totally fake. Wasn’t even that dry or cold of an airmass. 

18 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

image.png.eba35820ca4962d56ca20fbbed11fc54.png

Pretty telling that Boston went all the way from 1957 to now including the extreme winters of the 1960's and 70's to record such a low temperature. I wonder how much if anything that has to do with the increasing effects of the urban heat shield. I recorded temperatures as low as -18 to -20 in Monson, MA on a couple of occasions during the mid 90's

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wonder if their dew sensor was operating ok….since we know the temp was running 2-3F too warm. 

They’re still separate sensors IIRC.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

temp tt day was 31/22 with a trace of snow.  Previous day has >2" RA and 50s.

2 minutes ago, Hailstoned said:

Pretty telling that Boston went all the way from 1957 to now including the extreme winters of the 1960's and 70's to record such a low temperature. I wonder how much if anything that has to do with the increasing effects of the urban heat shield. I recorded temperatures as low as -18 to -20 in Monson, MA on a couple of occasions during the mid 90's

There’s definitely a UHI thing too. Although the area has been built up quite a bit since the 50s. 

I’m not sure UHI matters much though when the cold is being delivered by 40kt winds. 

• Like 4