• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

That sucked, one of the flaps on the doggie doors snapped completely in half when the big guy came back in. I had a replacement but it has these tiny Phillips screws so no gloves. Definitely started getting frostbite as my finger tips turned white. Luckily got it done and now my fingers are burning like a mofo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

That sucked, one of the flaps on the doggie doors snapped completely in half when the big guy came back in. I had a replacement but it has these tiny Phillips screws so no gloves. Definitely started getting frostbite has my finger tips turned white. Luckily got it done and now my fingers are burning like a mofo.

Light one up to warm em up

• Haha 4

-9 or -10 for the overnight low here in Dayville.  I think it hit -10 but very briefly.

Last week the lake had zero ice, today, deep freeze. 

Winds lapping the water on to the stone retaining wall, encasing the shore line in ice. There are some concrete blocks in there too.

Note the spray that turned into little balls of ice in the frozen water.

EDIT: I wasn't able to upload at a higher resolution so I had to resize the pics smaller, which sucks becuase of the low resolution look.

20230204_093650.jpg

20230204_093744.jpg

20230204_093716.jpg

20230204_093542.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we bottomed out at -13 here in Ayer.  Most home sites accessible via the web are -12 to -14...

We've been at least that cold several times over the 11 years ( too long!) I've lived at this location.  

I'm sure overall this event was historic for x-y-z reasons. There's no intent to dispute.  I'm sure someone's frozen to death, or someone's got a 60K burst pipe this or that or the other validating horror...  But in so far as what was empirically observed here in N Middlesex Co/W of 495, this was not an "all-time" ordeal. It was on par with handful of bottom miserable cold scenarios. 

It was certainly an out of the blue and strange one!!  The cold on Mt Washington, Boston... and just the advection aspect, too, these were all measured and clad. Together with the overall obviously should give this a distinctive edge at a broader consideration.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Cold morning on the hill.

Mansfield hit -35F, which I believe is the second coldest reading in February since 1954.  The only other one I could find colder was February 12, 1967 at -36F (also the monthly record).

Cold.jpg.be511ac6b8255cf5da7f3a976852fe48.jpg

Think whiteface hit -40 but trying to verify

image.thumb.png.04ba646f36b56e93bf0a3005dd904723.png

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

-9 or -10 for the overnight low here in Dayville.  I think it hit -10 but very briefly.

Last week the lake had zero ice, today, deep freeze. 

Winds lapping the water on to the stone retaining wall, encasing the shore line in ice. There are some concrete blocks in there too.

Note the spray that turned into little balls of ice in the frozen water.

20230204_093650.jpg

20230204_093744.jpg

20230204_093716.jpg

20230204_093542.jpg

Awesome pic I noticed how Moosup Pond flash froze and there are all these wavelets and white bubbles. The pond is all white looks like it snowed 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like we bottomed out at -13 here in Ayer.  Most home sites accessible via the web are -12 to -14...

We've been at least that cold several times over the 11 years ( too long!) I've lived at this location.  

I'm sure overall this event was historic for x-y-z reasons. There's no intent to dispute.  I'm sure someone's frozen to death, or someone's got a 60K burst pipe this or that or the other validating horror...  But in so far as what was empirically observed here in N Middlesex Co/W of 495, this was not an "all-time" ordeal. It was on par with handful of bottom miserable cold scenarios. 

It was certainly an out of the blue and strange one!!  The cold on Mt Washington, Boston... and just the advection aspect, too, these were all measured and clad. Together with the overall obviously should give this a distinctive edge at a broader consideration.   

Do you think you ever had a nite of colder weather when you incorporate the wind chill for the over nite  period . I think that has enough weight  to be included if one is really deep diving on how cold it was / felt 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Would be nice, but probably not. I don’t think they saw much of a dent after 2/2016 and we’ve seen those temps they have in the last 5 years yet a lot of those invasive bugs have still been creeping up to NNE. Those parrots in CT may be screwed though. :lol:

I hope that perhaps the hemlock wooley adelgid population in Maine might take a hit.  Since emerald ash beetle has been in the Madawaska area for 4-5 years, I doubt this Arctic blast will have much effect.  Fortunately, its spread there has been much slower than the infestation that started in SW Maine.  Folks in the north tend to get only local firewood, and ash (nearly all brown ash) is a very minor component of the forest there.

Low here was -22 and the temp stayed within one degree of that from 8 last evening thru 7 this morning.  Last 20 hours the temp was like sliding off the coastal shelf down to the benthic plain.  With winds at a house-creaking (and estimated) 25G40 last evening, WCI approached -50.  Last time our home had -20s with strong wind was in the early 1980s in Fort Kent.  Actual temp was nothing special - our average for winter's coldest is 25 below - but the wind made it generational.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Do you think you ever had a nite of colder weather when you incorporate the wind chill for the over nite  period . I think that has enough weight  to be included if one is really deep diving on how cold it was / felt 

I don’t think any other event in my lifetime exceeded the wind chills of this one on a sustained basis. This was pretty brutal for about 8-12 hours. We’ve had longer outbreaks for sure…this one was really short but incredibly intense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

All these wxstation pics with interior temp 60. Toasty 73 here with the pellet stove cranking away.

I have my stove on the opposite side of the house from the bedrooms. It’s tough to get the heat down the hallway to the other side. The living room is a toasty 75 though. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was giving this some thought, that 'specific' concern regarding combination -

Like I said, the "the advection aspects" - I was including the sustaining wind/gusting as windchill, in that heading and at a regional scale.  But as far as at this location/Ayer, there was a nor-easter in 2015 that had 12 hours of winds gusting to 50 mph in occasional milkshake white outs, at 1 F above zero! It went to -5 before coming back after midnight.  That's unfortunately countable if doing a straight up comparison.  Also, there was other times in that 2015 stretch where we sustained back side advection with single digit cold...  So not as deep in wind chill, no, but close...and sustained for many hours.  2016 also had temperatures similar to this in that event, though I don't specifically recall the wind chill numbers in that.

So, like I said...I give this one an edge at a regional scope.  But it's debatable at this local area of N. Middl. Co whether this is the alpha romeo at in the VIP cold class.  I guess in the end it's really a nerds rage, because at civility concerns any of those scenarios of lore would just about be sensibly indistinguishable

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

All these wxstation pics with interior temp 60. Toasty 73 here with the pellet stove cranking away.

Well, that pic was like 630ish AM in my family room before anyone was up. Keep it 60-62 over night. Have 4 zones in house and a jotul stove, no problem heating up areas when I need to.

• Like 2

This frigid shot was as good as a blizzard to me.   BOS hits -10….thought it couldn’t be done but it happened seemingly easily.  My wife and I went out at the peak near midnight for a walk-her idea making this a good marriage!   Every part of our faces covered-hers with a cloth mask and pull down hats and me with a contraption that did the same.  I then fortified mine with 2 hats and earmuffs, heavy gloves and fleece mittens over.  I was wearing fleece lined pants bought 2 years ago and finally able to be worn!   It was a special event!

• Like 13