• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lots of kids going to school with temps upper 20s and not caring. Leaving with temps in single digits with wind chills -20s. Unfortunately many students are not capable of dressing right for many reasons.

I told my kids to be prepared for it.   Got a bunch of eye rolls.      
They better not bitch about it if their nuts freeze

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Lots of kids going to school with temps upper 20s and not caring. Leaving with temps in single digits with wind chills -20s. Unfortunately many students are not capable of dressing right for many reasons.

When I was in Grammar school every time it cold like this the old boiler would break down and they would send us home, I had more days off for cold than snow back then.

There is a tremendous amount of coordination that takes place between NWS, private sector mets, towns and school districts during events like this... Very strongly worded discussions have been distributed by NWS folks in all the warning and advisory areas.  But there is only so much you can do.  In the end, if comes down to parental guidance and the willingness of the folks to heed the advise.  Elementary kids usually are actually pretty well prepared by the parents; high school kids are a whole different animal.  The Boston situation (lots of walkers) is all predicated on the timing of the true arctic air arrival & increasing wind speeds; the morning is no big deal, but the elementary kids head home in the 3:30 to 4:30 pm period and by then it is going to be nasty.  They are trying to protect the mid / late afternoon period.

I’m not gonna lie, if it’s for temps single digits or teens… I’d think they should cancel for humidity and decent heat in warm season too.  At least once you are at school you are in heat… but when it’s warm outside, you are baking in non-A/C rooms.  That sounds much worse.

But I guess it’s all relative to climo.  They get let out in the Deep South for stuff Kev runs in Under Armor and t-shirt/shorts.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I’m not gonna lie, if it’s for temps single digits or teens… I’d think they should cancel for humidity and decent heat in warm season too.  At least once you are at school you are in heat… but when it’s warm outside, you are baking in non-A/C rooms.  That sounds much worse.

I think it’s the WCs that are really the issue. We all joke around about fake cold but it’s the wind that really causes issues. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s not that. We have single digits and teens occur many times in normal Winters. I think recent confirmation bias along with timing of cold leads to this. I’m not justifying this, but a city like Boston has a lot to consider. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s not that. We have single digits and teens occur many times in normal Winters. I think recent confirmation bias along with timing of cold leads to this. I’m not justifying this, but a city like Boston has a lot to consider. 

Yeah I guess the type of winter we’ve had goes into it.  Just surprising during/near climo coldest time of year.  If January was normal temps, you’d imagine it doesn’t happen.  Who knows.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, wish we were there. Good luck NNE.

MSS gusted 40kts in M1/4 +SN.  Some good obs from upstate NY.

Winds are hammering out of the south ahead of the FROPA.  VT Road Conditions page with a lot of reports of accidents and vehicles off roads in the Champlain Valley around BTV from blowing and drifting snow.  Plows out despite no falling snow.

The real joke is the road named Cheesecake Factory with no Cheesecake Factory in the state.

8411C40E-99C3-45EE-A1AC-10B20DFB7B94.jpeg.8b95804e68f0b48fddc922f1dce4bb58.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

MSS gusted 40kts in M1/4 +SN.  Some good obs from upstate NY.

Winds are hammering out of the south ahead of the FROPA.  VT Road Conditions page with a lot of reports of accidents and vehicles off roads in the Champlain Valley around BTV from blowing and drifting snow.  Plows out despite no falling snow.

The real joke is the road named Cheesecake Factory with no Cheesecake Factory in the state.

8411C40E-99C3-45EE-A1AC-10B20DFB7B94.jpeg.8b95804e68f0b48fddc922f1dce4bb58.jpeg

Yikes, that’s not pretty.