• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s definitely worse timing up north. Down here it doesn’t really get bad until afternoon and even then, the real nasty stuff is prob not until after sunset…esp down in CT. Up in NNE it could be just starting to get bad in morning but it’s full-on dangerous by the time school is out. 

Agree... I would be recommending cancelations up north...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sn0waddict said:

Blizzard warning currently in northern Maine for 1 inch of snow lol

Ever seen the potato fields there.  Doesn't take much to cause a whiteout and they've had enough snow that the roadside piles are high, which leads to snow swirling in the roadway for even less visibility.
The only total whiteouts in which I've been caught came on sunny days. 

The first was in January 1971 as I headed home to NNJ from a ski week in VT and crossed into NY at Crown Point.  The wind was north, with a fetch that included Lake Champlain, and it was a mile of stark terror.  Met one vehicle and fortunately we each were going <10 mph as our headlights became visible at about 10 yards. 

2nd was in April while driving from Fort Kent to St.-Pamphile after the deck of woods bridge over the St. John had been pulled before ice-out.  The SW wind was blowing straight downriver on the St. Lawrence and the NW-SE range roads approaching the Trans Canada were at right angles.  Several road cuts were so blinded that had I hit something, I would've had to get out to see what it was - literally could not see the end of the pickup's hood.  The TC was better, being elevated for most of the 40 miles I'd be on it.  However, I found that the throttle was stuck, and my tapping the pedal trying to knock it loose merely floorboarded that pedal.  The 40-mph headwind plus my small 6-cyl C-10 held velocity to 55-60 so I rode it to the St.-Jean-Port-Joli, the St.-P exit, where I turned off the engine, coasted to a parking lot and removed the crusted ice on the throttle cable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will be dipping below zero then with that wind. Sure hope they are bundled up.

Given a full warning in place, most districts would be wary of bucking the strong wording in the warning.  Opens the door for criticism if something bad happens...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If it's -10, I'm out there in a speedo with the boiling water in a pot trick. Fisher can retweet that.

-10 at Logan would be even colder than they got in 2016. I’ll take the over. Prob somewhere around -7 or -8. Still ridiculous for them. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If it's -10, I'm out there in a speedo with the boiling water in a pot trick. Fisher can retweet that.

then our :stein:friend will retweet it stating that you are wasting a valuable resource and likely to be causing future droughts.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Are there any Peter Sinks like spots up there. I remember some -40 readings in VT many years ago.

Won’t matter anyway. Wind will be too strong. It might decouple further west though like around SLK. Those would be the rad pits to look at Friday night/early Saturday morning. 

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

-10 at Logan would be even colder than they got in 2016. I’ll take the over. Prob somewhere around -7 or -8. Still ridiculous for them. 

I was thinking -5 or -6 this morning. Still think 2m temps overdoing it, but I certainly am open to it being colder than what I said earlier.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was thinking -5 or -6 this morning. Still think 2m temps overdoing it, but I certainly am open to it being colder than what I said earlier.

I think if we had some snow pack and calm Conditions to radiate we’d see bigger numbers down here, but think we stay in the -5/-7 range

1 minute ago, Modfan2 said:

I think if we had some snow pack and calm Conditions to radiate we’d see bigger numbers down here, but think we stay in the -5/-7 range

That doesn't have the same bite though. This will feel absolutely brutal with the wind. Like Star Wars cut open the Tauntauns for warmth type stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Logan has gone below -5˚ 10 days, and half of those were Dec 1942 to Feb 1943. Anything below -5 is a once-in-a-decade occurrence (1942-3, 1957, 1980, 2004, 2016).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I am more inclined to believe the 2m temps in this type of setup vs the radiational cooling nights. The warmest 2m temps are the NAM right now which is your -5 to -6 range. GFS is maybe barely colder. Euro is wild with -10 or colder.

I went back and looked at Vday 2016 and the Euro was going like -11 or -12 at BOS, so it ended up a couple degrees too cold, but not too far off. GFS was awful in that one....was like 5F too warm 36 hours out. Though I know the model has been upgraded since then. The MAV guidance was hilarious though....it was like 8-10F too warm. Too much climo on a 24 hour forecast i guess. :lol:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Good to see the man cold visit up north. None of this foo foo clear and calm stuff. This is pure rip your Carhartt off and pull out the man bun type stuff.

We love to see it. 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Still hard to believe this is the entire regions greatest winter event. Sad but true 

Sucks, but it is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I am more inclined to believe the 2m temps in this type of setup vs the radiational cooling nights. The warmest 2m temps are the NAM right now which is your -5 to -6 range. GFS is maybe barely colder. Euro is wild with -10 or colder.

I went back and looked at Vday 2016 and the Euro was going like -11 or -12 at BOS, so it ended up a couple degrees too cold, but not too far off. GFS was awful in that one....was like 5F too warm 36 hours out. Though I know the model has been upgraded since then.

They amazing part is that we’ll be in the 40’s on Sunday

1 minute ago, Modfan2 said:

They amazing part is that we’ll be in the 40’s on Sunday

Very similar to Vday 2016 cold shot...its in and out in like 24-30 hours. We were in the 50s on that Monday after being below zero Sunday morning.

• Like 1